mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Where you coming down from Brown Mtn or Arroyo Seco today?

I'm looking for 2 guys possibly wearing full face helmets and short in stature coming down the asphalt road just passing the first bridge when you exit Brown Fire Road. It's a Friday, April 3, 2009. It was between 5:15pm and 5:45pm, and I was climbing the asphalt road. After these guys passed me and were quite a distance away, one of them yelled " Hey Fool, you forgot your helmet "!

I was just thinking what a cowardly act, yelling from a very far distance. However, I'm sure you were looking out for me. Next time, you should make that statement when I'm right in front of your face.

I just wanted to meet you in person as soon as possible and thank you personally for your concern. I hope we meet again very soon.

This isn't a pro/con of wearing a helmet debate. If you want a debate, please start your own thread! I happen to forget my helmet in a mad dash to Pasadena from South Orange County. I own a helmet and use it often.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Foothill Ranch Charles; 04-07-2009 at 04:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Relax, life is too short!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I hate it when the helmet police is out too. It pisses me off that people can't say "hi", "how's it going?", etc., but they sure like to comment if you're not wearing a helmet.

Glad to Be Alive
    who was the fool without the helmet?? I guess if you have nothing to protect
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I take off the helmet frequently when climbing Brown fire road. I keep expecting someone to say something on the couple of DH sections past the saddle on the way to the top.....

FTM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball
    I take off the helmet frequently when climbing Brown fire road. I keep expecting someone to say something on the couple of DH sections past the saddle on the way to the top.....
    Too many inexperienced riders and idiots coming down the fire road for me to feel comfortable without a helmet while climbing. I'd probably feel safer wearing it up and taking it off for the ride down; I know my skill level.

Also, if you're carrying the weight anyhow, why not put it to use or get a better ventilated helmet?

I don't care if an adult chooses to wear a helmet or not, just don't crash into me or tear up the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    Also, if you're carrying the weight anyhow, why not put it to use or get a better ventilated helmet?
    even with a Bell Sweep XC it is way cooler on warm afternoons with no helmet. I usually ride in the late afternoons before the after work crowds....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball
    I frequently see people climb up with out wearing a helmet.

Hey have you ever come across this? This afternoon (Saturday 4/4/09), I over heard a conversation between 2 horse riders and an female adult with a group of children. The adult hiker ask the female horse rider.. " How do you handle these trails? We were almost run over by Mountain Bikers so many times!".

Then while still on the asphalt road before the turn off to Brown Mountain Fire Road, a young couple had to veer to the left of the asphalt road to avoid the water run off and stay dry. Well, here comes a mountain biker yelling..."left, left, left,left" and then he started loudly saying "****, ****,****" while putting distance between him and the young couple.

Oh and watch out when you come across this lady mountain biker with her two dogs with out a leash. She'll tell you the dogs won't bark but one of the pooches will go straight for you. That's the second time she did that to me. Next time I will have to introduce my foot to her little doggie. lol.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I passed a helmet-less fool while riding up Torrey Pines Grade today on a road ride. He wasn't carrying one either. What do I care? I don't. His skull. I hope he didn't crash riding down Genesee, as it's easy to break 40 mph on that stretch.

Brilliant.
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by funurdiesel
    I hate it when the helmet police is out too. It pisses me off that people can't say "hi", "how's it going?", etc., but they sure like to comment if you're not wearing a helmet.

"Helmet Police"....lol.

mtbr member
    Maybe he has Torret syndrome

Everybody have an opinion. But im wondering if you wanted to confront this person that bad you could have easily turned around and cought up to them.

Anyway I've seen guys with no helmet all the time especially in the summer time, I don't blame them.

Just relax and enjoy the mountain....

mtbr member
    Are you sure they were yelling at you? Maybe they were yelling at a different fool that wasn't wearing a helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No brain bucket = no brains

But I give you the freedom to choose. People do all kinds of silly stuff all day and I will be the last to tell them know.

Now if you start costing me money because of a poor decision, then now I have a problem.
    I am not mtbbill - but I wish I was! http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

pewpewpew Moderator
    I don't care if you don't wear a helmet.

I do care a hell of a lot if I have to cut my ride short to scrape your brain injured self off the trail and into an ambulance. And it has happened, more than once. One collision was a guy riding uphill who crashed into a guy riding downhill. On a fireroad. Hour and a half later my karma was good but my ride was aborted prematurely.
    Love, Impy

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by funurdiesel

no helmet, no acknowledgment

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bill_in_sd
    No brain bucket = no brains

But I give you the freedom to choose. People do all kinds of silly stuff all day and I will be the last to tell them know.

Now if you start costing me money because of a poor decision, then now I have a problem.
    Duh!
    Last edited by Foothill Ranch Charles; 04-07-2009 at 04:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy

I do care a hell of a lot if I have to cut my ride short to scrape your brain injured self off the trail and into an ambulance. And it has happened, more than once. One collision was a guy riding uphill who crashed into a guy riding downhill. On a fireroad. Hour and a half later my karma was good but my ride was aborted prematurely.

Double Duh.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sorry for the thread drift...

No, that was not me coming down the hill. (In reference to the original question)
    I am not mtbbill - but I wish I was! http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

official eMpTyBRain
    Sorry to hear that you forgot your helmet. I may have said something, but politely.

Helmets should be worn AT ALL TIMES, going uphill or down.

I have a friend who knew someone who was in law enforcement who was an established rider who did not wear his helmet, had a simple but uncontroled fall on level ground, hit his head and DIED OF A BRAIN HEMORAGE!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Way to show up those cowards by talking smack on the computer after the ride ... While you're at it, maybe google "anger management" and see where that takes you ...

The guy with 5 kids
    Was he a black guy with a bunch of gold chains and a mohawk??

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy

Amen to that! I don't want to be picking any brains up off the trail.

Kenny Powers
    The only helmetless people I yell at are people at local jump/ dh spots. If they eat it and die and their brains splat all over the ground then our trails get closed. I never forget my helmet. I would have died 6 or 7 times now if I had no been wearing a helmet. Just don't forget it. Its not worth it!!
    805/ 530