Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Green Mojo

Where is Bernardo Peak?? (San Diego Trail)

I have heard people talk about Bernardo Peak and that it is near or off the trails around Lake Hodges. Where do I access this trail?

Is there a trail map available for the trail system around Hodges (and going east)?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It's on the north side of Lake Hodges. You basically can't miss it - it's the biggest peak there. Right by the lake.

Lake Hodges - North Side

I usually park at the little lot off Pomarado road on the south side of the lake - but I think most people park on the north side of the lake, by sunset drive (which has a bigger lot).

By the way, plug these coordinates into google maps - it's the peak of Bernardo mtn: 33.064031, -117.087886

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ha, actually, maybe that marker *doesn't* land on the peak - but it is on the right trail. Just get on that trail and keep going "up" until you run out of trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    you can either access the trailhead easily from riding from the sunset parking lot area from riding on either the lower or upper trail going towards the creek. If you ride the lower trail, once you cross the creek keep riding up the rocking hill. Once you get to the first trailhead on the right go up the switch backs. Keep riding the trail and you will start going up elevation pretty quickly.
    If you are riding the upper fire road/ maint road ride it all the way to the upper creek crossing with the little man made wooden bridge. Once you cross it, climb up the short steep rocking hill. There will be a fork in the road and turn right. The follow the trail and you will see a trail sign within a mile.
    Few HIB moments for me but the down hill is fun with a few easier but fun technical spots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    found this online, hope it helps
    Where is Bernardo Peak??  (San Diego Trail)-bernardo-earth.jpg

Green Mojo
    I love it, thanks! I will ride it tonight after work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It's the summit trail that gets you there. I ride that trail about once a week because I love smashing down it. Hower past the water tower is **** for riding up. It's doable with a few hike a bikes but my personal experience has led me to turn around at the water tower. That being said to to the top at least once because the view is badass at the top!!
    Be Fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    on a clear day you can see the ocean, back in high school cross country we used to call that trail "ocean view" and we ran from SPHS.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Last summer I rode up Bernardo Peak and as I was going up the last 1/4 mile, after the water tank, I spun out on a rock and had to stop. As I was catching my breath, 2 couples in their late 40s/early 50s approached me from behind (they were all latte-sipping, yuppie-types dressed in their spandex-like gym attire) and asked how I got here on my bike. I told them from the I-15 trailhead by Sikes Adobe. Then one of them said (a woman), "we all just came from the gym and are taking a short hike to start our day off right!" Then she said, "you could have saved a lot of effort and time if you came up here from the Bernardo Mountain Road Trail head (off Via Rancho Parkway). It's what we do all the time after the gym." I chuckled under my breath and said, "I need the mileage!" They gave me this odd condescending look (the one that says, ''it's your loss") and walked past me to the top. I could tell they weren't even real hikers, just wannabee week-end warriors. Ahh, to each their own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    tons of them out there on saturday mornings... if you don't have a bear bell you will more likely hit someone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It's a pretty good trail. HAB for sure past the water tower, but mostly climbable. The downhill is a blast, but I did crash there pretty good once back when the trail hugged the chainlink fence. Caught a bar descending and it was superman time. No injuries or bike damage, though.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Beer Please! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    tons of them out there on saturday mornings... if you don't have a bear bell you will more likely hit someone.
    That was gonna be my comment. I have only ridden up that trail once and there were a ton of Hikers and families out exploring, so be prepared. Don't think you are going to KOM the decent on Strava, too many people to try anything along those lines.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    It's a pretty good trail. HAB for sure past the water tower, but mostly climbable. The downhill is a blast, but I did crash there pretty good once back when the trail hugged the chainlink fence. Caught a bar descending and it was superman time. No injuries or bike damage, though.
    I must be riding this trail up all wrong!

I have seen two posts in this thread that say the part (past the water tank) is crappy and HAB. I've probably ridden Bernardo Peak about 20 times in the last 15 years and have cleaned it (after the water tank) all but 2 times. Now, the last 100 odd feet of trail (before) the water tank, well, that is my nemesis...only cleaned that once (a long time ago) before it became popular for hikers (like all the other SD-metro trails are now)!

Why can't the week-end-warrior-wannabee hikers go elsewhere, or just stay home and relax, or go to the gym......and leave the good/local trails to us! Is that too much to ask for...!!!??? :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    The downhill is a blast, but I did crash there pretty good once back when the trail hugged the chainlink fence.
    I haven't been there in a while - does the trail by the water tower not hug the chainlink fence anymore? That spot is (or was?) pretty hairy for hundred yards or so. Had a few close calls myself there.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Yes. The rocky part near the apex next to the fence is still there, too. It's what gets most riders...including me.

Somebody needs to sanitize it just like they did NCT! ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Fun trail, great addition to a Hodges ride since there isn't much in the way of hills of tech at Hodges. On the way down watch out for the two big erosion ditches at the bottom. The first one is just after a little bump, if you catch air off the bump and don't turn right immediately you are going into the ditch and it's deep. Kind of a blind crest. A mountain biker had to be extracted from the ditch by helicopter last year.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    Fun trail, great addition to a Hodges ride since there isn't much in the way of hills of tech at Hodges. On the way down watch out for the two big erosion ditches at the bottom. The first one is just after a little bump, if you catch air off the bump and don't turn right immediately you are going into the ditch and it's deep. Kind of a blind crest. A mountain biker had to be extracted from the ditch by helicopter last year.
    A "real" mtber would have extracted himself...it's what we do, so we don't get made fun of on the series of tubes!

Beer Please! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    The first one is just after a little bump, if you catch air off the bump and don't turn right immediately you are going into the ditch and it's deep. Kind of a blind crest. A mountain biker had to be extracted from the ditch by helicopter last year.
    Oh man, I remember that, that is sketchy right there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Been wondering for a few months now if it would be possible to sneak a small wooden ladder in that ditch. At least that way one could hit the little bump and keep going straight instead of slamming brakes and hooking hard right haha
    Be Fast.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nateh805 View Post
    Been wondering for a few months now if it would be possible to sneak a small wooden ladder in that ditch. At least that way one could hit the little bump and keep going straight instead of slamming brakes and hooking hard right haha
    There's a fine line between sanitizing a trail (for riding safety) and enhancing it (for jump safety)!

Beer Please! Moderator
    I have only been there once and that one section looks like it needs some trail work to be safe, even for hikers....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Haha yeah for sure, but that bump looks like it was at one point a nice little double and could be one again but that ditch sure makes it sketch. Wouldnt really think of it as sanitization, but would sure make that section ridable flat out as opposed to white knucking the brakes right after hitting the bump.

Been wanting to fix that jump on that short connector trail below the fork on summit too. Sometimes I feel it's not worth it with all the hiker traffic though. Either way that trail is the best thing at hodges by far, everything else is just spin class there haha.
    Be Fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    I must be riding this trail up all wrong!

I have seen two posts in this thread that say the part (past the water tank) is crappy and HAB. I've probably ridden Bernardo Peak about 20 times in the last 15 years and have cleaned it (after the water tank) all but 2 times. Now, the last 100 odd feet of trail (before) the water tank, well, that is my nemesis...only cleaned that once (a long time ago) before it became popular for hikers (like all the other SD-metro trails are now)!

Why can't the week-end-warrior-wannabee hikers go elsewhere, or just stay home and relax, or go to the gym......and leave the good/local trails to us! Is that too much to ask for...!!!??? :-)

Come to think of it, Chief, it's been at least 5 years sine I last climbed Bernardo Peak. There's so much else to ride there, that I end of getting my 20+ in without hitting the peak at all.
    I'm gonna have to hit it the next time I'm up at Hodges. I bet its changed quite a bit since then.

Did they ever put in that chairlift?
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Come to think of it, Chief, it's been at least 5 years sine I last climbed Bernardo Peak. There's so much else to ride there, that I end of getting my 20+ in without hitting the peak at all.
    I'm gonna have to hit it the next time I'm up at Hodges. I bet its changed quite a bit since then.

Did they ever put in that chairlift?
    Yep, the chairlift is there...you have to bring your own power source though!

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson View Post
    found this online, hope it helps
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bernardo-earth.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	955796
    Great map thanks, I can see my old house in it.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast