Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cyclemaven.net

What is up with all the rattlers?

Before this year, I'd never seen a rattlesnake. Now, all of a sudden, I've seen six in the last five weeks!
    I thought it might have been because I'm doing more biking and less hiking now, but the other day one was spralled across the Backbone trail in TSP, snoozing away, and I almost stepped on him while hiking.
    I saw one today too, which shaved a good six minutes off my local ride. What's happening? I thought we had until June before breeding time.

mtbr member
    The news said it was going to be a really bad year for them. I say one yesterday for the first time in 3 years. I am a huge pu$$y and find that I ride the road almost exclusively in the summer months.

The name's Norm...
    Did Turnbull on Saturday and bunny hopped one all coiled up and angry!! Elab passed him seconds earlier and jumped him so he coiled up and waited for the next victim. Me!! I cleared him even when he struck at me!! I was moving too fast for him to hit me. Close one I'll say. Keep your eyes open, guys!!!

Glad to Be Alive
    I hate snakes
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    Before this year, I'd never seen a rattlesnake. Now, all of a sudden, I've seen six in the last five weeks!
    I thought it might have been because I'm doing more biking and less hiking now, but the other day one was spralled across the Backbone trail in TSP, snoozing away, and I almost stepped on him while hiking.
    I saw one today too, which shaved a good six minutes off my local ride. What's happening? I thought we had until June before breeding time.

Saw one too on the Backbone a week or two ago....

boy was he angry
    Last edited by RustyBearings; 04-04-2005 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Explanation

Well, in SoCal, at least in Orange County, we have had a lot of rain this past winter and spring and it's cause a lot of green grass and weeds which mice love. And snakes love mice. I saw on just this past weekend. A friend of mind was coming down a hill, and there was one in the bottom that looked just like a stick, all layed out. He went to bunny-hop the stick, and sure as sh*t it coiled up just in time for me to come down. It didn't strike at me though. It was a baby about two feet.

By the way, does anyone have any proof that baby rattlers are more dangerous than adult? The theory is, is that they can't control how much venom they inject in thier victims when they bite, and so they give the full dose which is as much as an adult....

mtbr member
    By the way, does anyone have any proof that baby rattlers are more dangerous than adult? The theory is, is that they can't control how much venom they inject in thier victims when they bite, and so they give the full dose which is as much as an adult....[/QUOTE]

According to Dr. Sean Bush of Loma Linda Hospital, that is not true. I watched "Venom ER" the last couple seasons on Animal Planet, very interesting and informative. Generally the adults are more of a threat, as they have the potential to administer a larger volume of venom. According to him there are six species of rattlers here in Socal. Snakes, gotta love 'em!! Not.
    Last edited by iamhommer; 04-04-2005 at 10:42 PM.

greedy as a pig
    I don't mind them if I see them in advance, but what I really hate is when you are slowly going along, minding your own business and all of a sudden there is one hiding in the bushes and starts rattling, scares the **** out of me!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

First time

Yeah I've never seen a rattler being from the mid-west, and I heard it start rattling as I went past. I had to go back and check it out. Kept my distance of course though. I figure he wont get angry unless I intice it or my friend rides over it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    You just haven't been riding enough.

You must use your ears, video: http://www.allsingletrack.com/cheesebro/rattler.mpg

Or your eyes, look closely
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    What time are you guys seeing the rattlers? Early morning and evening? Watch where you stop to smell the roses and take in the scenery.

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Tis the season...

Rattlers are just part of SoCal mtn biking. We're playing on their turf

I usually hear them to the side of the fireroads under the leaves and plants during the peak noon hours. Don't see them, but I sure hear them.

When I do actually see them, it's morning or evening hours.

I see them in the Santa Monica Mtns. Never seen one down in Palos Verdes. Those are my usual riding spots.

DOWNHILL MAFIA

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

I'm not surprised. This past season's weather has been perfect for rattlesnake breeding. Please show them respect as with all wildlife, and do not disturb them. If you must, often times the little guys are lying across the trail , make a slight noise about 6-10ft away and they will most likely crawl away. Whatever you do....

[size=7]DON'T TREAD ON ME!![/size]
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

DOWNHILL MAFIA

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I hate snakes
    dont hate snakes shiver!!!!

Heres my snakes...

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    Tis the season...

I see them in the Santa Monica Mtns. Never seen one down in Palos Verdes. Those are my usual riding spots.
    Really????
    I've seen at least 5 or 6 this year already, but I'm there alot. They've all been little tiny babies too.

Waiting to exhale.
    Which socal trails are less likely to have rattlers? I live out in the dessert, I am sure I will meet DR. Bush from venom E.R. as I am most likely going to get bit sooner or later out here. loma linda is the closest MTF around that can handle a serious snake bite. I'll get to ride in a helicopter! wooohooo! If I make it on the tv show, I will give shout outs to mtbr!
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

hispanic mechanic

Lots down here in Sandy Eggo, too...

So far, in the last 3 rides at Lake Hodges, I've seen 4, and had others tell me about more that I missed.
    A couple of weeks ago, some morons were trying to bash one with rocks. Not my favorite behavior. I figure, if you can't live and let live, stay indoors.
    I have immense respect for rattlers. Where I grew up (South Texas) we had a lot of rattlers, and a lot of cottonmouths/water moccasins. Other venomous snakes don't give fair warning like rattlers, and in fact, the water moccasins would actually give chase for a while!
    Makes you really appreciate the rattle...

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    I used to ride a lot in the Los Angeles area, including their Sycamore Canyon. On one ride several years ago we passed 14 rattlers on the trail from the 101 side down to the beach side, ONE WAY. All that grassy habitat...

I also used to work on top of Oat Mtn., above Chatsworth, and would drive down Browns Canyon road in the early evening, where the Micheal D. Antonovich park and sign are now. Every day, there would be TENS of rattlesnakes on the paved road, and no way to drive without running some over. They don't just squash, but usually slithered off to die. Since the road is so steep, I was driving slowly and --kid you not-- sometimes one of the little monsters would bang its head off the rocker panel or fender, striking at the car!

It's gonna be a big year for snakes.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    So far, in the last 3 rides at Lake Hodges, I've seen 4, and had others tell me about more that I missed.
    A couple of weeks ago, some morons were trying to bash one with rocks. Not my favorite behavior. I figure, if you can't live and let live, stay indoors.
    I have immense respect for rattlers. Where I grew up (South Texas) we had a lot of rattlers, and a lot of cottonmouths/water moccasins. Other venomous snakes don't give fair warning like rattlers, and in fact, the water moccasins would actually give chase for a while!

the los
    I have seen more snakes in one week in central Texas than I have seen in all my years of living in California. That place is LOADED with snakes. Big ones too!

Rattlers laying in the trail can be stubborn SOB's too. They don't all just go on their way because you make some noise or say pretty please. I ran across a large Mojave Green stretched out across the trail a couple years ago that was not going to budge. After about ten minutes of coaxing and cajoling, I gave up on him moving out of the way and finally just backed up a ways and rode by quickly behind him. By the time he coiled up, I was gone.

mtbr member

rattler resources

This link to Loma Linda has good info for all ya snake lovers....http://www.llu.edu/llumc/emergency/venom-er/index.html

pewpewpew Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    Saw one too on the Backbone a week or two ago....

boy was he angry

me too - actually two time on different rides in the same spot - heading weat and right before a little steep pitch He was in the bushes and sounded 2 inches away as I passed. I let out a yelp. A moment later my friend passed him, got rattled too and she yelped!

mtbr member

hate those water moccasins

hate those water moccasins, I lived in texas for four years and i had a lot of encounters with them, i used to call them the a**hole snake, they don't move in fact the come after you some times

Quote Originally Posted by sslos

the los

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Anyone carry anti-snakebite kit with them? If so, where can I get one?
    I encountered my first rattler crossing the path on my way to the hub
    from paseo miramar last saturday around 1 pm. I stopped 5 feet away
    and let it slither to the park bench. Had I pedalled any faster and
    I may have rolled over it and possibly gotten bit.

Action Sports Trader

snake bite kit

Hey,

I bought one last year at REI. It's pretty small and can fit in a camle back. Just ask the people there and they can hook you up.

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsklein
    I encountered my first rattler crossing the path on my way to the hub
    from paseo miramar last saturday around 1 pm. I stopped 5 feet away
    and let it slither to the park bench. Had I pedalled any faster and
    I may have rolled over it and possibly gotten bit.

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ellsklein
    my dad used to. He never had to use it but he was mostly a fireroad type-a-guy. I attached a pic below. I tried it out once and it makes a huge amount of suction for being so small, it'll suck the venom right out.

And don't try the whole "dude, suck out the poison" thing; doesn't work.

You can get a kit at any camping/outdoor store (REI, Adventure 16, etc)

The razor in this kit is also good for that mid-ride shave I'm so fond of
    Last edited by tgreathead; 04-05-2005 at 07:03 PM. Reason: added snide remark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast