2 minutes turkish

What To Do If You Encounter A Mountain Lion

Last edited by locustfist; 03-20-2008 at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Protect your neck! Do not turn your back to the lion and run, stand tall, use your bike as a shield, and make loud noises! Pepper spray or a 9mm pistol, helps as well. J/K with the 9mm.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Remember that they ARE cats after all and may be frightened by many of the same things that would scare a smaller cat. Oliver is right - big noises, scary motions are recommended.

JMH

just along for the ride
    Intimidation works, get big, use your bike as a shield/weapon, yell, kick rocks, you know go nuts they don't like bad meat

jej
    Jay The Hill
    May 2007
    I ran twice in a mountain lion on San Juan trail and I didn't do anything then the cats walk away. I think most of the time, the mountain lion avoid any contact with human if they are not scared, they can also continue their activity, just wait and let them enough space so they can continue without feeling frightened. If they are agressive, it smells bad for you but yes do whatever the signs says: stand tall, don't turn back to the lion, don't run, stay calm, if it attacks, fight back.
    Anyway, even if you encounter a mountain lion, it's really unlikely to be attacked, much less than to be hit by a lightning and much less than to have a car crash when you're on the phone and drink a coffee or to get a cancer...

just along for the ride
    My encounter was at 20 mph going into a tight hairpin, it was walking right at me just off the trail in the creek bed below the turn. It turned and went up the opposite hill minute it saw me enter the turn. It moved very fast. Must of thought I had a bead on it. I just stopped and watch it run. Awesome creature, hate to have to deal with a hungry one thou...

Geritol Power
    Just this week I saw an episode of "Surviving the Attack" on Discovery about the large male cougar at Whiting Ranch last year that ate one male MTBer and the next day attacked a female on a bike. Her friend was with her and fought the cat off. It mangled her neck and face pretty bad but she is alive.

They said the cat had something gone wrong in it's head to attack people. Ya think? They only found the guy's foot and a shoe near his bike

Not likely to happen very often to full sized humans thankfully. Don't let the kids wander off in Lion country though.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    Just this week I saw an episode of "Surviving the Attack" on Discovery about the large male cougar at Whiting Ranch last year that ate one male MTBer and the next day attacked a female on a bike. Her friend was with her and fought the cat off. It mangled her neck and face pretty bad but she is alive.

They said the cat had something gone wrong in it's head to attack people. Ya think? They only found the guy's foot and a shoe near his bike

Not likely to happen very often to full sized humans thankfully. Don't let the kids wander off in Lion country though.

get the story correctly right.....but yes he was killed
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My most memorable encounter (I've had 3) was in the Kings Canyon area in the sequoias. Going slow up a climb, I reached the crest, and about 20' away down the other side and out of site until the crest was a large mountain lion, back legs on one side of the double-track, front legs on the other. I stopped at the top in a trackstand, standing up as tall as I could, and we had a stare-down for what seemed like forever, but was probably only ten seconds or so. Then the cat bounded on up the hill and off the trail. I was alone...
    http://www.bioniconusa.com - Bionicon USA
    http://otbmbc.com - Over the Bars MTB Club
    http://corbamtb.com - CORBA

mtbr member
    It took me a second to remember Mark Reynold's name, and I feel bad for it. Mark was the cyclist attacked and killed in Whiting Ranch, apparently from behind by a hungry, stalking cougar -- the same one that later attacked Anne Hjelle (sp?) -- while he was riding alone. Anne was riding with Debbie Nichols, who helped fight off the cat. If I remember right, both were riders out of the OC Trail Angels group. Gnarly, bad time.

The sign in the image that started this thread, however, is hilarious.