Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Whats your favorite Socal tires?

Hey OC mates, just wondering what sneek's you guys are sport'in, esp your UST digs?

Riding dirt since 1970
    Conti Gravity protection 2.3. Seem to hold up better than anything else so far, but they'll still chunk a little.
    Med. Nomad C for sale

Warrior's Society
    I don't run UST tires.

However I find that 2.1 WTB Exiwolf front and 2.0 WTB Nanoraptor work great as a XC tire. So far they have excelled in everything except loose gravel......but then again what tire does. Both are light weight. The Nanoraptor has really low rolling resistance, but tons of traction.

mtnbikej

stay thirsty, my friends
    I just got new tires . . . 2.1 wtb weirwolf in the back and 2.4 wtb mutano raptor in the front. Only one ride on em so far but they seem to have less rolling resistance and as much traction (maybe more) as my heavy sticky e kenda kinetic 2.35.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

mtbr member
    Panaracer 2.5 MegaBlaster in front - cushion
    IRC MythosXC 2.1 rear - climbing traction

Conti Gravity 2.3 had rolling resistance, as a rear would slide sideways off camber

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Ones I like (in no particular order since it depends on conditions):

Tioga DH 2.1 & 2.3
    WTB Weirwolf
    WTB Velociraptor (F & R, but especially the front)
    IRC Mythos XC 2.1 (Rear ONLY)
    Hutchinson Scorpion (tubeless only - I didn't think the tube version was as good)

The only tire I absolutlely will not ever ride again is the front specific IRC Mythos XC 2.1. To say it's sketchy is an understatement. The pucker-factor on that tire is off the chart!

The name's Norm...
    Really diggin' the WTB Weirwolf Race. Running 'em front and back. The things hook up on everything.

Just another Homer

Running

The Maxxis Mobster 2.35 on the front and the 2.1 's on the back.Awesome tires.I've tried as many as 30 different combinations and this is the best set up for me so far. I run tubeless with the Stans. They wear fast,but it's worth it.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    2.35 Maxxis Highroller 's Front and back

Glad to Be Alive
    anything Michelin....great tubeless tires too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

kneecap
    Dec 2003

Red or Blackwall ?

[QUOTE=pacman]Panaracer 2.5 MegaBlaster in front - cushion
    IRC MythosXC 2.1 rear - climbing traction

Pacman, do you run the Mythos rear in the Japanese redwall edition, or the less expensive Tiawan blackwalls? I never cared for the irc redwall look, although used to like the rear mythos myself. I know, I shouldn't care, I'm just a fashion who-e, but just curious if you've tried both tires & noticed any performance difference?
    Last edited by kneecap; 04-11-2005 at 11:43 PM.

Ya, right.
    Ran Panaracer Fire XC Pro's for awhile. They were OK but rather unimpressive. Switched to a pair of Ritchey Z Maxx a couple months ago --2.35 up front and 2.1 in the rear-- and they are awesome. They hook up in everything. If you can turn the pedals, they'll find traction. The guys at my LBS suggested them and I couldn't be happier. They shed mud very well and roll pretty good too.
    I hope you have a big trunk... 'cuz I'm puttin' my bike in it.

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    Kenda Nevegal 2.5 front, 2.35 rear, wire beads on my DH bike, Nevegal 2.35 front and rear folding beads on my AM/FR bike.

mtbr member
    Don't run USTs but I do run WTB 2.4 Mutano Raptors on both my singlespeed and gearie. Minimal rolling resistance and enough grip for me.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    on my 29er ss...
    2.1 wtb motoraptor up front
    2.1 wtb nanoraptor rear

i may give the new 2.3 exiwolf a try for my rigid riding.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Mutano Raptos

I ran two or three sets of 2.35 Mutano Raptors in the front. Can't really say much for its "rollability", but I found it wasn't that durable. When I was running them I was living in the South Bay and rode Del Cerro Park at least once durring the week and either there on the weekend or elsewhere between the Santa Monica, Angeles, or Ortega Mountains. I found that I was freguently ripping lugs off the outside set of lugs. I also felt like I was washing out a bit when transitioning through hard turns. Just my opinion.

I've been running a 2.3 Nokian NBX in the front without a tube sense June. The tire has never been take off actually. A few times when putting a ton of weight on the front wheel in technical situations I've actually had a bit of air excape but never gone flat. I just pump some more air in and keep riding. In the rear I've been running 2.1 VelociRaptors in the rear for three years. The have been fail proof. If you are looking for a 2.1 tire I can't recommend this tire enough.

I recently wanted to try some new tires so I got a Kenda 2.3 Nevegal folding bead and a Kenda 2.5 Blue Groove folding bead. I got them from SuperGo on sale for a good price. The Blue Groove is still not in but I rode with the Nevegal this weekend and was pleased. Still a bit early. So far I like the extra width in the rear. My only complaint so far was all the rocks in my shoes from the tires kicking them up.

Giant Anthem Rider

Spider UST 2.1 are great!

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Hey OC mates, just wondering what sneek's you guys are sport'in, esp your UST digs?
    The have great grip in loose stuff and corners. Climbing is good as well. To add to that they roll pretty well too. They are faster than the Scorpions, but not as fast as Pythons.

hispanic mechanic

Oh yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    on my 29er ss...
    2.1 wtb motoraptor up front
    2.1 wtb nanoraptor rear

i may give the new 2.3 exiwolf a try for my rigid riding.
    Definitely try the Exi up front. I run mine down aroud 20psi, and it really shines on everything from Mission Trails to BLT.
    Oh, and a Nano in back. Of course!

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

Unshaven Yak

Hmmm...

2.25 Trailbears front & rear at $20 a pop serve as all purpose beauties, but rear pressure must be maintained in the rocks or suffer the pinchie.

Fell in & out of love with Python airlights....good on the climb, descend better than they oughta but pinch too much; I've been eyin' a pair of the new generation &/or the tubeless version (stans the man); airlights can be had for super-cheap.

Currently getting to know a 2.35 Minion DH F (60 durometer) & have been impressed so far although it's skinnier than my Trailbears so I'm thinking about a 2.5 to match the 2.35 Kujo that has been serving on the Coiler Rear for the last few rides.

Have a set of 2.5 T-wolf races for when it's down only or I'm ascending with someone who makes the anchor ok. These F-ers are the cat's meow on anything that goes down. Rear wears out quick, even with care (as much as you can care when you're freakin' flyin'!)

Michelin does a really good 2.5 Comp 30 DH rear that sticks like glue & is now reserved solely for the next bikepark (probably mammoth considering the demise of BB)

Conti 2.3 Vert's are great in the spring loam & on the mossy rocks but can't handle the speed once things dry out.

Stay away from the Motoraptor's on the front (2.25-2.4) as the smaller one has a strange profile & the bigger one lacks an infants grip.

Me= 6'3 200lb 30+ year old riding the hills of Santa Barbara on a Heckler & a Coiler DL

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbric
    The have great grip in loose stuff and corners. Climbing is good as well. To add to that they roll pretty well too. They are faster than the Scorpions, but not as fast as Pythons.
    I'll second the Spiders.

If you look up on the tires forum you'll find a LOOOng review of the 2.1 UST Spider.

high plains drifter

Z-max

2.35 seems to work for me
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix
    Kenda Kinetics 2.35 with Stick-E rubber for the front.
    This thing grabs in the corners, especially on the hardpack trails
    with the sugarcoating of fine gravels.

Still haven't found a great rear tire.

Shlepdawg on da smoov tip
    Been runnin the WTB MutanoRaptors front (2.4) and rear (2.24) in the dry stuff and I am absolutely diggin on them. Good tire for drier conditions here in SoCal (mostly Santa Mountains, Ortegas, and Coastal mountain stuff) and they seem to hold up for quite a while. They absolutely suck in muddy conditions, but for dry conditions on sandstone, hardpack with loose surface and general conditions they work well. I used to run Ritchey Z-max, and Panaracer Fire XC pro's, but the WTBs are working out better. The center ridge of lugs really does help with the rolling resistance on hard pack and really helps out if you have to hit a bit of pavement on your way to the trails (which is my situation).

BODYSNATCHER

... and if we just ... Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Ones I like (in no particular order since it depends on conditions):

Tioga DH 2.1 & 2.3
    WTB Weirwolf
    WTB Velociraptor (F & R, but especially the front)
    IRC Mythos XC 2.1 (Rear ONLY)
    Hutchinson Scorpion (tubeless only - I didn't think the tube version was as good)

The only tire I absolutlely will not ever ride again is the front specific IRC Mythos XC 2.1. To say it's sketchy is an understatement. The pucker-factor on that tire is off the chart!
    I thought I was the only one. Didn't try to run it only on the back, though.
    I switched from those to Specialized Evil Twins, 2.4's, they are a heavier tire, but hook up in (almost) everything.
    Last edited by mr magu; 04-13-2005 at 03:55 PM. Reason: noyb
    High up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home...

Village Dirtbag
    Continental Vertical ProTection 2.3, front and rear. The ExiWolf does about as well as the conti in the rear.

Great all around traction and rolling resistance with reasonable durbility and weight as well. AWESOME in deep sand- WAY more stable in deep sand than my 2.4 Mutano Raptors, with better traction and not much difference in rolling resistance to boot!

They might not be the best for drops or race, but they are an excellent all around tire.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast