Waiting to exhale.

What can I do to keep trails open?

Dudes,
    Can someone point me in the right direction? I want to know how to find out what the government of california thinks about mtbrs and trail access. Can someone explain to me how the process works and why/how is land voted illegal for bikers? I have never voted for stuff because nothing really got my attention. I hear some broad named barbera boxer wants to make a bunch of trails illegal to bikers. What can I do? What can we do?

Is IMBA really a good thing? Do they help? The reason I ask is, I hear people bad mouth IMBA quite often. When I hear of trails being closed it makes me feel helpless, I never felt I could make a difference. Believe it or not since I turned 18 every year I vote to legalize MJ.... it isn't happening. Thats another reason I feel voting does not work.
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

hispanic mechanic

Where you at?

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    Dudes,
    Can someone point me in the right direction? I want to know how to find out what the government of california thinks about mtbrs and trail access. Can someone explain to me how the process works and why/how is land voted illegal for bikers? I have never voted for stuff because nothing really got my attention. I hear some broad named barbera boxer wants to make a bunch of trails illegal to bikers. What can I do? What can we do?

Is IMBA really a good thing? Do they help? The reason I ask is, I hear people bad mouth IMBA quite often. When I hear of trails being closed it makes me feel helpless, I never felt I could make a difference. Believe it or not since I turned 18 every year I vote to legalize MJ.... it isn't happening. Thats another reason I feel voting does not work.
    In my humble opinion, IMBA is a great organization, but still a political one. What I mean is, they are the moderate arm of bike access. I am a member, and will continue to be. However, they're the first to tell you that membership and active participation in your local trail access group is the most direct way to keep trails open. Kinda like the "think globally, act locally'' thing the hippies are always going on about. Get out and do trailwork whenever possible, and try and change the opposition's mind about us. Show 'em we're not all a bunch of 4$$holes who blast past 'em with no warning when they're out hiking. Show 'em we're concerned with the conservation of nature, and maybe the guys who ride horses and hike (who, consequently have a lot more money than us) will start thinking of us as allies against the encroaching development juggernaut.
    There's also a group called MTB Access ( www.mtbaccess.com ) who does a lot of direct-effect access.
    Basically, get involved. While I still think it's important to voice your opinion with your vote, I feel it's more important to lead by example, and let the equestrians and hikers know we're out to accomplish stuff, too.

the los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

stay thirsty, my friends
    Make sure to be a good diplomat . . . always be friendly to anybody you see while riding. ESPECIALLY hikers and horseback riders.

Do local trail work. Some good advice here: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/foru...opic.php?t=206

Become a member of the IMBA. They are the biggest unified political voice (and most powerful) of mtb'ers.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown