PTV
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Where are there good, long fire roads ?

Looking for failry smmoth fire roads - not too much up and down - just fast, flowing stuff....
    Any ideas in Socal area - specifically LA area ?

I <3 Dirt
    Isn't that an oxymoron?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Chino Hills State Parks in Yorba Linda/Chino has miles of long fire road. But it is up and down.

So is your face
    Pretty much all fire roads are up and down. There are a couple in the LA area that don't have much of either, however. You could try Big Sycamore in Malibu or Cheeseboro Canyon in Agoura Hills.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

PTV
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

fair point

...yeah, I get what you are saying.... now of course I'm expecting some up and down...and would want that - but I'm just wondering where there may be trails where it isn't all either up or down - ie, some flats in between....

mtbr member
    Will repost in a minute

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You could drive down to SD and do Nate Harrison Grade. Pretty sure that is all up and then all down. Or, at least predominately so.

I've never ridden it, so can't comment on what it's like. I think mountainbikebill rode it and did a report on it not too long ago.

mtbr member
    Dirt Mulholland is approx. 14mi round trip between Encino Hills Dr and Topanga, if you get board you can always hit one of the many offshoots on either side of the hill.

Chesebro is fairly flat and a fun ride, just do the first part and not ride up Palo Camado

San Fernando Mission Bl between De Soto and Tamps is almost exactly like what you decribed and when you get to Tampa you can head up Limekiln Cyn as well

PTV
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Many thanks all....

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by PTV
    ...yeah, I get what you are saying.... now of course I'm expecting some up and down...and would want that - but I'm just wondering where there may be trails where it isn't all either up or down - ie, some flats in between....
    I'm just teasing you. I don't ride in LA, so I'm not much help. I prefer singletrack, but don't mind climbing fireroad if it leads to good singletrack. Hope you find something new that you like.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Lots of the fireroads are mostly up (and then mostly down). From West LA, you could do Sullivan Ridge or (shorter) Westridge, but they are (mostly) up one way. Dirt Mulholland is a good suggestion, it's long (but I find it too boring). Probably the best for up and down is around the Hub; you can get there simply from the top of Reseda, go on dirt Mulholland for a little bit, then turn off to the road taking you to the Hub, and then ride around there.

For the Cheeseboro area, you could try Baleen Wall/Cheeseboro Ridge trail - a bit of up and down along there, and really nice views in places. Or go up Powerlines and all the way around to Alberson Motorway - many miles of fire road there, and drops you back in a really nice area.

Out in Sycamore Canyon, you can take the fire road along the ridge, that does some significant climbing but then is up and down (though I much prefer the singletrack).

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Ventura County stuff

1. Sisar Canyon- 9 - 12 miles, 3,000 - 4,000 elevation gain, oak cyn @ bottom, ocean views @ top, single track option on decent (steep)
    2. Sulphur Mtn Rd. - 9 miles, 2,000' gain great views

both are up n back