mtbr member
    May 2008

Where have all the Orange county DJ's gone

i just checked last week and hidden valley was bulldozed again sometime in the last year. all that remains is a 4 foot drop, not worth going for. Slaters has been gone for a while now, and the MTB area of slaters that was across the wash has been turned into a wetland preserve. i also went to sheep hills last week, and its in full swing. tho my hardtail is not built up, and my freeride bike cant suck up the transitions, which makes for there only being a few packs there that are jumpable for me. is there a new place known to locals only? i love DJing on my off trail days but it seems that they are all getting shut down around here.....

well let me know, thanks in advance

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    A group has met with the HB Community Services Commission to discuss the possibility of an authorized bike skills area to be located within Bartlett Park, the former home of Hidden Valley. The Commission is genuinely interested in the idea.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be that much rider interest to see this project through. There has been a lot of talk from the riders, but not much action. No one there seems to want to get organized. It's a hard sell to the City when you say the public wants a bike skills area, and then the public doesn't show up.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Wow thats very interesting. what actions need to be taken next? me and my group of friends that ride together would be more then happy to take the steps needed to follow this through.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    First, you need a contact list of riders that are willing to help build, maintain, and enforce the rules. Names, address, phone, and email. Your friends, riders at Sheeps Hill, etc. It will make a stronger impact if the majority of the riders have Huntington Beach addresses. No City is going to build something for non-residents in a community park.

PM me if you're serious.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    May 2004

what type of bike skills park?

Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot
    A group has met with the HB Community Services Commission to discuss the possibility of an authorized bike skills area to be located within Bartlett Park, the former home of Hidden Valley. The Commission is genuinely interested in the idea.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be that much rider interest to see this project through. There has been a lot of talk from the riders, but not much action. No one there seems to want to get organized. It's a hard sell to the City when you say the public wants a bike skills area, and then the public doesn't show up.
    If this could potentially be something where money could be raised and some lines built up for beg-int-and expert, that would be good. I know in the past these areas have mostly been about BMX, but is the Bartlett Park area potentially a good area to build something that would genuinely appeal to beginning, intermediate and expert freeriders as well as BMX, pump track, and maybe even wooden stunts?

This is happening in most areas of the country now, many sanctioned and protected by governments. Why not here?

If this is promising, I could make time, but if it's just for big, BMX style doubles that I can't ride anyway, I'm not interested
    Sound of Tires on Dirt - Sole Music; shared with friends - Soul Music.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Our proposal includes beginner tabletop lines, intermediate camelbacks, and one or two pump tracks. These would be lines that the majority of riders could ride and progress on. An advanced line is going to be a negotiable subject. The City of HB will not authorize building lines in a community park that the majority of their community cannot enjoy.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    ....but if it's just for big, BMX style doubles that I can't ride anyway, I'm not interested
    what?!?!?!? as a bicyclist, you should be interesded in all thet affects you sport an promotes the growth and public acceptance....

i bet you are an XC rider who thinks we should not have DH trails either...

mtbr member
    May 2004

When you assume...

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    what?!?!?!? as a bicyclist, you should be interesded in all thet affects you sport an promotes the growth and public acceptance....

i bet you are an XC rider who thinks we should not have DH trails either...
    WCH:

I recant and should rephrase. In ADDITION to big, BMX style doubles, there should be stuff all people can ride and progress on, whever their level of riding is. And no, i'm not just a XC rider, I'm an all mtn rider that started getting into beg. freeride up in Boise, moved down here for a job just recently, and was hoping to continue that progression; however, I don't see or know of much stuff around that is close AND legal for us.

Below is one pic of me hitting a 10' wood drop in the trees to wood tranny to berm, and a couple of other beginning freeride photos, so no, I gues you are wrong in your assumption, as I'd LOVE to see DH style trails sanctioned all around here and all those Laguna trails opened up.

fyi: Eric Carter came up to Boise and built velodrome - the closest to here is in Temecula and I moved to Huntington Beach.

It's all good!

BP - I really am limited for time, but can make time for this project. PM'ng you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    You guys live in Orange County, and should not be surprised by the lack of options, and I am not just talking about riding! Orange County $uck$!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    BP; Pm'd you. the pumptrack for sure is an excellent option for community involvement - fitness, skill building, and riders of all levels could use one - of course taking turns, staying to one direction, etc. Mark Weir talks about how his has brought neighborhood together.

E86
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Boulder pilot- I pm'ed you. I work quite a bit, but would definitely make the efforts to build, maintain, and attend community meetings.I have some building skills, but my no means am i an expert, but i am willing to learn. Hope this goes through. Since i work so much i have limited time to ride, so having a place to ride so close would be great. I actually started to build a pump track in my back yard.
    Best Regards,
    Eric C.
    Morewood Bikes USA, 661, SDG, Sunline, SPY Optics, TLD