Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Westridge Singletrack......1/2 gone!

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  burner 
#1 ·
The bulldozers were out yesterday and today clearing out the singletrack that parallels the Westridge Fire Road (apparently for fire season). What a bummer............it was so much fun and close to home. There still is half of it yet to be touched, so westsiders take advantage it tonight if you can. I take it that it'll all be leveled by weeks end. Sullivan Ridge may be next..........

#5 ·
I rode it yesterday and today. They're killing it a little bit at a time. It should be completely gone by the weekend. And yes, the ranger told us they plan to clear several fire breaks, which I took to mean Sully Ridge among others.

Enjoy them while you can, but no worries...the trail will be back...in about two years. :skep:

Westridge Singletrack: R.I.P.

Attachments

#10 ·
Impy said:
omigod - i am in shock.

it was already a natural firebreak, jeez.
There was nothing natural about it. All of the singletracks next to our beloved fire roads are very old fire breaks. They were made by tractors, and now they're being maintained by tractors. Change is not a bad thing. Usually, we rely on rain to change our trails, this year it's tractors!

New lines will be burned in by bikes and hikers within a couple months. I like new lines! Faster lines! Let's all grab a shovel and build doubles ALL THE WAY DOWN WESTRIDGE!

#11 ·
Dusty Bottoms said:
There was nothing natural about it. All of the singletracks next to our beloved fire roads are very old fire breaks. They were made by tractors, and now they're being maintained by tractors. Change is not a bad thing. Usually, we rely on rain to change our trails, this year it's tractors!

New lines will be burned in by bikes and hikers within a couple months. I like new lines! Faster lines! Let's all grab a shovel and build doubles ALL THE WAY DOWN WESTRIDGE!
Thanks for posting Dusty! Your opinion is always welcomed! Yay, exclamations demonstrate emotion and excitement!

#21 ·
Dusty Bottoms said:

I still think building a "firebreak" next to a wide fireroad doesn't make much sense at all. And the ridgeline up there is so wide - on a satellite map it dwarfs the road. Doesn't make any sense at all.

For what it's worth, I don't do doubles, and it was the short steep climbs on WR ST that I liked climbing on my SS. So making something FASTER! and JUMPING! doesn't excite me, but chewing up a trail so it is not-climbable bums me out.

At least we still have jedi, right? Right? :eek:

#24 ·
Impy said:
I still think building a "firebreak" next to a wide fireroad doesn't make much sense at all. And the ridgeline up there is so wide - on a satellite map it dwarfs the road. Doesn't make any sense at all.

For what it's worth, I don't do doubles, and it was the short steep climbs on WR ST that I liked climbing on my SS. So making something FASTER! and JUMPING! doesn't excite me, but chewing up a trail so it is not-climbable bums me out.

At least we still have jedi, right? Right? :eek:
I hear ya. Unfortunately for us, an effective fire break is 100 feet wide. The roads are used to get the fire crews in. The breaks are actually used to combat the fire.

I know this is all a bummer right now, but the ST's WILL be back. It'll take a couple months of riding and hiking, but it'll happen. Sulli canyon has been scraped several times throughout the years, and it always returns to fun ST.

#25 ·
Dusty Bottoms said:
I hear ya. Unfortunately for us, an effective fire break is 100 feet wide. The roads are used to get the fire crews in. The breaks are actually used to combat the fire
Well that makes more sense. Smarty pants.

Dusty Bottoms said:
I know this is all a bummer right now, but the ST's WILL be back. It'll take a couple months of riding and hiking, but it'll happen. Sulli canyon has been scraped several times throughout the years, and it always returns to fun ST.
Ya you are right - the trails do come back. I'm just getting old and cranky and resistant to change. :prft:

#26 ·
That sucks. I was up there yesterday just taking a walk with a friend in town visting and my jaw dropped at the sight and sound of the bulldozer. From what I saw, Westridge single is completely ruined. What a shame. I really don't see why the fire road isn't adequate enough for the fire crews that they need to level the single track too. It's stupid. And I don't doubt sullivan is next. WTF! Do hikers, bikers, and other users have no say? Probably not. Backbone is going to be the only good single track left up there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.