mtbr member
    Sep 2004

What type of brakes do you have????

Disc or V brakes????? I have a 2003 Specialized Epic Comp and I was thinking on changing over to disk. I know that in disk hydro is the way to go. But.... if you could have cable disk would you change from V brakes?????

mtbr member
    I ride the Santa Monicas.

Avid SD7 vees and levers.

I've ridden both disc (mechs and hydros) and vees. Currently I ride vees on my XC bike and find its stopping power just fine for the Santa Monicas' XC fire roads that I ride.

I would go hydro disc if on Big Bear XC type trails.

mtbr member
    i have the avid mech 160 and there awsome and you can find them cheap.

l337 |31k3r
    I would say for sure (and I live in Southern California also) that if your not SURE about dumping money into disks. Try the Avid Mechs. Their power is the closest thing to hydro as disks can get without being hydros. At a fraction of the price also.

Granted, your most likely going to need new hubs, but $140-$160 will get you into Avid mechanical disks (160mm front and rear) , which by all means is enough for an xc bike(rotor size wise).

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BR707C02
    People call me a dick, but I just think im clever.

Honary member of the
    591 club & 773 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedro
    what he meant was 'greaser' types, most likely performing choreographed musical outakes which somehow degrade dirt jumps...

mtbr member

Idea!

I have Avid vees on my HT and Avid Juicys on my FS. My wife has Avid vees on her HT, and Avid mechanicals on her FS. My riding buddies have either Avid vees (if I build it, it gets Avid), Avid Mechanical discs or Hayes mechanical discs. One of our riders (230lb, 6'5") just converted his XL 2003 Epic to Avid Mechanical 160 discs, coming off of Avid vees. He loves them, and my suggestion for you is the Avid Mechanical discs. This year, they're split in model number, so either get 2004 brakes or the 2005 "BB7", full featured brake.

They are easy to install, easier to dial in and maintain than even an Avid 7 vee, and work GREAT. They can be fixed/maintained/repaired on the trail, without special tools, and you can tune them for feel and power. Once you deal with wheelset, you can get a set for $150 or less, then use your existing brake levers or some Avid 7 levers, etc...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i have the 2004 epic comp with disc and a 2000 m4 pro

i am not sure whether the disc is worth it.....extra weight on the same side as the brain shock....when doing jumps or swinging the rear end around....tends to have too much lateral momentum..... I have always breaked fine with the V's.....disc work incredibly well, but.....maybe overrated

Unshaven Yak
    Avid Mechs are great. I use an 8" rotor up front & a 6" in the back of my bikes. Even standard 6" avids offer more way more usable power with superior control near lockup than v's. The ease of maintainence & straight-forward design also has me sold.

Of course I would love to have a new set of El Camino's or Hope MonoM4s, but I cannot possibly justify the cost to performance (& likely more headaches).

I have a four sets of xt v brakes in pretty good shape sitting in a box....the same one that holds my old control tech quill stem (circa 1993) & an original Rockshox (amp) caliper.

banned
    Apr 2004

XTR V brakes with Ritchie pads

Quote Originally Posted by XC Mike
    Disc or V brakes????? I have a 2003 Specialized Epic Comp and I was thinking on changing over to disk. I know that in disk hydro is the way to go. But.... if you could have cable disk would you change from V brakes?????
    Cheap, light and strong, how many MTB parts can you say that about?

mtbr member
    I run 8" hayes front and 6" Hayes rear on my bullit but I would recomend the Avid Mech Discs too. I know a few guys running them on their full DH rigs and love them. as long as you put a new cable on every year they are pretty much just as powerful as the hydros, great modulations, easy to setup and adjust, and cheap.
    AJ