mtbr member
    Sep 2011

When is Big Bear (Summit) closing this year?

I have looked and haven't seen an official date yet. Just trying to plan one last trip before they close. Looks like camping is out at Pineknot do to our wonderful government shutting it down.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I heard from my LBS Oct 20th.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just rode up there yesterday. I was talking to the staff and they are shooting for the 28th of October. Camping at Pineknot would be pretty rough right now as it was 33 degrees this morning.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Update- Rode there Sat. Oct 12th and a staff member told me they will be open next weekend for sure (19-20) and after that they will decide whether to stay open on a weekend by weekend basis. It all depends on the weather. There is snow up there already but the trail conditions are great. Once another storm comes and drops some snow I'm betting they'll start snowmaking and the season will be over with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Island20v View Post
    I just rode up there yesterday. I was talking to the staff and they are shooting for the 28th of October. Camping at Pineknot would be pretty rough right now as it was 33 degrees this morning.
    We rode by and thru the campground this weekend. They had all the signs wrapped with a heavy duty plastic material. I think it's shut down for the season already...with or without the govt shutdown.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That makes sense. Pretty lame they can't even keep campgrounds open. At least this didn't happen in the middle of summer when everyone is still out camping.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This is from FB post by snow summit: "We are SUPER excited to announce that we will be open for hiking, mountain biking and Scenic Sky Chair rides through the 27th. That's 2 more weeks of downhill fun! After the 27th we will be open on a weekend by weekend basis depending on Mother Nature!