Vegan Athlete

What's Closed or Open? - Cook's Corner Area

Hello Southern brothers and sisters.
    I'm headed south for the xmas holiday and am looking for some information about what is closed due to the fires.

My plan is to bring my cyclocross bike, head up to Irvine Lake (from the North Lake in Irvine area) then head over to Cook's corner, hit up some fire roads up there and then ride back.

Most importantly I wanted to know which of those fire roads are open / closed.
    I'll probably be checking geo ladders for information on putting some loops together.

Thanks,
    Hyland
    Nevada City, CA
    Take a look at and consider "liking" my Vegan Athlete Facebook page.

rosendaadventurerace.com

We the people ...

Check out Nobel Canyon that can be open, however the cold is really @#%$ right now...

Heres an article of 1 year ago... Snow is present in this time of year but ridible, you will see the pictures because you will not be able to read it, its in spanish...

http://www.rodandoenbaja.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=17

http://www.rodandoenbaja.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=410

How to get there www.mountainbikebill.com could be your best shot...

giddy up!
    Not sure when exactly you'll be here....or how well you know the area....but hopefully I can help you out.

Basically the only "open" areas in the Santa Ana's are Blackstar canyon at the north end and everything from Holy Jim on south.

What does that mean to you? Your best bet is probably to climb blackstar and then head back the same way you came....or drop down to the 91 and ride pavement back to Irvine.

Depending on when you're here I'd be happy to show you around. I know the area really well and do alot of pavement/dirt riding.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Vegan Athlete
    K.
    So the Los Pinos Loop would be open?
    This makes some big a$$ loops from Irvine. The road route is usually 50 miles, i'd be adding Los Pinos to that. Big day.

So, to clarify, the Vision Quest 2004 route would be closed?

Thx.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn

So, to clarify, the Vision Quest 2004 route would be closed?

Thx.

Very:-)

As for Los Pinos.....it's open and good to go. But on a cross bike? YIKES!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Vegan Athlete
    Yea, on a cross bike. I don't know what i'm getting myself into, i've never ridden it.
    Only ridden Whiting, years ago, the Luge and the San Juan Trail. As long as it's not really steep and really rock I should be fine.

Otherwise pedaling the single speed on this loop could take a day or two, I max out at about 15 mph, I would definitely spin out on Santiago Canyon Road....

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Blackstar Canyon

Try Blackstar Canyon. 8 mile climb to the main divide and the trail is in good shape. No problems on a crossbike. I saw one up there on Sunday as a matter a fact.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    if you can do san juan, then you will be fine on going up holy jim and down tabucco, which is a great fun ride.

you will probably be really unhappy on los pinos.

Vegan Athlete
    How does Blackstar compare to Silverado Canyon road? Looks like there's a fair amount of climbing going up Silverado.

Thanx!

Also, does anybody know if Jeffrey Road continues across Portola to Santiago Canyon road in real life? It does on Google Maps, but i've never done it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Blackstar is an 8 mile climb. It is fairly flat until you pass the homes, then it is a moderate climb to the top.

You can get there pretty easy if you take Portola or El Toro to Santiago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vuduvgn
    How does Blackstar compare to Silverado Canyon road? Looks like there's a fair amount of climbing going up Silverado.

Thanx!

Also, does anybody know if Jeffrey Road continues across Portola to Santiago Canyon road in real life? It does on Google Maps, but i've never done it.

Jeffrey does NOT continue to Santiago Canyon Rd. It ends up at Portola.
    The only two ways to get to Sant Cany are from the end of Jamboree and the end of El Toro.

If you are willing to go even further, you could take Santiago Canyon over to Live Oak (South), into Rancho Santa Margarita and from there hit Bellview fire road... that takes you all the way to Caspers park. From there you can even ride (off road) all the way to the bottom of San Juan. Then maybe up San Juan, hit main divide to Trabuco or Holy Jim, then back down. If you can do all that though, you are an ANIMAL!!

Good Luck!!

mtbr member
    Here is a link to the MAP for the forest service. It shows exactly what is off limits. $10,000 fine if you enter the "closed" area.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/co...e-santiago.pdf

It loaded kind of slow for me so be patient.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    any word on when whiting ranch will reopen?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    november 08?