Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007

Where are the bike resorts?

I hit Bootleg Canyon this weekend (*awesome*), and I'm trying to find out what else is out there in terms of "Bike Resorts". I know there's Mammoth, Big Bear, etc. Is there anything else nearby SD?

Lord of the Chainrings
    Nope. Wait for summer and go to Whistler.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    northstar will be open this summer. not much in ca.
    http://www.northstarattahoe.com/info...ing-events.asp

mtbr member
    I'm building one out of kids toys in my neighbors yard, its gonna be really sick but you'll have to ride an 8year olds bike through it.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by CRASH
    northstar will be open this summer. not much in ca.
    http://www.northstarattahoe.com/info...ing-events.asp
    NorthStar is so much fun! Some people will say it sucks, others say it rules...whatever. I went twice a couple of years ago and I LOVED it! It was so much fun to be able to take 2, yes 2 chairs up to the top and ride down! The trails were so fun and there is something for everyone. It was closed last summer for some reason but I guess it will be open this summer! Cool! That place ROCKS! Wanna car pool, CRASH?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    I hit Bootleg Canyon this weekend (*awesome*), and I'm trying to find out what else is out there in terms of "Bike Resorts". I know there's Mammoth, Big Bear, etc. Is there anything else nearby SD?
    Read about the freeride park being built in Denver. SD and it's surrounding municipalities need to wake up to the present and be amendable to a trail system with a freestyle theme. This is being done elsewhere so why is this place only noteworthy for it's cost of living? There has to be a way....... remember "skateboarding is not a crime!"

Granny
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy15
    Read about the freeride park being built in Denver. SD and it's surrounding municipalities need to wake up to the present and be amendable to a trail system with a freestyle theme. This is being done elsewhere so why is this place only noteworthy for it's cost of living? There has to be a way....... remember "skateboarding is not a crime!"

I would love to see some sections on Noble Canyon incorporate some of the deadfall up there for logs, skinny stuff. Maybe some air-supply style jumps in some sections. I'm dreaming though, CNF would never allow it.

SD will never have a freestyle park or what ever you want to call it, at least not while I'm riding. SDMBA, and all the other bike organizations don't have the pull get something like that approved. Land is too scarce, and liabilities to high.

There are plenty of trails to ride in the SD area, and can be expanded by making a drive to other locations here in SoCal.

Glad to Be Alive
    Colorado has good stuff....check out Keystone and Vail and Silverton
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Granny
    Need to make drive up one of these weekends to W.Texas dude. Something about a carpet and a clutch....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Granny
    I would love to see some sections on Noble Canyon incorporate some of the deadfall up there for logs, skinny stuff. Maybe some air-supply style jumps in some sections. I'm dreaming though, CNF would never allow it.

SD will never have a freestyle park or what ever you want to call it, at least not while I'm riding. SDMBA, and all the other bike organizations don't have the pull get something like that approved. Land is too scarce, and liabilities to high.

There are plenty of trails to ride in the SD area, and can be expanded by making a drive to other locations here in SoCal.
    Granny incorporating natural elements into an existing trail to give trail an element of freeride is already being done by a Forest ranger in Northern Calif. He even has a publication that he presents to show what he is talking about . He aknowledges that doing so meets the need of what he recognizes as the largest fastest growing user group in his jurisdiction. By using that strategy he has found it cuts down the illegal building and pirating of trails due to a need that is not being met. Get names and numbers and direct your ideas and desires at the right people And yes SDMBA can make a difference and are highly respected by the key people but its the masses that make the big difference. Get on board and start to be involved. I am learning myself to be less of a complainer and more of a force but you can't do it alone. So I have chosen to join some passionate bikers and add my person to the fight. I am not getting any younger and I think it is silly to watch the rest of the country be so progressive and we stand here with our feet in the mud. Meanwhile people forge on trying to meet their needs with short term results.

mtbr member

dft
    mtbr member
    you love bootleg?? i agree its fun, but awesome, hmmm maybe a stretch (i guess i'm whistler spoiled). there isn't big bear anymore also. someone below noted they really love northstar, i'm happy for them, but not alot of flow and jumps are to flat there(lame), its super rocky but not even steep at all, just chunk chunk chunk. i'd take mammoth over NS even with all the loose pumice.

dft
    mtbr member
    nobel turned into clownshoes, ahh what a dream!!

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dft
    you love bootleg?? i agree its fun, but awesome, hmmm maybe a stretch (i guess i'm whistler spoiled). there isn't big bear anymore also. someone below noted they really love northstar, i'm happy for them, but not alot of flow and jumps are to flat there(lame), its super rocky but not even steep at all, just chunk chunk chunk. i'd take mammoth over NS even with all the loose pumice.
    Your right; Bootleg, Mammoth, NS.... they all suck. I'm just going to quit riding. Thanks!

mtbr member

Something Different

I realize this might be pushing it a bit, but Sedona has both the resorts and some awesome "all mountain" style cross country riding. There are no lifts to get you to the tops, but it a great escape only about 7 hours from San Diego. For those of you who have a "significant other" who wants to hang out at the pool rather than ride, this place offers great food, lots of places to ride, great bike shops, and maps to all the trails.

I do agree with the other posts regarding Whistler. Having been to Big Bear (in its prime), Mammoth (on an annual basis now), and Moab (twice); Whistler is the place to ride before you die, especially if you are from the relative desert of San Diego. My wife even loved the village there, and most important, she wants to go back! The transportation options are there to allow you to fly up and never have to rent a car to get to the resort area. The bike magazines never seem to get into a description of the whole village scene with all its restaurants, shops, bars, and other scenic diversions.

mtbr member
    Yeah, welcome to one of the Mecca's of mountain biking at least from a manufacturers view point but yet no cool parks.

OK, rant off. If you dont mind the drive to Vegas, about 1-2 hours more will put you in St. George Utah. Gooseberry Mesa is a major playground not to mention lots of killer rides near the town. Brian Head is another must do and its just past St. George.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    South Mountain in Phoenix - go before it gets too hot - GREAT trails, very technical, you can shuttle as much as you like, or ride up and down

or Virgin, UT & Bootleg make a tasty combo trip from Socal

otherwise?

British Columbia - it's Mecca, we should all bow down and pray in the direction of The Shore 5 times daily - even their "xc" trails ("A River Runs Through It" comes to mind) are very technical and fun - and resorts? Whistler is king of the world for mtn biking of course - but anywhere you go in BC there is amazing riding - Heli drops that give you 8,000' of drop, resorts that are built with stunts and jumps and steep rollers - everything one desires...

Northstar isn't worth the drive from Socal IMHO - it's fun, if you are there or local or hitting a number of spots (for example, a week trip w/Mammoth, then Northstar, then Downievile would be worthwhile) - but right now Mammoth has some semi-ok trails that are too volcanic sand to be much fun (they should build stunts all the way to town on the lower trails through the forest) - Northstar has what? 5 trails or so? very rocky, a few stunts, but not a destination in and of itself...

there are a real dearth of resorts in Cali worth driving to for mtn biking...it's sad - we have a lot of mtns and nothing comes close to anything in BC....

Medium?
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    Northstar has what? 5 trails or so? very rocky, a few stunts, but not a destination in and of itself...
    Yea, 5 or so.

The blue section of the the TRT on the top left from Watson Lake is awesome! Take the xc bike on the last lift of the day, get to Watson Lake and hit the rim trail to extend the day if you're not too beat.

Northstar's good for a long hard day, but bring an XC bike and ride the TRT. Last year we did Spooner Summit, through Heavenly and down Mr. Toad's to Meyer's as a day trip. It was about 45 of the hardest miles I've ever done with a 4000' downhill at the end.

On the third day book a couple shuttles at Downieville 90 minutes away.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    South Mountain in Phoenix - go before it gets too hot - GREAT trails, very technical, you can shuttle as much as you like, or ride up and down

or Virgin, UT & Bootleg make a tasty combo trip from Socal

otherwise?

British Columbia - it's Mecca, we should all bow down and pray in the direction of The Shore 5 times daily - even their "xc" trails ("A River Runs Through It" comes to mind) are very technical and fun - and resorts? Whistler is king of the world for mtn biking of course - but anywhere you go in BC there is amazing riding - Heli drops that give you 8,000' of drop, resorts that are built with stunts and jumps and steep rollers - everything one desires...

Northstar isn't worth the drive from Socal IMHO - it's fun, if you are there or local or hitting a number of spots (for example, a week trip w/Mammoth, then Northstar, then Downievile would be worthwhile) - but right now Mammoth has some semi-ok trails that are too volcanic sand to be much fun (they should build stunts all the way to town on the lower trails through the forest) - Northstar has what? 5 trails or so? very rocky, a few stunts, but not a destination in and of itself...

there are a real dearth of resorts in Cali worth driving to for mtn biking...it's sad - we have a lot of mtns and nothing comes close to anything in BC....
    yea, what he said. that's great if people really like northstar, just for me, its average (very rocky, but not steep, no flow and minimal jumps which most have flat landings). hate to sound like a broken record, but as mac said, nothing comes REMOTELY close to BC. i'd also take south mountian (and bonus try goat camp for even more chunk) over northstar anyday. somo is truely a (somewhat) hidden gem. now back to boggieman