I'm such a fox

Where to ride a road bike?

I know I know, pretty much just about anywhere when it comes to road. I'm interested more in long training rides with as little car traffic as possible. Those of you who ride road in Socal; Where do you ride to rack up the miles? I'm located in Los Angeles, da hood area, near Gardena and Compton so I'm pretty much looking for areas I can drive to and then jump on the bike in the Socal Area.

cask conditioned
    The Santa Monica's are my favorite roadie-ing area. From Mullholland Hwy or PCH you can do numerous loops. I like to park either at Mullholland and Las Virgenes (to do Mul->Kanan->Agoura Rd->Las Virgenes: a nice, shorter loop. Or head up Piuma and come down Stunt Rd), or park at Malibu Colony (to go up Malibu Cyn->Mullholland->Kanan->Latigo->PCH). There are so many loops you can do with Encinal, Los Flores, Topanga, Kanan, Agoura Rd, it goes on and on, just look at map and go for it. For your first time I'd recommend a simple out n back up Latigo Rd. from Santa Monica and PCH. The views are great, the climb is nice and varied and the dh is really fun.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

ever forward
    Never confuse effort with results

I'm such a fox
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will hopefully make up my mind on which bike to buy and will give those a try sometime next weekend.

mtbr member
    To avoid cars:
    #1 Ride Lockwood Valley between Highway 33 and Lake of the Woods (near Frazier Park)
    #2 From Wrightwood take Highway 2 to Vincent Gap. In a good snow year the road is closed to cars but bikes can go around the gate. A highway just for bikes!

SSped
    Jan 2004

Santiago Canyon

In South orange county we do loops through santiago canyon. you can ride from irvine lake in orange hills and out to trabuco and then back on jamboree. it is a great decent ride without to much traffic and great bike lanes.

Just another Homer

Many

many rides out there.I like about a 40 mile loop going up to Baldy Village.You can find the route on any map.Climb Glendora Mountain Road and descend down Mountain Ave.Most of the time they have this road closed to vehicle traffic,so it's all left to the bikes. Also we ride about a 100 miles every Saturday morning. We usually start round 6:30 and get done around 12:30.If you want to join us reply here.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A buddy of mine told me he used to ride in the Griffith Park area. Other than that in the LA area, ask at shops, and pick up flyers from local bike clubs.

Also, California Cyclist is a cool little free monthly magazine you can find at a lot of shops. they always have extensive ride calendars in the back, listing all sorts of club rides, fun rides, and races. It's helpful in finding other areas and people to ride with.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Palos Verdes is a good place for road riding.

Just another Homer

Most

places along the coast are fun to ride.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

I'm such a fox
    Thanks for the additional recommendations. I've driven through PV and had forgotten about the roadies I had seen up there. I will definitely consider that one since it's so near home.