mtbr member
    Oct 2004

what are some good mud tires?

I just picked up some great snap on fenders for wet weather riding but am finding the clay in places like Lake Hodges and Los Penasquitos piles up and sticks to my tires. Does anyone know the best tires for bombing the mud pits? The folks on the east coast and up north ride muddy trails most of the year so what do they use to keep rolling? I'd be willing to give up traction so long as they still roll fast. After these big storms these trails really show some character with all the ruts and cracks and it would be nice to enjoy them at top speed. It's about time they don't look so "man made." Thanks!

mtbr member
    Panaracer Megablaster 2.5. My bike stayed clean while my partner's bike got dirty (Weirwolf's)

mtbr member
    Ive been riding Hutch Spider 2.3's in the mud with no problems

mtbr member
    for that them there cake, pb, or clay mud, I like to use Michi Semi slicks to cut through the sludge, either that or I use my 3.0 Gazzies to scoop up ALL the mud so there is none left thus I can ride with ease with a couple hundred pounds of dirt + water homogenious mixture on me.

Unshaven Yak
    Conti Survival is an awesome back tire, but a little prone to pinchies.

I've run WTB 2.5 Timberwolves this year with fantastic results, those things climb up walls & penetrate everything with wide-spaced knobs.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Nokian NBX 2.3

I just went on a really muddy ride this past weekend with my tires I normally ride on dry, dusty trail and was very impressed with my Nokian NBX 2.3 in the front. They shed mud very well.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    I've ridden everything from slicks to the old Specialized Storm Controls in mud. But the stuff you are talking about - clay is anything but mud. The clay we have here in SD county is the worst - everything sticks to it. Clay will stop a bike in it's tracks after a few feet - the stuff is also really bad for your bike because once it dries it's a b-i-t-c-h to get off your bike. The worst thing about riding in clay is that even if you make it through, you've left a several inch deep tire impression. When it finally dries out, that groove turns to the hardness of cement.

My recomendation - take it for what you want, but I've been riding trails in SD for 20 years - stay off the clay until it dries out a bit. There are lots of other places that are good to ride after rains. We have a lot of decomposed granite trails - remember the slippery, marble-y trails in summer that became super tacky just after a rain? Those are decomposed granite (DG). That type of dirt drains really well, doesn't pack up as mud and is really fun to ride after a rain.

That being said, the folks in the wet areas of the country like a mid-sized 1.8 to 2.0 tire with a widely spaced open tread design - for the most part. Check out http://www.mtbtires.com/index.html for some good mud tire info.

mtbr member

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by 37OHSSV-O773H
    I just picked up some great snap on fenders for wet weather riding but am finding the clay in places like Lake Hodges and Los Penasquitos piles up and sticks to my tires. Does anyone know the best tires for bombing the mud pits?...

That's so stupid, it's GOT to be a troll... both those parks (especially Los Pen) are susceptible to trail damage and to trail closures because of idiots that ride like that. Wait til it dries out and stay out of the mud.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

RE: good mud tires?

Riding in socal the last couple of weeks has been a blast. I'm also an East Coast transplant and miss the slick trails. I ride Panaracer Spikes and they seem to shed the clay pretty well. http://www.panaracer.com/pages/mountain/spike.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

No good

I would watch your back 37OHSSV seems we have a bunch of tree huggin trail nazi's out here that do nothin but complain about trail erosion, glad they werent around when that little chasim called the GRAND CAYON was being formed or we might have one less national park! Anyway they chased me out of Los Pen a few days ago snivelin about how my bike was going to give us all a bad name (all of us, please, like I signed up for some club when I bought my bike?) I guess the dude missed all the grading equipment and the golf course when he came chasing me down, frankly it looked like he was going to cry-pathetic bastard.
    Anyway it doesn't seem like these so called 'NATURE LOVERS" want things to be so natural, more like sanitized. I guess the days of riding hard and enjoying the rain and mud are over for a while. Maybe an East coast 37OHSSV like yourself knows the fun of ending a ride caked in mud, having some hot soup and spending a few hours cleaning every inch of your favorite toy...these guys just don't get it. Figures half of em can't drive in the rain either.
    Oh well thanks for all who gave me some info. I'll make sure to brush any leaves away that might land on the trails.
    LOL

mtbr member

Upset

Well both of you S37OHSSV are the reason we can't get the permit for the North Shore Style Park in Los Pen...plus that bulldoze/pave thing that the Sierra Club has on the docket in order to build a park for the Gnatcatchers. If you stupid, hippie, immigrants would leave the trails to those of us that have been riding them the right way, like it's been done for the last 200 years, everything would be fine. It's a passing fad, those kiddie bikes, so why not move on?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Wink

A few Bong hits does not make anyone a hippie. I'll take a good construction site over some horse dropping laden preserve filled with green peace wannabees. Riding is supposed to be about breaking away from the grind, working up some epinephrine and having fun with friends. Unfortunately it seems to me the fellas over there have turned it into some crazy political squabble about bike vs horse while the land gets raped by developers-nice. You keep fighting, I'll keep riding...I know, with that attitude "we won't be able to ride anywhere", wahhh,wahhh,wahhh. Do yourself a favor bud, lighten up and try to enjoy riding. Pretend it's like the old days when you first swung a leg over a saddle (back when you called it a seat) and just have fun, enjoy the ride and go home.
    BTW-are you the one who chased me out last week. Hmmmm my guess is YES.
    No hard feelings, just one mans opinion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Upset

Oh, and I'm not a TROLL bud, again just lovely.

mtbr member

censored

Message Censored
    Last edited by EBasil; 11-08-2004 at 02:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Hope

...and the endorphins .

Well maybe that's the problem. You're stuck on brain functions when you should be using the epinephrine to stimulate your heart. You think too much.