Fireball in the Night

What's near Riverside to Ride XC?

Hey -

I'll be planted in Riverside for a couple days next week and need some local trail advice. The job is sending me South by 600 miles and I'll have at least one full free day to explore.

If you had one day to ride solo, starting with or without your truck somewhere near Riverside, where would you go for XC trails?

Thanks in advance

~ Rex
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member

Drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Skidmore
    Hey -

I'll be planted in Riverside for a couple days next week and need some local trail advice. The job is sending me South by 600 miles and I'll have at least one full free day to explore.

If you had one day to ride solo, starting with or without your truck somewhere near Riverside, where would you go for XC trails?

Thanks in advance

~ Rex
    Drive the 1.5 hrs to Big Bear. Since you have the whole day. Leave at 7:30 am, be there at 9am. Ride the lift up ride down. Repeat 6 times.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Use GeoLadders to search for trails in Riverside and neighboring counties:

http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php...1&location=all

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Big Bear is a good suggestion. Worth the 3 hrs r/t driving to avoid the summer heat/smog of Riverside. But if you have 2-3 hrs to kill in the evening or early morning, check out Sycamore Canyon. Mapquest Central Ave and x-street Canyon Crest Dr. About 1/2 mile further east on Central (heading towards the 60 fwy) is parking and a trailhead on the right side. Mainly rolling singletrack. Fairly popular riding area, so you will pass others - and a few snakes - at some point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'd head up to hurkey creek, above hemet, about 1 hour away. its at 5000 feet, and should be cooler.

Over the Hill
    One day! Either Grout Bay/ Grey's Peak in Fawnskin or for a longer ride Santa Ana River Trail in Angelus Oaks.

Fireball in the Night
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    That GeoLadders is effing intense.

Anybody want to claim "the best of the best" out of all the above suggestions?

My dogs are killin me
    If you're looking for a close ride then try Southridge park in Fontana. It's on geoladders too. Nice 7 mile loop with some good climbs. Suprisingly fun considering the city it's in

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

Best of the Best.

If you have a whole day go up and ride the Santa Ana River Trail. It's an awesome trail and shouldn't be missed. There are a number of different loops and out and backs that you can do. You could probably do a search for "Santa Ana River Trail" or "SART" and get lots of responses. I haven't looked at Geoladders, but there's probably stuff there too.

For local stuff I think Sycamore Canyon in Riverside is pretty good. I like it better than Southridge, but I live across the street from Sycamore, so I might be biased.

Drop a note about when you are planning and riding and where if you are interested in riding with others.

~Reed
    --------------------------------------

Live Your Life
    www.birthdaychallenge.com

No known cure

I wouldn't ride in Riverside.

The air is filthy. Off the 60 freeway there's a billboard stating "Welcome to Riverside County! We're No1 Dirtiest Air in the Nation. Deadly health Effects." Or something along those lines. Sycamore Canyon is fun but I wouldn't ride it during the summer. Most of the fun stuff in Riverside now has houses on it. I would suggest Big Bear, SART, or Hurkey Creek. Much cooler too.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

banned
    Apr 2004

Rivertucky's got smog, heat

Hey -

Thanks in advance

~ Rex
    and traffic,
    but at least it backs up to the Cleveland National Forest.

Fireball in the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Reedster
    Drop a note about when you are planning and riding and where if you are interested in riding with others.

~Reed
    I'll do that. As it turns out, the schedule changed. It's okay, though. In prep, I had the Oil changed / tires rotated / new speakers installed --- the truck's ready for a road trip.

Its only 1" on the map!
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    That GeoLadders is effing intense.

Anybody want to claim "the best of the best" out of all the above suggestions?
    My vote would be to get out of Reeferside and do the SART.

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/SART.htm

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

Sometimes the air is worse in the mountains...

Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    The air is filthy. Off the 60 freeway there's a billboard stating "Welcome to Riverside County! We're No1 Dirtiest Air in the Nation. Deadly health Effects." Or something along those lines.
    Because of the way that Ozone is worse when the particles are smaller the worst air is sometimes in the mountains at higher elevations. Crestline, which is up in the San Bernardino mountains usually has the worst air conditions in the whole area. I've also ridden the Santa Ana River Trail when the smog affected me far worse than it does in Riverside.

But yea, the air in Riverside can be quite bad. When I think it is I check the AirNow website and see if it's safe to ride. Still, it's always fine in the morning and riding local, early is a great option when it's all that's available to you.

Just my $.02.

~R

Live Your Life

No known cure
    Because of the way that Ozone is worse when the particles are smaller the worst air is sometimes in the mountains at higher elevations. Crestline, which is up in the San Bernardino mountains usually has the worst air conditions in the whole area. I've also ridden the Santa Ana River Trail when the smog affected me far worse than it does in Riverside.

But yea, the air in Riverside can be quite bad. When I think it is I check the AirNow website and see if it's safe to ride. Still, it's always fine in the morning and riding local, early is a great option when it's all that's available to you.

Just my $.02.

~R
    You don't have to tell me about Crestline, I live here. There's really no riding here but I do most of my riding, east of here, in the morning. I grew up in Riverside and still work there. You used to be able to see Crestline from Riverside but these days that's only a handfull of times a year.

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

So true.

Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    You used to be able to see Crestline from Riverside but these days that's only a handfull of times a year.
    Yea I know. I can see it most mornings, but almost never in the evening. I think the only time is when the Santa Anas are blowing, but then we have to worry about the increased fire hazard the dry air brings. Which reminds me again of the question: "Why do I still live here?" When I get that answered I'll be on my way.

I don't envy your commute. I jsut switched jobs just so I wouldn't have to drive from Riverside to San Bernardino and back everyday. Your commute is likely worse, and that doesn't include the miles from Crestline to San Bernardino.

Where do you ride usually? I've ridden from that area down to Silverwood lake on some trails open to motorcycles. That was pretty nice. I've also ridden around Snow Valley/ Rim Nordic, but that's it until you get over to Big Bear.

Enjoy those morning rides. I'm sure they're beautiful.

~R

Live Your Life

No known cure
    Yea I know. I can see it most mornings, but almost never in the evening. I think the only time is when the Santa Anas are blowing, but then we have to worry about the increased fire hazard the dry air brings. Which reminds me again of the question: "Why do I still live here?" When I get that answered I'll be on my way.

I don't envy your commute. I jsut switched jobs just so I wouldn't have to drive from Riverside to San Bernardino and back everyday. Your commute is likely worse, and that doesn't include the miles from Crestline to San Bernardino.

Where do you ride usually? I've ridden from that area down to Silverwood lake on some trails open to motorcycles. That was pretty nice. I've also ridden around Snow Valley/ Rim Nordic, but that's it until you get over to Big Bear.

Enjoy those morning rides. I'm sure they're beautiful.

~R
    Today was actually quite nice until the smog rolled in at around 2pm. Everyone up here is quite antsy right now with the Sawtooth Fire doing it's thing. Everyone still has The Old Fire fresh in their memories. This is a bad one though. Over 70,000 acres burned since yesterday afternoon. The Old Fire burned 91,000 acres in a week.
    My commute isn't that bad. Besides that construction mess at the 91/215/60 interchange, I make it to Tyler St in 40 minutes. Ten more minutes to get home if I'm on the freeway by 3:30.
    Around here, I usually ride behind the hospital in Arrowhead, down at Silverwood or just explore the whole backside from here to Big Bear on the MX/jeep trails. There's also two secret DH runs down the street that drop from highway 138 to the Miller Canyon side of Lake Silverwood.