TCB
    mtbr member

What are the conditions like at Lake Morena

I am thinking of riding Lake Morena this weekend, the temps should be in the 70ís so it should be a good time to go.
    Are the trails in good shape or are they all sandy, I plan to do the normal rout, start at the bottom of the Kernan, go up the pavement to the Espinosa trail, down Spur Meadow to Wrangler to Gunslinger and down the Kernan.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

ICPAYDIRT

Everything South Of The 8 Freeway Is Closed

From what I understand, everything south of the 8 freeway out there is closed due to EXTREME fire danger. Usually when they do that they close the gate so there is no access. They did this before the recent Pine Valley fire and the rangers say that they've never seen it drier than it is now and they are concerned because we haven't even had the Santa Ana winds yet. If we get some rain they will reopen but that may not be for awhile. That said, even if the trails were open, I don't believe they've reopened the trails south of Bronco Peak which has been closed for over a year now due to the Horse Fire. That would include Gunslinger and Wrangler south of the Bronco Peak trail. I heard they are going to try to reopen that area in January. The good news about the Horse Fire closure was it forced me to find a new route and I'm so glad I did. Super fun ride is Espinosa/SpurMeadow/up Bobcat/down SodBuster/up Corral/down Sidewinder(two ways to go down, maybe go down twice!)/back up Corral again to Wrangler/go left to FourCorners/down Kernan Cycle Trail! You won't be sorry! Here's a link to a trail map:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/re...orralmap.shtml
    Hopefully we'll get some rain and they'll lower the fire danger but no point in going out there right now. There's still the always great Noble and maybe very little traffic around Kitchen Creek.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Even if it weren't closed, I would not go until after our next wet season. The trails are deep in duffy dusty dirt, half of Spur was obliterated back in '05 to fight the Horse fire (make a "fire break"). Wrangler is only 1/2 opened when I was there (must be in spring earlier this year). Truly sad since I think it is one of the BEST XC riding locations in lowsocal. So we ride the heck out of Noble/Laguna and Cuyamaca until Morena is back on line.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Last time I was there on the motos (around the time they opened up a big section for the first time since the horsethief fire about 6 months ago) it was super soft. We haven't gotten hardly any rain since then so I can only imagine how it is now.