Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Green Mojo

Where is the closest place to ride????

I live in Carlsbad (just north of San Diego). I have not ridden since Sunday (as a result of the fires and smoke). I am going crazy. There is simply no way to ride with the current air quality.

Where is the best place to go to get a good ride. I am willing to drive!

mtbr member
    arizona?

used to be uno-speedo....
    Spin class in a gym.

Commit or eat sh!t
    Take a weekend trip to SF. Anywhere near Socal will have smoke issues. You don't want to ruin your lungs/get cancer just for a ride, do you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Palm Springs area possibly.

Stay out of national forests, even if they weren't damaged. All are closed locally.

Some are heading up to Kernville for some riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Yeah, I rode in Palm Springs today. It's as clear as can be. Only a 45 minute drive for me from Redlands. I'm guessing Idyllwild might be okay too.

--------------------------------------------------
    http://socalmtbiking.blogspot.com/

Bored Carp
    We have a valley full of smoke right now from all the California fires. In Salt Lake City.

Maybe Boone?
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

ha

Boone? that or brevard.... anyone for a brevard to banff ride?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    The Santa Barbara area is starting to clear out. Should be pretty good by the weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I was riding in PV last night. It wasn't too bad. But its still kinda far from SD

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pinnacle10
    Yeah, I rode in Palm Springs today. It's as clear as can be. Only a 45 minute drive for me from Redlands. I'm guessing Idyllwild might be okay too.

Most of the Idyllwild area is national forest, which due to the fires, is closed.

I was thinking Hurkey Creek, as it is a Riverside County park, but if we decide to ride there I will be calling first to ensure it's open.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    El Moro is closed?

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by BSki
    El Moro is closed?
    Yes.

Here's a good read...

Hazardous Conditions Due to Extreme Wind and Fire Conditions

by Marlene Brajdic, Special Services Manager on 10/22/2007

Several parks are closed due to the extreme fire danger and the severe Santa Ana Winds that have caused damage to mature trees and made conditions within the parks hazardous. In addition, high levels of air pollution from the heavy smoke from the fires has led to further park closures as a health precaution. Parks that have been temporarily closed are Aliso and Wood Canyons, Caspers, Heritage Hill, Irvine, Laguna Coast, O'Neill, Peters Canyon, Riley, Santiago Oaks, Limestone/Whiting Ranch, and Yorba Regional Parks.

The Public is asked to cooperate with the County of Orange in staying out of open space areas and off the trails during the extreme fire hazard conditions and even after the immediate danger is controlled. Firefighters, park rangers and other resource agencies need the public to comply with the park and trail closures until such time as it is both safe for the public and not harmful to the environment. With the present danger due to high winds and the potential for fires to flare up, the wilderness parks, in particular, and some of the regional parks have been closed for public safety. This includes trails within these parks. OC Parks will have a large job ahead to clear trails and facilities of fallen trees and debris created by the high winds. Even after the fires have ended, the burned areas are very fragile and an assessment will be made regarding when these might open to the public again. This website will be updated to advise visitors as to when the parks will reopen. It is important for the public to be safe, to keep out of the way of fire-fighting operations and to respect nature's healing process. Thanks for your cooperation.

Information regarding the local fires may be found on the Orange County Fire Authority website www.ocfa.org.

Taken from http://www.ocparks.com/newsroom/defa...1540&subshow=A

mtbr member
    take off for the weekend and hit up bootleg canyon

Mt Wilson Motoboy
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

Green Mojo

I think I will head to Palm Springs

It looks like I will head to Palm Springs. The air quality shows to be ok and I need to ride. I am going to take my 12 year old son since his school is closed. He is a pretty good rider - though he would balk at a 2 hour uphill climb....

Ideas for best rides in or near Palm Springs?????

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    It looks like I will head to Palm Springs. The air quality shows to be ok and I need to ride. I am going to take my 12 year old son since his school is closed. He is a pretty good rider - though he would balk at a 2 hour uphill climb....

Ideas for best rides in or near Palm Springs?????
    how about a two hour downhill climb...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerneil
    I live in Carlsbad (just north of San Diego). I have not ridden since Sunday (as a result of the fires and smoke). I am going crazy. There is simply no way to ride with the current air quality.
    !
    saddness is being injured and can't ride for 12 weeks....don't worry about a week
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The only place I've been is the Art Smith trail. It's real easy to get to. There's probably better places up further in the mountains, but this isn't a bad ride if you don't mind the steep climbs.

I updates my blog with a few pics of my ride there today. Check the link below.

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    saddness is being injured and can't ride for 12 weeks....don't worry about a week
    HUH!

While your injury is surely tragic (can you feel the sarcasm), at least you can rest in solice knowing that what happened to you was the result of your own actions and not the result of some jack@ss (unless you consider yourself a jack@ss, which I could understand). So lets not get all dillusional, these fires are going to cripple the local trail systems for much longer than a week, we're talking months or even years. The last fire at Santiago has still left the local MTB community feeling the effects, some of the trails have yet to still be opened and probably never will be. So don;t be too quick to dismiss anyones personal saddness with regards to these fires as if this situation where some trivial thing, this is going to be a long road back.

But lets not forget the real tragedy. The tragedy this has been for the displaced families and animals in these areas. All the homes, personal belongings and lives that have been lost. This is real saddness.

Oh and for the record, nobody feels sorry for whiners. So quit your whining ya little b!tch. You wanna b!tch and moan, move to Ohio for a year, 12 weeks will seem like a day at the beach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    FWIW, the air quality in Palm Springs is worsening also. The smoke is blowing there, as well as north. May even be bad in Vegas over the weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I just heard the same thing. My parents are in Palm Desert and they said the haze from the smoke is just starting to come in today.

Flaccid Member
    Bishop or Mammoth.... Maybe Lower Rock Creek Run?
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member

Palm Springs air quality

Hey, any news on the air quality out in Palm Springs? I was going to take a spin up Art's but not sure of the status... Or maybe even Idyllwild...

Any thoughts?
    AL

PS - I see you do lots of local riding. You might be interested in the "hell ride" that we do for fun every year. Not sure about this year however...

www.donsbikesraceteam.com

Green Mojo
    I have ridden last two days here and air quality is now "good enough".

I will miss Whiting!

Ride on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast