Thread: Where am I?

"That don't look too bad"
    Nov 2006

Where am I?

I just moved to Santa Monica from Miami, FL this month. I want to start mountain biking, but don't know where to go. Any suggestions? Zero experience.

Thanks,

Kegrun

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Go to one of the bike shops in Santa Monica like Helens. They'll probably have some maps or books that will show you all the local riding areas and maybe even some shop rides.

Once you find your way to the local trailheads, and there are some nearby to SM, the rest is up to you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kegrun
    I just moved to Santa Monica from Miami, FL this month. I want to start mountain biking, but don't know where to go. Any suggestions? Zero experience.

Thanks,

Kegrun
    You joined mtbr in November 2006, have 26 posts, you just moved to SM, but you don't mountainbike and have no experience, yet your profile says you have a Specialized Epic Comp and you like DH.

Something doesn't make sense here. Check that. Several things don't make sense.

mtbr member
    i think he meant he has no experience riding in socal/santa monica??

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    You joined mtbr in November 2006, have 26 posts, you just moved to SM, but you don't mountainbike and have no experience, yet your profile says you have a Specialized Epic Comp and you like DH.

Something doesn't make sense here. Check that. Several things don't make sense.
    You figured it out... it's a massive conspiracy to pose as a newbie. Good work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT0neX
    i think he meant he has no experience riding in socal/santa monica??

That makes sense. I'm too conspiratorially minded I guess.

Apologies. Good luck, kegrun. Find those trails before it gets too hot.

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    ...or, "welcome to L.A., a**hole!"

get to know your shops. Cynergy, Helens, Bike Attack on Main. Supergo Performance, etc. Ask for directions to Sullivan Canyon and Westridge. Be polite to hikers.

drink beer at Library Ale House.

sit at Starbucks on Montana and observe the hotties (aka trophy wives)

Knomer
    Here's a link to some of the closest and most popular trailheads in the area...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&q...50338,0.079823

ali'i hua
    go here: http://www.cynergycycles.com/ to the santa monica store, ask for Gabe. tell him Ethan sent you.

Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Here's a link to some of the closest and most popular trailheads in the area...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&q...50338,0.079823
    Thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for. How would you rate the difficulty of these 5 rides? How long are they? When do you go out and ride?

Thanks,

Kavi

mtbr member
    In the spirit of better reading comprehension on my part, here's a source to check out for some local info: If you have a local Barnes & Noble or an LBS with a decent book selection look for Mark Ross and Brad Fine's, Mountain Biking Southern California. The book is so-so, but pages 63-75 cover the Santa Monica Mtns and the major trailheads.

Nov 2006
    Thank you very much Clyde!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Check out the website for North Ranch MTB club

www.nrmbc.org

They are a local MTB club that ride in the Santa Monica mountains and many other local locations. The rides are for different levels of rider, from Novice to intermediate. They always wait for every rider, and have a slap up meal after the weekend rides. A great way to meet new people, and learn the local trails.