mtbr member
    Jul 2005

What tires are you guys running?

Looking to find some lighter tires for Blur LT. I've been running a WTB VelociRaptor in the rear and a WTB WierWolf in the font for years now and it works fantastic for me. But I'd like to get something lighter.

Anyone running something light that provides good traction in loose dirt conditions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maxxis UST Ignitor's F/R.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I haven't taken the tubeless plunge yet so I don't have a lot of knowledge in the area.

I'm running Mavic XC 717 Disc rims. Will the Maxxis UST's work on those rims with some Stans or equivalent?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It really depends on what type of riding you do for tires. If your a racer then get something around 400g. If you like to slide corners some schwalbe fast freds are pretty awesome and they weigh under 400g. If you want more grip get some micheline greens (green color) or whatever replaced them. If your a downhiller, just stick with the heavy knobs. A lot of people are scared of light tires, due to less grip. I am not sure that they will puncture any more easily unless you are DH'ing. I find that in the sand and downhills I am fine with the xc race tires and they are heaven on the climbs. I would stay away from wtb tires if your concerned about weight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I mostly ride here in Orange County. Aliso Woods up Cholla, down Rock-It, Lynx, Meadows, etc. I sometimes venture out to San Jaun and the occasional trip to Utah or Colorado. But I do not do any XC Racing etc.

I raced BMX for years so I have pretty good bike handling skills. I have mostly very light weight XC components on my Blur LT without ever (3 years now) having component failure. Even though I do tend to bomb down trails like Rock-It without really hitting the brakes a bunch.

I started using the WTB tires because I found them to have great traction when climbing in the loose/dusty conditions here in the summer when the trails tend to be torn up. Previous tires I had used had a tendency to slip even with low tire pressure.

I've been using them for about 8 years now so I haven't really kept up with other tires out there. But now I am interested in shedding some rolling weight from my BLT by trying lighter tires, and a tubeless system like Stans.

That being said. Any experiences you guys have had with other tires being used in our terrain would be super helpful!

I'm running Mavic XC 717 Discs laced to King ISOs.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Your worried about weight and still running tubes?
    Tubeless man,tubeless. My XC bike and my DH bike are tubeless haven't had a flat in years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah I agree. I'm looking to switch over to a tubeless system (probably Stans or similar as I don't want to rebuild by wheels). And I need tires anyway so I wanted to make the switch with new tires which is the reason for the question about tires.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by BLT Fan
    I mostly ride here in Orange County. Aliso Woods up Cholla, down Rock-It, Lynx, Meadows, etc. I sometimes venture out to San Jaun
    I ride all those and found out, after trying many tires, that the Maxxis High Roller
    2.35 or bigger works best.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    1.85" Holy Rollers on the Stinky 2-4

2.5" Hookworms on the Jackal

2.5" Minions double wall (66-hard rubber) on the L-7

all of those are Maxxis brand tires.
    It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.

- Cicero

Boyeeee
    Blur 4x:
    Big Betty 2.4 GGC front on Stan's Flow mounted tubeless
    High Roller 2.35 LUST rear on Mavic 819
    Uzzi VPX:
    Maxxis Minion 2.5 UST Super-Tacky front on DT 6.1 w/ Stans
    Maxxis High Roller 2.5 3C rear on DT 6.1 w/ Stans
    SingleSpeed:
    Kenda Nevegal 2.3 DTC front on Stan's 355
    Kenda Small Block 8 2.3 DTC rear on Stan's 355

3 bikes, no tubes. If you're looking for light, the setup on my SingleSpeed isn't bad. The Kenda single-ply/non-UST casing is weaksauce though, I'd be careful about running this setup on a bike I ride aggressively.

I ride the Blur the most and that setup is great for traction, but rolling resistance is a little more than I'd like. I'm thinking about changing out that rear tire for something like the Nobby Nic 2.35 UST or Maxxis Crossmark 2.25 UST.