Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 64
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,112

    What happened to Socalmtb.com?

    Not that it's not an existing site anymore, but it seems nobody is on it anymore, at least not the locals who used to. What happened there?

  2. #2
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Not that it's not an existing site anymore, but it seems nobody is on it anymore, at least not the locals who used to. What happened there?
    As far as I'm concerned, it was SOME of the locals who used to post at socalmtb that caused me to lose interest in that site. Next, it was the moderator who used the DELETE button when he shouldn't have, but not when he should have. For me, that site's been dead for several years.

    But it was when they changed the forum layout several years ago that was the final nail in the coffin for the site.

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476

    Yes, it's pretty much

    lame-o nowadays. And, yes, the moderators were heavily biased in favor of "their" favorite locals. Reap what you sow, I guess. Every now and then a good old fashioned (remember the olde days) flame-fest comes up, only to be doused in a matter of 5-10 posts. I guess the "locals" grew up or moved to Colorado.

  4. #4
    That's gonna leave a mark
    Reputation: Upchuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    As far as I'm concerned, it was SOME of the locals who used to post at socalmtb that caused me to lose interest in that site. Next, it was the moderator who used the DELETE button when he shouldn't have, but not when he should have. For me, that site's been dead for several years.

    But it was when they changed the forum layout several years ago that was the final nail in the coffin for the site.
    Ditto on that.
    Fat fanatic.

    "Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

  5. #5
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,758
    IMO............

    it died because of the egos........there was an "elitist group" and everyone else. Some of the guys, you would meet on the trails, were jerks (not all). I think people started leaving because of all the flame wars. I mean it was fun watching it and all, but once the "outcast group" left there was nothing left for people to go there anymore.

    Here at MTBR I have found people who just want to ride and have fun. That is why I went to Socal in the first place....and why I left.

    OCTOMAN (SoCal)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: :solar:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    259
    Wait, I had no idea you were "OCTO"! never made the connection!
    I used to lurk over there all the time, but was not able to post at work.

    Great entertainment, and good trail info (except for the whole Fully loop thing).
    I have to add that it was actually the first MTB site I visited and I really learned alot about the sport over there.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476
    Octo, now you just opened yourself up to a good olde-fashioned e-dog-piling by those same elitist "jerks" that ran that website into the ground. Now, they'll come here and ruin MTBR in the same fashion. Countdown, in days, starting.....now....99, ....
    "here ye, here ye, step right up and get yer coupons right here" :-)

  8. #8
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,970
    You didn't hear this from me....But, the whole place went to hell the moment they let Dusty Buttocks in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  9. #9
    Old school BMXer
    Reputation: Blaster1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,678
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    IMO............

    it died because of the egos........there was an "elitist group" and everyone else. Some of the guys, you would meet on the trails, were jerks (not all). I think people started leaving because of all the flame wars. I mean it was fun watching it and all, but once the "outcast group" left there was nothing left for people to go there anymore.

    Here at MTBR I have found people who just want to ride and have fun. That is why I went to Socal in the first place....and why I left.

    OCTOMAN (SoCal)
    And ditto to that.

  10. #10
    "Why I oughta..."
    Reputation: boboso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    207
    NInjas
    "Welcome to All Things Scottish, if it's not Scottish, it's craaaapp!! Can I help ye?" - Stuart Rankin

  11. #11
    stay thirsty, my friends
    Reputation: LBmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,130
    I think I started mountain biking after its 'glory days' because every since I can remember socalmtb was pretty crappy. That's one of the reasons I started STR even though some people told me not to. They pointed to socalmtb and said, "there's already a site like that" even though that place had become a dump.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,112

    Well let's see

    One moved to Co
    Inkpad moved to Bend, OR
    El Jefe is probably still around hucking whatever
    Caff man doesn't ride much anymore (his words to me) Caff Man NOT ride??????
    I know that leg had to have healed up by now!

    What else......

    Well, long live mtbr

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Not that it's not an existing site anymore, but it seems nobody is on it anymore, at least not the locals who used to. What happened there?

    I used to go there but it became too repetitive, with the same crew
    rehashing the same flame wars and inside jokes all day long.

    There was nothing to be gained by going over there anymore, except
    if I wanted to bore myself by hearing the same old Sh*t.

    I feel sorry for the site, because as a site it was decent. But ultimately,
    the users/people are what make a site, and that crowd was lame.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    11
    whew! here i thought it was just me- i also lurked over there but the way those guys acted made me think that maybe mtb'ing was not for me-

    thanks to all over here at mtbr.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,112

    I liked the trail conditions reports on it

    I think that was my favorite feature.

    Does anybody know what "happened" to El Jefe aka Jeff Jarvis?

  16. #16
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,308
    That site was so funny at times and other times it just pissed ya off. With all the Ninjas running around and Raccoons with human like hands. Hell there was even some that claimed they saw flocks of Snipes in the 909.

  17. #17
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    Octo, now you just opened yourself up to a good olde-fashioned e-dog-piling by those same elitist "jerks" that ran that website into the ground. Now, they'll come here and ruin MTBR in the same fashion. Countdown, in days, starting.....now....99, ....
    "here ye, here ye, step right up and get yer coupons right here" :-)
    nah...Brahma already tried...............I don't care anymore to E-fight with anyone
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  18. #18
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,758
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    I think that was my favorite feature.

    Does anybody know what "happened" to El Jefe aka Jeff Jarvis?
    he got married to a stripper
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    79
    i met one the guys ("dr rob") from the site in question on a local trail. he was a real prick.

  20. #20
    Just another FOC'er
    Reputation: .Danno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    he got married to a stripper
    Don't think that lasted very long...

    He was big into the moto thing, might have done him in.

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476
    I met Jeff at 24Hrs of Adrenalin race once, he seemed to be a stand up guy. He knew a lot about everyting, which was pretty much the way he was on the board. He has opened up a bar, if I'm not mistaken...and is looking for strippers to employ.

    He's still VERY active at SOCALMTB.COM....as you can plainly see here: http://www.socalmtb.com/messages/sug...m#160502013304

  22. #22
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,624

    Oh the flame wars..

    especially the laguna wilderness one..

  23. #23
    _
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    782
    I think that was the first mt. bike site I also checked out, back in 02'. The trail conditions section was by far the biggest draw for me to the site. I did meet a couple cool dudes on there and one or two of which I still ride with today. The site has seen to gone off the deep end, and I'm glad my friend decided to pursue STR and not let those who told him it would basically fail discourage him.

    MTBR and STR have a great thing going, a good sense of community, the thing that seemed to be lacking on Socalmtb. There did seem to be a cast of "all-stars" on Socalmtb and like someone else said, it was entertaining, but then it did get old. I never met El Jefe, but did see him around at a couple video premieres and did attend the protest ride in Aliso.

  24. #24
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,308
    Quote Originally Posted by bdee
    I think that was the first mt. bike site I also checked out, back in 02'. The trail conditions section was by far the biggest draw for me to the site. I did meet a couple cool dudes on there and one or two of which I still ride with today. The site has seen to gone off the deep end, and I'm glad my friend decided to pursue STR and not let those who told him it would basically fail discourage him.

    MTBR and STR have a great thing going, a good sense of community, the thing that seemed to be lacking on Socalmtb. There did seem to be a cast of "all-stars" on Socalmtb and like someone else said, it was entertaining, but then it did get old. I never met El Jefe, but did see him around at a couple video premieres and did attend the protest ride in Aliso.
    Did he show his butt? He was famous for that.

  25. #25
    pewpewpew Moderator
    Reputation: Impy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,133
    Hey I recognize that car, that was near queensferry.

    Love, Impy

  26. #26
    Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Reputation: SilverSpot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    855
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    He was big into the moto thing, might have done him in.
    I'm just sayin'....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MCM# 2007.1

  27. #27
    Believer in Darwin
    Reputation: papisimo11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    273
    Look I'll do my best Brahma impersonation....
    "That is a neat pic of his Jefeness, but this thread is lame. You guys sound like a bunch of winers. Stop crying..."
    Back to self.
    I thought the site was vicious, yet very fun at the same time. I met some really nice guys from that site, many who frequent here and I ride with regularly.
    paz afuera

  28. #28
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,758
    Quote Originally Posted by papisimo11
    Look I'll do my best Brahma impersonation....
    "That is a neat pic of his Jefeness, but this thread is lame. You guys sound like a bunch of winers. Stop crying..."
    Back to self.
    I thought the site was vicious, yet very fun at the same time. I met some really nice guys from that site, many who frequent here and I ride with regularly.
    paz afuera
    funny funny
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  29. #29
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476

    There were other

    "personalities" (besides HLD) at that website, weren't there? Bueller, anyone?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,112

    I had one great ride with them

    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    IMO............

    it died because of the egos........there was an "elitist group" and everyone else. Some of the guys, you would meet on the trails, were jerks (not all). I think people started leaving because of all the flame wars. I mean it was fun watching it and all, but once the "outcast group" left there was nothing left for people to go there anymore.

    Here at MTBR I have found people who just want to ride and have fun. That is why I went to Socal in the first place....and why I left.

    OCTOMAN (SoCal)
    Years ago though. The only people I recall was Endo Verendo, some couple from San Diego, but there were about 12 of us. We shuttled up to top of some trail in Palm Springs and had a really good ride. About right after we finished, the skies opened up. I still remember the drive back to OC sucked too!

    This was before I moved to Bosie, ID

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Did he show his butt? He was famous for that.
    No, but he crashed hard in front of everyone, taco-ed his wheel and got hurt....

    and he was MORE famous for THAT!


    Socal needed more and better Moderators - flaming etc. can be entertaining, but it got out of hand, good people bailed, lame people stayed and it fell apart - things change

    oh, and Jiffy-Pop did not marry the stripper.....

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Namlak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    134
    The site was the Phil Hendrie Show of websites - non-sensical and annoying unless you "got it", then it was funny as hell to sit back and watch.

  33. #33
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,758
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    No,

    oh, and Jiffy-Pop did not marry the stripper.....
    so he never married that stripper??? did he marry
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  34. #34
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,371
    Once I left the whole place fell apart.

  35. #35
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476

    Whoa, back up the 6 VPPP spot....

    Yo, smelly-gloved one, I thought you said (on copious ocassions), and I quote, "You can check out, but never leave." WTF?

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    229

    Papoose

    Quote Originally Posted by papisimo11
    Look I'll do my best Brahma impersonation....
    "That is a neat pic of his Jefeness, but this thread is lame. You guys sound like a bunch of winers. Stop crying..."
    Back to self.
    I thought the site was vicious, yet very fun at the same time. I met some really nice guys from that site, many who frequent here and I ride with regularly.
    paz afuera
    That sounds EXACTLY like me. Good job dude!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    197
    No good riders from that site. That was the main problem.

  38. #38
    Samsonite Tester
    Reputation: Evel Knievel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by boboso
    NInjas
    A couple of them are ninjas , true . They mostly can be found on FooRiders these days.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

    There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14



  39. #39
    Samsonite Tester
    Reputation: Evel Knievel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,993
    Quote Originally Posted by r-kelly
    No good riders from that site. That was the main problem.
    Thats why you never won V-landers hill climb challenge .
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

    There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14



  40. #40
    Lindsay
    Reputation: Once_Upon_A_Time's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    261

    They should shut it down completely.

    That site is truly a disgrace from day 1. It's a totally useless site, and that goes true for the handful of websites attempting to duplicate it.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pain Freak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    754
    I was a regular on the site along with a few others that have posted here to this thread. Back in it's day it was a great site. True, it had it's problems, but I got to meet a lot of people I still ride with today. Steve got tired of trying to make everyone happy and the truth is he started it to try to make a little money out of it, but it never worked out.Also the moderators were not even handed and that caused some problems. And yes, there were the elitest groups, but even they were good people. Some of the flame wars and jokes that went on over there were great.
    It was also a good place to join in on a ride and get up to date information. I was sorry to see it go, but when the format changed and the lack of attention happened, it was pretty much doomed.

    I started going to the site in 2000, but I don't think I posted till 01 or 02.

    R.I.P. SoCalMTB
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4
    That site freakin' rocked. You could flame, ride and hitch with anyone there.

    It is where I got my passion to ride and maintain trails and sadly, it is junk now.

    BTW, PF, thanks for the fork... still riding that bastage to this day.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    he got married to a stripper
    Jiffy married and divorced the stripper and, despite his faults (as we all have) is a stand up guy. He is now off to the world of business... God help our souls.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    Thats why you never won V-landers hill climb challenge .
    No...I am not OLD enough to win one of those.

  45. #45
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,758
    Quote Originally Posted by g curtis
    Jiffy married and divorced the stripper and, despite his faults (as we all have) is a stand up guy. He is now off to the world of business... God help our souls.
    I thought he was a good guy
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 06-18-2006 at 01:29 PM.
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    993
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I thought he was a good guy
    yea, and he thought the world of you too

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18
    Jefe here. I had a break-up with the stripper, but I still roll around with her once in a while. I quit working for UCI to dedicate all of my time to drinking....I mean the bar business. I'm now opening a place in Palm Springs this week called the Sahara Lounge. I have my moto and I have my mtb, both neglected for some time, but once the bar opens, I'll have more time for both. Money for either? Well, that depends on how the bar does. I do look forward to getting back on the trails, and if any of you are in Palm Springs, (or Dana Point where I have my other residence), shoot me an email. Jarvis.Jeff@gmail.com

    Hey Grant, you ever check your messages? I think we're overdue for a beer.

    Mac, shoot me an email brah.

  48. #48
    Just another FOC'er
    Reputation: .Danno.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by r-kelly
    No...I am not OLD enough to win one of those.
    OUCH!


    PS: Jeff, good to see you're still alive and kick'n.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: drumstix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,291
    Quote Originally Posted by r-kelly
    No...I am not OLD enough to win one of those.


    Oddly enough, most of the girls r-kelly (the real r-kelly) dates say the same thing!
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

  50. #50
    wawe member
    Reputation: Black Bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    897
    OK, all this talk about the old bored, let's bring it back... Best Beer VI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •