mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Where in Aliso Viejo

Hi,

I am from Europe and I am visiting some friends in Aliso Viejo this weekend. I will be staying there for about two weeks.

Can someone recommend me a place to rent a bike and some trails around Aliso. I've seen some discussion about local trails here.

Thanks

mtbr member

Aliso Viejo

You can get a demo bike at the Supergo in Laguna Hills or a rental at Laguna Cyclery.

I'm not sure what type of riding you are looking to do, but closest riding places would be Aliso and Wood Canyon Wilderness Park.
    Laguna Coast Wilderness Park (open on weekends only)
    El Moro (Crystal Cove State Park)
    There are tons of trails in the Cleveland Nat'l Forest close by as well.

There are reviews on this site as well as these:
    www.socaltrailriders.org
    www.singletrackmind.com
    www.geoladders.com

I hope this helps

C

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks, my preference is mostly singletracks with roots and rocks, up and down.

Over the Hill
    Lots of ups and downs. You will have no problem finding rocks, not many roots here in the desert.

cask conditioned
    What are roots?
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

mtbr member

Roots

Quote Originally Posted by endo verendo
    What are roots?
    You know, roots like "lets take the other root today "or Get your kicks on root 66"

John Galt

There are roots in OC!

I have actually found roots in Huntington Beach Central Park - the section between Goldenwest and Edwards. I ride there when I don't have much time (it's a mile or two from home). Mostly, the park offers shared horse trails with some short-but-steep climbs for a good workout on single and double-track. Not too many people ride horses there, so they're not a big obstacle. Despite the hills being short, I have managed to hit 39 MPH. There are also short downhills off miniature bluffs where you have to watch out for disc golfers. Nothing about Central Park is great, but it does have dirt to offer...

As for roots, there is one place, just east of the lake (naturally), with some decent exposed roots. It's a connector between the disc golf/bluff side and the shared trails - just watch out for kids fishing!

Floater

Root, rocks, and up and down

"roots and rocks, up and down" Sounds like lower Holy Jim trail (Cleveland National Forest off Trabuco Creek) at the creek crossings. And it is a great trail!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks all!

I won't miss roots too much. I have plenty of that at home. What I mostly miss at my home rides, are rocks, which I believe will find in southern California. Can't wait!

wawe member
    What are roots?
    You know, these stupid things... ( I hate roots. )

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by matjazr
    Thanks all!

I won't miss roots too much. I have plenty of that at home. What I mostly miss at my home rides, are rocks, which I believe will find in southern California. Can't wait!
    If you like rocks, I can think of a few good trails in the Aliso area:
    El Moro -
    Rattlesnake: great stretch of downhill, butt on back tire, teeth chattering, waterfall riding;

Aliso & Woods Canyon -
    Stairsteps: see description of rattlesnake above, same type of ride;
    Rock-it: not nearly as technical as the two above, but a real fun, fast downhill section; also a great climb if you've got the lungs and legs.

Yeah, we've got a few fun trails down here....

mtbr member

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Floater
    "roots and rocks, up and down" Sounds like lower Holy Jim trail (Cleveland National Forest off Trabuco Creek) at the creek crossings. And it is a great trail!
    Riding there on Sat. Look out poison oak here I come

mtbr member

aliso has it all

There are trails of every kind at Aliso Woods. I can ride my 25lb bike or my 45lb bike there. A good one that has no mention yet is 5 Oaks in Aliso. The trail comes off by the water tower on the north side of the park. It has some steeps and rocks and ends with a fun root section. Highly recommend stair steps also

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hi, guys!

I am in Aliso Viejo now. I have tried a lot of trail in Woods Canyon Park. Rock It is my favourite so far - both downhill and uphill. Where can I find Stairsteps?

I've got a Stiffee
    Quote Originally Posted by matjazr
    Hi, guys!

I am in Aliso Viejo now. I have tried a lot of trail in Woods Canyon Park. Rock It is my favourite so far - both downhill and uphill. Where can I find Stairsteps?
    If you climb up Cholla and make a left on the fireroad (Westridge) you'll pass Lynx on the left and go up a hill, then the fireroad turns left up another hill and Steps will be on the right side. There is a sign there, it is about 1/2 mile or so from the top of Cholla.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    What are roots?

The only roots here in the OC are on all the fake blonds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks, I'll try that