mtbr member

what good LBS you trust in san diego?

looking for a good reliable local bike shop that know what their doing and i can trust w/ my bike, any suggestions? i live by balboa park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifouiripilay
    looking for a good reliable local bike shop that know what their doing and i can trust w/ my bike, any suggestions? i live by balboa park
    i like cal coast cycles on adams/30th. they work for reasonable cost and are quick.
    edit: pricey on parts.

what bad shop experience(s) have you had?

better to learn to do your own wrenching, especially for dealing with shifting adjustment. new cables stretch requiring readjustment and is a hassle to leave a bike at a shop when it can be fixed in 2 seconds. shifting can go out of adjustment easy for no apparent reason. shifting that works right in the shop may not be perfect on the road/trail. same with brakes. shops are good for the major stuff, headsets, forks, wheel builds... even then, you can do the stuff at home fairly easily and cheaply. most tools will cost you about as much as a visit or two to the shop.

mtbr member
    I agree with Drunkle. Its never too late to start investing in tools. Most of the shops in SD are honest decent shops, but seem to charge waaay to much for wrenching.

Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy a repair stand and a nice set of alen wrenches, a chain whip, and a shimano casset tool. All that stuff could pay for itself before you know it.

mtbr member
    thanks... how did you guys learn? just reading books. ..

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm How about AAB

Adams Ave bikes at Hamilton and Adams.
    http://aabikes.net

SS, track, road, mtn and has factor.

Tonight, look for the HIDs through Florida and Balboa Park, that's us. Around 7:45ish you may see us around Morley/velodrome. CHARGE UP/HOOK UP.

Red Beard

PS It may be a kinda fast SS ride. Depending on your abilities. But the shop is awesome!

mtbr member
    bikes are really simple machines. and mostly, it was a matter of necessity; as a kid, couldn't afford the shop, got ripped off too often so i dont generally trust mechanics, didn't want to hassle going to a shop, didn't like the cool guy bike pro attitude lots of shops are overstocked with. so... find the right size tool and start fiddling around. mostly, when making a change, remember what you're doing so that you can put it back the way it was. eg., counting the turns of a screw, what direction you turned it... never force things, never leave parts scattered about...

btw, lots of mechanics started off this way. over time and with experience, they learned how to troubleshoot and repair. anyone can do it if you have the patience and desire. a friend of mine is an office manager with little patience and less mechanical ability. but, i got him doing some basic chores such as tire changes, part changes, gear setup, etc.

there are a bunch of resources online, this forum, sheldonbrown.com, many many others. a book might be nice to have, but i dont need em and dont know which to recommend. plus they seem tedious and boring compared to jumping in and learning as you go. the online resources are at the least free and at best well organized, to the point and full of good advice.

what is your current problem, anyway?

mtbr member
    I started with a book. Also Park Tool.com has pretty good resources. Also check out Shimano and SRAM websites for their user manuals/installation instructions. Lastly, if you search the forums here, you can learn just about anything.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Bicycle Warehouse in Pacific Beach is recommended.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Bicycle Warehouse, both in Chula Vista and PB are excellent, i've gotten great service in both shops. I prefer Chula Vista, it is a newer, cleaner, brighter store, and i've gotten the best service there. Black Mountain and Beyond both have good stuff, but i'e never gotten good service there (obviously at Beyond).

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005

Bike Empire in Poway

Bike Empire in Poway is a great small LBS. They are honest, efficient, and prices are for
    labor are great. They have serviced and helped me out countless times when I was in a pinch for time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    NORTH OF THE BORDER on Mira Mesa and Pacific Heights.
    (not easy to find but great guys)
    by far and away the most knowledgeable and experienced.
    the same guys that run it everyday, own it.
    2 employees, kick-ass service.
    not alot of inventory in the shop although they can get anything needed overnight.
    Unlike most other bike shops in San Diego, they do not have employees with cocky attitudes who work for about 3 months before the get fired or move on to another shop.
    B&L in solana beach is good too, but it is mostly a roadie/tri shop. very friendly and helpful

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Bike Empire may be good for service, but the last time I was in there they had no inventory? Lots of empty bike space, maybe they were in the middle of cleaning house.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rrhank
    NORTH OF THE BORDER on Mira Mesa and Pacific Heights.
    (not easy to find but great guys)
    by far and away the most knowledgeable and experienced.
    the same guys that run it everyday, own it.
    2 employees, kick-ass service.
    not alot of inventory in the shop although they can get anything needed overnight.
    Unlike most other bike shops in San Diego, they do not have employees with cocky attitudes who work for about 3 months before the get fired or move on to another shop.
    B&L in solana beach is good too, but it is mostly a roadie/tri shop. very friendly and helpful

True, they have great wrench skills.

mtbr member
    Have had good experience with Bicycle Warehouse in Rose Canyon. Have good deals and some of them really know their stuff. But their tuneup/wrenching prices are through the roof. Like $50 for a tuneup. Way too much.

mtbr member

bike wrenchin'

I agree with drunkle.Get a bike stand if for only cleaning your bike.A set of metric allen wrenches,etc.Get a bike repair/matainace book or look it up on-line,parktool.com.You will learn to trust yourself rather than the shop.And save a bundel of time and money.

mtbr member
    i wish i had a bike stand...click click...

bah. Santa Cruz didnt give me anything i wanted this year.