mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Westridge Trail at Snow Summit

I was up at Big Bear for the opening day of Westridge. It's considered an 'intermediate' trail, but it's definitely more advanced than that!

Of the three runs at Summit, this is the longest and most 'flowy'. It starts with a killer curved wooden bridge, into a steep right handed berm, followed by two advanced-level jumps. The rest of the way down is filled with berm, after berm, after berm!

I hope you enjoy the vid!

mtbr member
    Looks like a fun & flowy trail, is it the video or are all the jumps tabletops where you can take them at whatever speed you like?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrider View Post
    Looks like a fun & flowy trail, is it the video or are all the jumps tabletops where you can take them at whatever speed you like?
    They are tabletops, but with very steep lip, so it would be pretty tough to roll them at speed...

Professional Troll
    Nah, it's definitely intermediate. Those jumps are pretty small. Fun trail though. It just needs those corners packed down more.

mtbr member
    Nice, been waiting for someone to post a vid of the new trail! Yea, looks fun! The wife and I be checking it out tomorrow!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That trail looks like fun for the whole family. SS has it's sh*t together!
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Team Fearless Descender
    Good to know where you are in the pecking order, after 25 years on the bike. Looks like I'm "intermediate", except for that tall bridge, don't have much experience with man-mades like that. And, I guess I wouldn't want to be chased down this one by "advanced" riders!

But, I could sure see my second or third time down this one getting more and more fun! Great video!
    Last edited by El Salt; 07-07-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Nah, it's definitely intermediate...
    agreed. IMO, Cruiser and Miracle Mile are also intermediate runs at best...

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    agreed. IMO, Cruiser and Miracle Mile are also intermediate runs at best...
    I don't think I'd agree with that. Maybe the first 2 weekends that was the case. But those trails are getting REALLY beat up. A few more weeks and it will be northstar status. Thus a lot of those turns are getting to be a little tricky and some sections are becoming non-trivial. Darkblue/light black :P

I'm starting to worry that these trails are just a way to boost their valuation before they sell the resort. At the current pace of maintenance these trails are NOWHERE near sustainable. Another month or 2 of riding with the current lack of maintenance and they will barely be rideable except for the most skilled riders. If they can't maintain 2 trails how are they going to maintain an entire bike park?

Pro Crastinator
    i was there just the other day. i was on a 5" bike and can't think of a single place where a bigger bike would have been better...

but i agree with all the other points you bring...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Another month or 2 of riding with the current lack of maintenance and they will barely be rideable except for the most skilled riders.
    Isn't that exactly what we want to happen? Maybe it's just me but I like some natural newbproofing and it would be boring if it looked exactly the same every time I drove up there.

In all seriousness, the reason they've gotten so much more hacked up lately is that the crew was focusing on completing the Westridge trail to reduce the traffic on all of the trails so that all 3 would be easier to maintain. That's what a couple crew members told me on the lift ride up.
    And yeah, they are definitely Intermediate. If you want expert trails you have to venture off the property and not be scared of a little pedaling.

Beer Please!
    Whoooooops!

lol.

Cool video!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIaco290 View Post
    ..the crew was focusing on completing the Westridge trail to reduce the traffic on all of the trails so that all 3 would be easier to maintain. That's what a couple crew members told me on the lift ride up...
    i talked to a few higher ups, and was told that all new building is on hold. the forest service(or whom ever the powers that be are) have halted all building because they have already reached their allotted amount of new trail building. the construction on some of the already existing trails have also been counted into what they were allowed. they are building nothing now...

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    i talked to a few higher ups, and was told that all new building is on hold. the forest service(or whom ever the powers that be are) have halted all building because they have already reached their allotted amount of new trail building. the construction on some of the already existing trails have also been counted into what they were allowed. they are building nothing now...
    Are you kidding me? They've been saying they have grand plans for at least half a dozen trails by the end of THIS season? Did they already f*ck this up after only 1 month?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    If I follow this thread, and the news is that just these three are it, but that they are maintaining the 3 decently, I think I'll still make the 2-3 hr. hump up from Diego for an overnight.
    Sounds like it would be worth it to me, but then again, I don't have extreme expectations these days. For anything.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    If I follow this thread, and the news is that just these three are it, but that they are maintaining the 3 decently...
    if by "decently" you actually mean "not at all", then absolutely...

but yes, it's still worth the drive to have lift access dh all day...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Whoooooops!

lol.

Cool video!
    Glad you enjoyed it!