Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Where to live in San Diego?

Looking to relocate to San Diego while the buying is good from the san fernando valley. Trying to escape the heat. Looking for cooler climes. Looking for a newer development with all the givens... low crime, good schools, family oriented, multicultural, no more than 20 miles to the airport, $600k max price. Don't want to be too close to coast as to avoid the overcast/fog that comes with that territory but not too hot either...at least cooler than woodland hills. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    There's plenty of foreclosures in the Chula Vista/Eastlake area of San Diego. If you got the cash handy, you could pick up a huge house at auction for around $300k. That area is seriously hurting and there's plenty of desperate people who need to sell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I used to live down that way and still have ties. The "June Gloom" fog line fluctuates, but goes roughly 5 miles inland. Drive around University City as an example and look at the difference in landscape between the west and east ends. The trade-off is that as you go inland, it is also hotter in the summer. Escondido, Santee, Poway, El Cajon are all a lot warmer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Rancho Penasquitos if you like Mountain Biking

Rancho Penasquitos would be a great choice since you are close to Los Penasquitos reserve, Santa Luz loop, and Black Mountain Open Space. Climate is also in the middle between Coastal fog and inland heat.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    4S Ranch, Del Sur, Santa Luz, are nice new area's, and are in the famed Poway School District.

Other places to check are Pacific Highlands Ranch, Torrey Highlands, and Carmel Valley, all good school districts.

I live in 4S Ranch, and it very family friendly. The wife is originally from the San Fernando Valley.

It is not as cool as some of the coastal cities, but a lot cooler than where you are know.

http://www.4sranch.com/

http://www.delsurliving.com/

http://www.santaluz.com/

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    I live in the Penasquitos area. Only about 5 degrees warmer than the coast most days and the fog burns off earlier. Good hilly area and decent trails out your back door. You even have views of the ocean from a lot of homes here. The place is centrally located in the county too...not too far from downtown, north county coast, ten minutes from nearest beach (Torrey Pines) and the public schools are good. You can find something decent for $600. Great road riding too, if you feel the need.

I used to live in Valencia, which was a bloody furnace in the summer. Don't miss it. I even lived in Van Nuys at one point, which was the absolute low point of my life.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Look at San Elijo Hills in San Marcos.
    Go here: http://www.sanelijohills.com/
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    i was going to suggest 4s or carmel mountain.

i live in carmel valley, and we are close enough to the coast to get overcast and foggy. but, i can ride to lpq, and i like the fog.

mtbr member
    Great info.... thanks to all.

I <3 Dirt
    I'd recommend Tierrasanta. You can ride from your house to Mission Trails Regional Park (MTRP), you are close to other trailheads, and it is very centrally located so it's easy to get anywhere with the 15, 52 and the 8 nearby. Very safe, great schools with a family atmosphere, and although it's not a new development like 4S or SEH it is very well maintained and a desireable part of SD.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    golden hill or logan heights

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Do not buy now. Market is still going down. Wait. Anyone who tells you now is a good time to buy is a real estate agent. Now is not a bad time to buy but it will get better.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Today in San Diego it is cooler than Woodland Hills...... sort of... it's all relative.

mtbr member
    Sandmangts, I find it funny how you are advising on when to buy (or not buy), and it doesn't sound as though you are in the real estate industry. Agents are saying itís a good time to buy because it IS a good time to buy. Interest rates are still very low, but starting to climb right now. Even if some areas are declining still, that does not mean everyone should not buy. If you plan on staying in the home for awhile (3-5 years), itís a great opportunity to buy a home for your family and have the upper hand as the buyer in the buyers market, try and have the seller pay your closing costs in a sellers market! If you are looking to buy and sell in the short term(banking on appreciation and using your house as an ATM) then maybe now isn't the best time. Its time in the market, not timing the market! If you are waiting for the magic time to buy, like maybe when prices start to climb again? Then you and everyone else who is waiting will create the buying frenzy that drives the prices up and gives the sellers the upper hand, bye bye buyers market! Now the home you were eyeballing for 350K has creeped up to 375K with multiple offers. Don't listen to the media, all the media does is spread fear. Real estate professionals are advising qualified people to buy now because there are wonderful opportunities right now, some with multiple offers, even now in this "Bad" market. The correctly priced homes are selling, and fast. At least here in San Diego. My wife and I found a home for a first time buyer with $51,000 in equity. It was an REO(bank owned) listed around 50K below comparables. When we were showing it to her, another agent and his clients were just leaving, the agent said on the way out, ďA deal like this isnít going to last past the weekendĒ It didnít, we put in an offer that day. I don't see how that would be a bad thing for our buyer! Itís a buyers market now, where will you be when itís over!

Scott

CEB
    No horse'n round

Agreed....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A.
    Sandmangts, I find it funny how you are advising on when to buy (or not buy), and it doesn't sound as though you are in the real estate industry. Agents are saying it’s a good time to buy because it IS a good time to buy. ...snip... It’s a buyers market now, where will you be when it’s over!

Scott
    So very correct. This is the third time I've ridden through a RE market like this. Just when everyone thinks the market is a vacuum...zoooooom go the real deals and the race is on once again. The media (poorly paid "journalists" can't afford a home of their own) have NEVER once during the 8 year run up in values from 1996 thru 2004 proclaimed its time to buy. The sage advise as Scott said is plan to own a property for longer than 3+ years. Is that a long time to live in one place?? And don't repeat the most recent stupidity.... DON'T GET A LOAN THAT WON'T LAST AS LONG AS YOUR INTENDED OWNERSHIP! If you can't afford a loan when it adjusts, don't get it ... duh!?!?!?

As for the OP........... get yourself a house, settle in and start riding some of the best YEAR ROUND trails in the nation, LowSoCal!!!

Chip in San Diego (oh , yes, I AM a real estate agent, since 1983)
    Last edited by CEB; 06-23-2008 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Not to rag on you real estate guys, but were you ever advising your clients to buy at the top of the market???

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf
    Not to rag on you real estate guys, but were you ever advising your clients to buy at the top of the market???
    If you need a place to live......yes! If you wanted to roll over a tax deferred 1031 exchange,...yes! I never told someone not to buy, what I did say was don't plan a 2 year ownership, that is poor planning.

Even Julian RE is a good buy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    If you need a place to live......yes! If you wanted to roll over a tax deferred 1031 exchange,...yes! I never told someone not to buy, what I did say was don't plan a 2 year ownership, that is poor planning.

Even Julian RE is a good buy!

I think the market is still going down. Much of what sandmangts had to say is true. Just because he isn't in the real estate business doesn't mean he doesn't know of which he speaks.
    I have many friends in real estate so I talk to them about the market and where it is headed.
    As far as Julian being a good buy, I don't really think it is any different than any other part of San Diego county except that gas prices might negatively affect us more. Many people who buy up here have long commutes.
    If a person needs a place to live, they can rent. Buying is not the only option.
    Still prices have come down a lot, so things are more affordable than they were in the last year or so if someone has the dough it "might" not be a bad time.
    Good luck to you!

mtbr member
    Whether or not it is a good time to buy or not has more determining factors then price declining alone. Real Estate generally doubles in value every ten years, even with the ups and downs. I like to think this is a good market because it opens the doors to a new generation of people. If it kept going up, young people starting families would always be priced out of the market. Now a lot of homes are available to families that could only dream of buying a home a few years ago. It does affect people selling in this market that bought a couple years ago, but the people that bought a couple years ago who are not selling are not directly affected. Imagine an original owner in Allied Gardens that built there home new in 1955 for $14,000, which is free and clear now. Do you think they care if their home went from 550K to 400K? (Assuming, they have no loans on the property) Most of this "crisis" is because of the bad loans that were made.
    Desirability of location also has a big impact, so I believe Julian is different than other parts of San Diego, just as Mission Valley is different than Lakeside. Some areas around the US actually have seen increasing values over the past few years, but you won't hear about them as much on the news. I understand that you have talked with friends in the business, and that is better than the news, but not all agents think the same, and have the same outlook, much like every other profession. Not all doctors will advise the same treatments for the same diagnosis. Not all presidents will treat its people the same. Real Estate isn't black&white, there are an infinite amount of possibilities.

dft
    mtbr member

As for the OP........... get yourself a house, settle in and start riding some of the BEST trails in the nation, LowSoCal!!!

Chip in San Diego (oh , yes, I AM a real estate agent, since 1983)
    the best trails in the nation, ha, that's a laugh! tiny city preserves, etc, truely laughable. have you been to places like downieville, tahoe, orders of magnitude better than SD

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    the best trails in the nation, ha, that's a laugh! tiny city preserves, etc, truely laughable. have you been to places like downieville, tahoe, orders of magnitude better than SD

Remember a real estate agent is a salesman.

If you take in the mountains and the desert of San Diego County and the fact that there is year around riding, then I do think that San Diego COUNTY is one of the best places in the nation for mountain biking.

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott A.
    Sandmangts, I find it funny how you are advising on when to buy (or not buy), and it doesn't sound as though you are in the real estate industry. Agents are saying it’s a good time to buy because it IS a good time to buy. Interest rates are still very low, but starting to climb right now. Even if some areas are declining still, that does not mean everyone should not buy. If you plan on staying in the home for awhile (3-5 years), it’s a great opportunity to buy a home for your family and have the upper hand as the buyer in the buyers market, try and have the seller pay your closing costs in a sellers market! If you are looking to buy and sell in the short term(banking on appreciation and using your house as an ATM) then maybe now isn't the best time. Its time in the market, not timing the market! If you are waiting for the magic time to buy, like maybe when prices start to climb again? Then you and everyone else who is waiting will create the buying frenzy that drives the prices up and gives the sellers the upper hand, bye bye buyers market! Now the home you were eyeballing for 350K has creeped up to 375K with multiple offers. Don't listen to the media, all the media does is spread fear. Real estate professionals are advising qualified people to buy now because there are wonderful opportunities right now, some with multiple offers, even now in this "Bad" market. The correctly priced homes are selling, and fast. At least here in San Diego. My wife and I found a home for a first time buyer with $51,000 in equity. It was an REO(bank owned) listed around 50K below comparables. When we were showing it to her, another agent and his clients were just leaving, the agent said on the way out, “A deal like this isn’t going to last past the weekend” It didn’t, we put in an offer that day. I don't see how that would be a bad thing for our buyer! It’s a buyers market now, where will you be when it’s over!

Scott
    Scott, you are presenting the common arguments of San Diego realtors. Buy now before prices go up, you can't time the market, they aren't making any more land, everyone wants to live in San Diego.... Ok, I added a couple you didn't mention.

There is no indication that prices will increase or even remain flat 3-5 years from now considering the unprecidented run-up in prices. Remember the 90's? Prices remained flat for about 10 years! The domino affect from the horrible underwriting of MBS and exploding rate of NOTs and NODs increasing MUST-SELL inventory is only depressing prices further (currently at 2003 prices according to Cash-Shiller).

The pyramid scheme will continue to unravel as depressed comps wipe out equity and homeborrowers are unable to refi their neg-am, no-doc, I/O loans. These MUST-SELL homes are added to the MLS and with tightened underwriting there are fewer borrowers to pick up these "bargains". I'm sure you're familiar with the infamous Credit Suisse mortgage reset chart

and more specifically with the number of homes purchased in SD during '04-'06 with creative loans. I'm sure we'll see some dead cat bounces over the next few years, but I don't see any positive data indicating that prices will increase in the next 3+ years. This chart was in the UT just last week.

I don't consider the news coverage of the housing crash as spreading fear any more than I thought their coverage of the huge run-up in prices was promoting a buyer frenzy. I'm assuming you didn't mind all of the coverage during the price run-up. What I would criticize MSM for is their 2-3 year lag in reporting the bubble.

[/GEEK OUT OVER REAL ESTATE]
    Last edited by mealsonwheels; 06-23-2008 at 03:10 PM.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    There is no indication that prices will increase or even remain flat 3-5 years from now considering the unprecidented run-up in prices. Remember the 90's? Prices remained flat for about 10 years!

WHAT?!?!??! Which 10 years are you talking about?!??!??! Prices topped out in 1992 from the 1987 thru 1991 run up in values. THEN.......went DOWN thru 1995 (that lasted 3 years), then were right back up and DOUBLE the 1991 value by 2001. Perhaps you were referring to the 1890's.......

Pleeeeeeze excuse me, I'm an ignorant RE agent and can't even count to 10 on my hands!!

Hey everybody.......... RENT instead.... you get to pay your landlord's mortgage!!!

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by dft

YEAH, I've been there....November, December... Jan & Feb..... THE BEST RIDING I COULD FIND WAS A BAR STOOL....

Southern California........year round you fool, YEAR ROUND!!!!

dft
    mtbr member

YEAH, I've been there....November, December... Jan & Feb..... THE BEST RIDING I COULD FIND WAS A BAR STOOL....

Southern California........year round you fool, YEAR ROUND!!!!
    i thought you were judging trails, not year round riding (that is what you said). goto vancouver, whistler, BC, norcal, etc. the worst trail up there is 10x better than the best trial here. noble would be a joke up there, not even worth mentioning. but hey, have fun at PQ baby!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast