Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fat guy on a bike

what the heck is this...

I found a few of these on the trail during my Tuesday night Cheseboro cardio session. Its about 2 inches long. Looks like some sort of ant, 6 legs, beedy eyes, striped abdomen.

Never seen anything like it.

mtbr member
    Jerusalem cricket

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordy

I think we call them potato bugs. They're a nasty looking critter.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Also known locally as a potato bug.

JT, are you riding at night these days? If so, let me know and let's do Tapia. It's a blast at night.

Fat guy on a bike
    Yeah some quick research pointed out what it was. Must have been the warm weather yesterday that brought them out.

I ride usually after work. I had some rides planned this weekend but the weather might put and end to them. supposed big storm coming.

Silence and Thunder...
    http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

I've used this site on many occasions....
    ...every day sends future to past...

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, the good old potato bug. You didn't grow up around these parts, did ya?
    If not biking, then what?

Fat guy on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    Yeah, the good old potato bug. You didn't grow up around these parts, did ya?
    Nope, Oregonian here. I've run across scorpions and other weird (to me) creatures that i have recognized, but this one I had no idea on. I've watched more than my share of discovery channel/animal planet etc shows to know a lot, but this one was a new one.

Dirtmistress
    I found a few of these on the trail during my Tuesday night Cheseboro cardio session. Its about 2 inches long. Looks like some sort of ant, 6 legs, beedy eyes, striped abdomen.

Never seen anything like it.

This is an amusing site!

http://www.potatobugs.com/
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She'd clean the whole section,you know that!

mtbr member

Ugly but mellow

Wait til you tangle with a sun spider; those guys are right out of alien but at least they arent poisonus.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Sun spider

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    Wait til you tangle with a sun spider; those guys are right out of alien but at least they arent poisonus.
    That's exactly the bug I was going to reply with, but you beat me to it! They were running all around our feet one hot summer night in the A-B desert. Plus some kind of big flying biting bug (well, it didn't bite 'til I caught one). Forget what that was, but I remembered the solpugid (sun spider) because of the interesting name (looked it up as soon as I got home). Kinda freaked the kids & womenfolk out. Never seen any since. Whiptails & vinegaroons are pretty cool too, but scorpions, although recognizable, probably have the most creep out factor (tarantulas being kinda cute).

mtbr member
    I have been seeing a lot of them while doing trail maintenance lately. I think it might have something to do with the moisture in the ground because I haven't seen any at all for the last 5 months, then all of sudden I am seeing them every day.

mtbr member
    One of those "potato bugs" dropped out of a tree onto my buddy during a night ride. It crawled over onto his neck, sucked all the blood out of his skull and burst like a water balloon full of red ink when we squashed it as it left his dessicated corpse.

Anyway, cool find!

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    One of those "potato bugs" dropped out of a tree onto my buddy during a night ride. It crawled over onto his neck, sucked all the blood out of his skull and burst like a water balloon full of red ink when we squashed it as it left his dessicated corpse.

Anyway, cool find!
    Too friggin funny. I like the visual!
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Lord of the Chainrings
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Next time you see one of those kill it! Its an alien from outer space

Silence and Thunder...
    Like Slowrider and OldDan mentioned, sunspiders (aka 'wind scorpion', 'camel spider'...) really take the prize.
    ..especially when you find one in your house, like I did a while back! They're -fast- too!

...although, it might have been a bobcat......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't skid
    LOL, that's too funny. I moved down from Oregon to Santa Barbara 6 years ago. The first time i saw one of those i thought I had discovered some new species of muntant ant. Then I started asking around and all the locals just said "its a potato bug" like it was no big deal.

Potato bugs in Oregon (or at least what I used to call them) are the little grey bugs that roll up into little balls when you mess with them.

Nope, Oregonian here. I've run across scorpions and other weird (to me) creatures that i have recognized, but this one I had no idea on. I've watched more than my share of discovery channel/animal planet etc shows to know a lot, but this one was a new one.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

Fat guy on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    LOL, that's too funny. I moved down from Oregon to Santa Barbara 6 years ago. The first time i saw one of those i thought I had discovered some new species of muntant ant. Then I started asking around and all the locals just said "its a potato bug" like it was no big deal.

Potato bugs in Oregon (or at least what I used to call them) are the little grey bugs that roll up into little balls when you mess with them.
    exactly my definition of what a potato bug was. They must call these that because they are big as one .. sorta heh.

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=xjbebop]Like Slowrider and OldDan mentioned, sunspiders (aka 'wind scorpion', 'camel spider'...) really take the prize.
    ..especially when you find one in your house, like I did a while back! They're -fast- too!

...although, it might have been a bobcat......[/QUOTE]
    xjbebop glad to see your finally coming to grips with the whole Bobcat delema. "I swear I saw a putty cat".
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 12-06-2007 at 07:20 PM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by xjbebop
    ...although, it might have been a bobcat......
    That's EXACTLY what I was thinkin'......

Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    We used to call those little things potato bugs when I was a kid too, but we also called them 'pill bugs'.

Or was it a bobcat.....

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    We used to call those little things potato bugs when I was a kid too, but we also called them 'pill bugs'.

Same here...much more fun than saying 'wood louse'....

No known cure
    Two inches long you say? That could be enough nutrition to make it back to the trailhead.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    LOL. I bet the lowly, despised potato bug would never have dreamed he'd be so famous...
    If not biking, then what?

Over the Hill
    In Nor-Cal we called them Earth Childs. We used to throw them in a glass jar with scorpins to see which one would win....
    Dean

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast