mtbr member
    Jul 2006

What's the riding like in late October?

We're planning on heading to the States in late October for a week or so of riding, and we're thinking about heading to So Cal somewhere as it will hopefully be not as cold as further North. Will it still be pretty wet around this time though?

What area's would you recommend for good single track/trail riding?

mtbr member
    Great riding in October! Down here in San Diego the weather will be beautiful, the zonies are back where they came from...only drawback...it will be pretty dusty since it probably hasn't rained for the last 8 month.

For places to ride check out Bills website: http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

BMF
    Oct 2007
    As Reign said, great time to ride here. 74F/23C temps, sometimes warmer if the Santa Ana wind is blowing. I don't think it's too cold up north in October, or at least not in the Bay Area or Sierra Foothills, but everyone's definition of cold is different. October is typically dry from San Diego all the way north to San Francisco.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos
    As Reign said, great time to ride here. 74F/23C temps, sometimes warmer if the Santa Ana wind is blowing. I don't think it's too cold up north in October, or at least not in the Bay Area or Sierra Foothills, but everyone's definition of cold is different. October is typically dry from San Diego all the way north to San Francisco.
    Pretty much what these guys said. Coastal California, most likely you'll be Ok up to San Francisco. October is when we start to get seasonal change, though, and days get shorter, colder, and there is a chance of rain. Late October would be very iffy as far as the Sierras. Definitely freezing temps overnight and chance of snow above 5 or 6 thousand feet.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    If you are in the Pasadena area or want to ride in the mountains to the north of LA (Angeles National Forest) shoot me a PM when you are here. I can see if my schedule will allow a guiding trip. I primarily ride in the Angeles and know most of the trails like the back of my hand. They tend to be technical, narrow, with exposure and have a good backcountry feel. Hard to believe one of the World's largest cities is only miles away.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Just about as good as any other month...

That is why we live here.