mtbr member
    Jan 2007

... and if we just ... Where to ride in Irvine.

Hey there brothers and sisters,

I live in Los Angeles, but spend a lot of the week with the girlfriend in Irvine (east of the 5 freeway). I'd like to know if there are any good trails around those mountains in the distance that I can perhaps ride to from her place. I've been told that most of those hills are privately owned and are off-limits.

I've done the whole Aliso thing (the closest to drive to) but I just don't feel like driving most of the time. At least not very far.

My "backyard" trails are the Santa Monicas, but I prefer trails in the San Gabe's such as El Prieto and Sunset. Regardless, I am looking for any type of riding in the Irvine area that I can do perhaps on a weekday evening or Saturday morning quickie.

Any suggestions? Directions? Much appreciated!
    Last edited by BullitBoyJon; 06-06-2008 at 01:48 PM.

keep the shiny side up!
    have you ridden whiting ranch?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    No, I haven't ridden Whiting Ranch. Isn't that place currently closed due to the fires in October of '07?

mtbr member
    try Holy Jim by cooks corner. it is a very nice trail just park at the O neill wilderness area and ride in. that way it is free and you dont need an adventure pass. you can ride all day out there. there are also a few other rides and the main devide trail too

karl

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Good job!

Thanks for the posts! I just looked up Holy Jim and an out-and-back sounds good to start with.

nerfherder
    How about Santiago Oaks? Doable, I think, if you don't mind riding up Jamboree for a few miles.

mtbr member
    I live in Irvine. If you're down to ride the west side towards the ocean the best close spots are Laguna Wilderness, El Moro, and cross over to Aliso Woods.

East side of Irvine you have tons of options: San Juan Trail, Holy Jim, Trabuco Canyon/West Horsethief/Main Divide Loop. I think harding/luge/flagpole and whiting is still closed??

I'm probably going to be riding tomorrow in this area (I just leave from my house) if you want a mini tour of LW and ELM.
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    How about Santiago Oaks? Doable, I think, if you don't mind riding up Jamboree for a few miles.
    Ditto on that. I still haven't ridden there yet and I've lived here for 18 years
    "The most persistent principles of the universe are accident and error." -Frank Herbert

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for the all the info! Ended up doing Chantry Flats today. Will definitely hit up Santiago Oaks sometime as that seems to be the closest one to where I stay. Ride on!