Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2004

What happened to Socalmtb.com?

Not that it's not an existing site anymore, but it seems nobody is on it anymore, at least not the locals who used to. What happened there?

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Not that it's not an existing site anymore, but it seems nobody is on it anymore, at least not the locals who used to. What happened there?
    As far as I'm concerned, it was SOME of the locals who used to post at socalmtb that caused me to lose interest in that site. Next, it was the moderator who used the DELETE button when he shouldn't have, but not when he should have. For me, that site's been dead for several years.

But it was when they changed the forum layout several years ago that was the final nail in the coffin for the site.

banned

Yes, it's pretty much

lame-o nowadays. And, yes, the moderators were heavily biased in favor of "their" favorite locals. Reap what you sow, I guess. Every now and then a good old fashioned (remember the olde days) flame-fest comes up, only to be doused in a matter of 5-10 posts. I guess the "locals" grew up or moved to Colorado.

That's gonna leave a mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    As far as I'm concerned, it was SOME of the locals who used to post at socalmtb that caused me to lose interest in that site. Next, it was the moderator who used the DELETE button when he shouldn't have, but not when he should have. For me, that site's been dead for several years.

But it was when they changed the forum layout several years ago that was the final nail in the coffin for the site.
    Ditto on that.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Glad to Be Alive
    IMO............

it died because of the egos........there was an "elitist group" and everyone else. Some of the guys, you would meet on the trails, were jerks (not all). I think people started leaving because of all the flame wars. I mean it was fun watching it and all, but once the "outcast group" left there was nothing left for people to go there anymore.

Here at MTBR I have found people who just want to ride and have fun. That is why I went to Socal in the first place....and why I left.

OCTOMAN (SoCal)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Wait, I had no idea you were "OCTO"! never made the connection!
    I used to lurk over there all the time, but was not able to post at work.

Great entertainment, and good trail info (except for the whole Fully loop thing).
    I have to add that it was actually the first MTB site I visited and I really learned alot about the sport over there.

banned
    Octo, now you just opened yourself up to a good olde-fashioned e-dog-piling by those same elitist "jerks" that ran that website into the ground. Now, they'll come here and ruin MTBR in the same fashion. Countdown, in days, starting.....now....99, ....
    "here ye, here ye, step right up and get yer coupons right here" :-)

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    You didn't hear this from me....But, the whole place went to hell the moment they let Dusty Buttocks in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    IMO............

it died because of the egos........there was an "elitist group" and everyone else. Some of the guys, you would meet on the trails, were jerks (not all). I think people started leaving because of all the flame wars. I mean it was fun watching it and all, but once the "outcast group" left there was nothing left for people to go there anymore.

Here at MTBR I have found people who just want to ride and have fun. That is why I went to Socal in the first place....and why I left.

OCTOMAN (SoCal)
    And ditto to that.

"Why I oughta..."
    NInjas
    "Welcome to All Things Scottish, if it's not Scottish, it's craaaapp!! Can I help ye?" - Stuart Rankin

stay thirsty, my friends
    I think I started mountain biking after its 'glory days' because every since I can remember socalmtb was pretty crappy. That's one of the reasons I started STR even though some people told me not to. They pointed to socalmtb and said, "there's already a site like that" even though that place had become a dump.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

mtbr member
    May 2004

Well let's see

One moved to Co
    Inkpad moved to Bend, OR
    El Jefe is probably still around hucking whatever
    Caff man doesn't ride much anymore (his words to me) Caff Man NOT ride??????
    I know that leg had to have healed up by now!

What else......

Well, long live mtbr

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

I used to go there but it became too repetitive, with the same crew
    rehashing the same flame wars and inside jokes all day long.

There was nothing to be gained by going over there anymore, except
    if I wanted to bore myself by hearing the same old Sh*t.

I feel sorry for the site, because as a site it was decent. But ultimately,
    the users/people are what make a site, and that crowd was lame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    whew! here i thought it was just me- i also lurked over there but the way those guys acted made me think that maybe mtb'ing was not for me-

thanks to all over here at mtbr.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I liked the trail conditions reports on it

I think that was my favorite feature.

Does anybody know what "happened" to El Jefe aka Jeff Jarvis?

Front Range, Colorado
    That site was so funny at times and other times it just pissed ya off. With all the Ninjas running around and Raccoons with human like hands. Hell there was even some that claimed they saw flocks of Snipes in the 909.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    Octo, now you just opened yourself up to a good olde-fashioned e-dog-piling by those same elitist "jerks" that ran that website into the ground. Now, they'll come here and ruin MTBR in the same fashion. Countdown, in days, starting.....now....99, ....
    "here ye, here ye, step right up and get yer coupons right here" :-)
    nah...Brahma already tried...............I don't care anymore to E-fight with anyone
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    I think that was my favorite feature.

Does anybody know what "happened" to El Jefe aka Jeff Jarvis?
    he got married to a stripper

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i met one the guys ("dr rob") from the site in question on a local trail. he was a real prick.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    he got married to a stripper
    Don't think that lasted very long...

He was big into the moto thing, might have done him in.

banned
    I met Jeff at 24Hrs of Adrenalin race once, he seemed to be a stand up guy. He knew a lot about everyting, which was pretty much the way he was on the board. He has opened up a bar, if I'm not mistaken...and is looking for strippers to employ.

He's still VERY active at SOCALMTB.COM....as you can plainly see here: http://www.socalmtb.com/messages/sug...m#160502013304

jrm
    mtbr member

Oh the flame wars..

especially the laguna wilderness one..
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

_
    Mar 2004
    I think that was the first mt. bike site I also checked out, back in 02'. The trail conditions section was by far the biggest draw for me to the site. I did meet a couple cool dudes on there and one or two of which I still ride with today. The site has seen to gone off the deep end, and I'm glad my friend decided to pursue STR and not let those who told him it would basically fail discourage him.

MTBR and STR have a great thing going, a good sense of community, the thing that seemed to be lacking on Socalmtb. There did seem to be a cast of "all-stars" on Socalmtb and like someone else said, it was entertaining, but then it did get old. I never met El Jefe, but did see him around at a couple video premieres and did attend the protest ride in Aliso.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    I think that was the first mt. bike site I also checked out, back in 02'. The trail conditions section was by far the biggest draw for me to the site. I did meet a couple cool dudes on there and one or two of which I still ride with today. The site has seen to gone off the deep end, and I'm glad my friend decided to pursue STR and not let those who told him it would basically fail discourage him.

MTBR and STR have a great thing going, a good sense of community, the thing that seemed to be lacking on Socalmtb. There did seem to be a cast of "all-stars" on Socalmtb and like someone else said, it was entertaining, but then it did get old. I never met El Jefe, but did see him around at a couple video premieres and did attend the protest ride in Aliso.
    Did he show his butt? He was famous for that.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Hey I recognize that car, that was near queensferry.

Love, Impy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast