Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Where are you riding this weekend?

1K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  bm_stark 
#1 ·
I'm doing Mt. Pinos this weekend with some buds. We'll start at the McGill trail head, I'll add on the motorcycle trails from Cuddy turnout. It should be epic!

#4 ·
I'll be doing the Whiting/STT/Luge loop.

Starting out through Whiting, out the backside of Whiting at 4 corners to Santiago Canyon Rd, up to the Santiago Truck Trail, down the luge, back into Whiting (by the stables), and then through the rest of Whiting then back to the start.

It's about 16-18 miles.

#7 ·
Mt. Wilson/Merrills Rock!

SScheetz said:
Mt. Wilson Toll road, then down upper, middle and lower Sam Merrill. Starting at 5:30 AM tomorrow (sat). Join us if you're interested.
I'm riding Pinos tomorrow, but next time yeah! Are you also doing Sunset Ridge and El Prieto? Are you doing this ride on a full rigid?

I just did Mt Wilson Toll Road then down Rim Trail to Newcomb to Chantry about 2 weeks ago. It was a blast.

later

#10 ·
mtbski said:
I'm riding Pinos tomorrow, but next time yeah! Are you also doing Sunset Ridge and El Prieto? Are you doing this ride on a full rigid?

I just did Mt Wilson Toll Road then down Rim Trail to Newcomb to Chantry about 2 weeks ago. It was a blast.

later
We might do Sunset and El Prieto, don't know 'till we're there. Lower M gets full of hikers so that's a good option.

And ... yes, full rigid SS.

I've done the Chantry route, it's a blast.

#13 ·
What are the MX trails?

mtbski said:
I'm doing Mt. Pinos this weekend with some buds. We'll start at the McGill trail head, I'll add on the motorcycle trails from Cuddy turnout. It should be epic!
What are the MX trails @ Mt Pinios?
We did Pinos a couple of weeks back, from very bottom to top, really tempted to head out north on the ridge trail @ top, but I guess that's wilderness, & don't know where it dumps out anyhow. Really pretty area, feels like you're really in the mountains.....well, I guess you are.
Have fun

#19 ·
mtnbikej said:
Hmmmmm......I spent all weekend rding the 24hr course out at Hurkey Creek in Idyllwild.

mtnbikej
I was just there yesterday. We rode up past the singletrack turn off for the 24hr course up to the Ernie Maxwell Tr into Humber Park. Hurkey Creek is really becoming popular, we saw lots of folk riding yesterday. Unfortunately the Deer Flies were hungry too. :(

#21 ·
Scott Russell Fire-MX Trails

kneecap said:
What are the MX trails @ Mt Pinios?
We did Pinos a couple of weeks back, from very bottom to top, really tempted to head out north on the ridge trail @ top, but I guess that's wilderness, & don't know where it dumps out anyhow. Really pretty area, feels like you're really in the mountains.....well, I guess you are.
Have fun
The trails are located off the Scott Russell Fire Road. After getting off the Fwy head west bound about 3 miles?, park at cuddy turnout on right hand side just past Scott Russell fire rd. Park at turnout, climb Scott Russell fire rd to mx trail about 2 miles?(be careful, you could miss it). MX trail will eventually dump you back on another main fireroad heading downhill and toward Pinos direction ending in a large dirt lot adjacent to hwy. Follow singletrack parallell to hwy to McGill trailhead and head up to Pinos. This add on to Pinos will add about 5 miles each way making your Pinos ride just about 30 miles! The MX trail heading back is murder because of the sand and miday heat in the summer so watch out! Make sue you pack enough water. Alternate return route: return to Cuddy turnout via Singletrack which is parallell to hwy. Enjoy!

#22 ·
NappyT said:
I will be going there this weekend for the first time. I am thinking about entering the race in Sept.

How was the trail? Do you have any tips?

Thanks
Trail was in great condition. There were a few areas that are starting to get soft and sandy. The downhills are in really good shape.

The only tip I have is to ride early or late....it is starting to get hot out there.

mtnbikej

#23 ·
the pup said:
I was just there yesterday. We rode up past the singletrack turn off for the 24hr course up to the Ernie Maxwell Tr into Humber Park. Hurkey Creek is really becoming popular, we saw lots of folk riding yesterday. Unfortunately the Deer Flies were hungry too. :(
Yeah, we camped out there all weekend. Really did not see a whole lot of riders on saturday.....did 2 laps.

Sunday seemed to be more popular with the riders. Took the singlespeed out with my wife about 9:30/10:00. Saw a few riders at the end of the first singletrack climb, but that was it.

mtnbikej

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.