Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    242

    What are Cookies and Hectic like compared to J-Drop?

    I'm talking about the trails that drop off of Mulholland near Encino/Top of Sullivan ridge.

    I haven't seen many videos and not a lot of people I know ride them.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    129
    I'm not sure how to compare them, but you might say they are all in the same ball park, difficulty wise. Neither has as many fast blind runs up to switchbacks as J-drop which I find the most difficult. Both have steep loose (baseball size?) rock strewn sections at the end which are probably the biggest 'hazard', and probably considered a little more difficult. Cookies is the the most challenging of the two, neither as challenging/steep as Spanker IMO. There's a lot of hiker traffic on Hectic so off hours are best.

    Message me if you want to roll with someone... I have free schedule from Friday on.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GGR Girl Wendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    176
    JDROP was worked on a long time ago...There is only 1 rocky section now and of course the nasty, tight couple of steep, off camber switch backs towards the bottom. Be careful, sometimes riders get ticketed there...its technically not a legal trail. I have heard sometimes the rangers hang at the bottom waiting for riders.

    Hectic is shorter than cookies and I think the steepness and ruts are way more than anything in the area. Since we haven't had any rain, the conditions will be much looser than normal too.

    Have fun, be careful....
    GGR Girl Wendy E

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robncircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    336

    Re: What are Cookies and Hectic like compared to J-Drop?

    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    I'm not sure how to compare them, but you might say they are all in the same ball park, difficulty wise. Neither has as many fast blind runs up to switchbacks as J-drop which I find the most difficult. Both have steep loose (baseball size?) rock strewn sections at the end which are probably the biggest 'hazard', and probably considered a little more difficult. Cookies is the the most challenging of the two, neither as challenging/steep as Spanker IMO. There's a lot of hiker traffic on Hectic so off hours are best.

    Message me if you want to roll with someone... I have free schedule from Friday on.
    Where is Spanker?

    Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    129
    It drops from Mandeville FR down to Sullivan Cyn. It's also known as Samarai I believe.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EatsDirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    Hectic is shorter than cookies and I think the steepness and ruts are way more than anything in the area. Since we haven't had any rain, the conditions will be much looser than normal too.
    Cookies is actually shorter by time/elevation/length and probably steeper by a bit.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robncircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    336

    Re: What are Cookies and Hectic like compared to J-Drop?

    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    It drops from Mandeville FR down to Sullivan Cyn. It's also known as Samarai I believe.
    Thanks.

    Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk 2

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,904

    What are Cookies and Hectic like compared to J-Drop?

    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by GGR Girl Wendy View Post
    JDROP was worked on a long time ago...There is only 1 rocky section now and of course the nasty, tight couple of steep, off camber switch backs towards the bottom. Be careful, sometimes riders get ticketed there...its technically not a legal trail. I have heard sometimes the rangers hang at the bottom waiting for riders.

    Hectic is shorter than cookies and I think the steepness and ruts are way more than anything in the area. Since we haven't had any rain, the conditions will be much looser than normal too.

    Have fun, be careful....
    Thanks! I only ride J-drop in the mornings during the week to avoid running into hikers/rangers.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    998
    There are fewer snakes on jdrop.
    nothing witty here...

  11. #11
    Warrior's Society
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    5,221
    JDrop was dumbed down significantly last year....gone are this big drops/step downs and man eating ruts. Been riding it on the single speed the last few times....would not have done that in its previous condition.
    Last edited by mtnbikej; 07-24-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

  12. #12
    official eMpTyBRain
    Reputation: Hawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,982
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s View Post
    There are fewer snakes on jdrop.
    Human snakes or animal snakes?

    Both are dangerous and should be avoided at all costs!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    242
    I've heard that Spanker/Samurai is better built out than First Crack? (obviously still very steep)

    Any truth to this from someone that has ridden it?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    242
    Did a walk through on Samurai; there are sections that are great but right now its too techy for me. Very loose and steep in sections. Hopefully if we get some rain this fall there will be time to shape it a bit better.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    51
    Was just considering Hectic recently instead of caballero down to reseda... but reading the above I may pass... I don't like loose baseball size rocks...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robncircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    336

    Re: What are Cookies and Hectic like compared to J-Drop?

    Quote Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
    Was just considering Hectic recently instead of caballero down to reseda... but reading the above I may pass... I don't like loose baseball size rocks...
    It's not that bad. Better way down than caballero

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by robncircus View Post
    It's not that bad. Better way down than caballero

    THANKS... Im nervous that your avatar has a guy in a full face helmet... I ride a hard tail...

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: robncircus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by LosAngeles View Post
    THANKS... Im nervous that your avatar has a guy in a full face helmet... I ride a hard tail...
    Haha that's just from a day learning to jump. No need to wear anything other than normal gear on Hectic/Cookies.

Similar Threads

  1. Girl Scout cookies
    By djork in forum Off Camber (off topic)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-07-2014, 08:09 PM
  2. OT Tracking cookies
    By UncleTrail in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 12:15 PM
  3. Chain drop drop off and misalignment a norm?
    By boardrider02 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-03-2012, 02:20 PM
  4. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-23-2011, 08:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •