Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Team Fearless Descender

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Western SM Mtns on Fire

I am looking for a fire map, but from what I gather the Sycamore Cyn area is burning. Reports as of 11am are saying area south west of Potrero Rd. to PCH are being evacuated. We where riding there recently and the brush and grasses looked like what we've traditionally seen in August and September - very dry.

NBC News Coverage
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Team Fearless Descender
    Yerba Buena road to Los Posas road along PCH may be closed at any moment - KNX1070 news.

Stuff

mtbr member
    I'm keeping my eye on this map: Map: Southern California fires - latimes.com
    buzzes like a fridge

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    I'm keeping my eye on this map: Map: Southern California fires - latimes.com
    Thanks "Zero", good map. Looks like things are just to the NW of Sycamore Cyn proper.

Stuff

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Almost 0% humidity in May.. Dos vientos evacuated

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Western SM Mtns on Fire

Fire just jumped Ranch Center road and is headed down Wood Canyon rd in Pt. Mugu SP. Hope the winds turn quick!

mtbr member
    crap

4:17 p.m.: The fire is now burning in Wood Canyon in Point Mugu State Park.
    buzzes like a fridge

Team Fearless Descender
    4:06 p.m.: The fire is moving unchecked into Sycamore Canyon, but more air tankers are on their way.

Ventura County Star

Stuff

b a n n e d
    Yeah, this is bad . . . over 6500 acres and 0% containment according to the news I'm watching. Winds have not yet turned to help.

Sycamore trails are definitely in jeopardy if not already on fire.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

It's closer to 9000

Supposed to be windy and hot as hell again tomorrow. Hope it doesn't hop the 101 somehow

So Cal Slayin'
    Real bummer.. Was planning to ride there tomorrow too. Hopefully they can get it contained and keep it from threatening any more homes. I hope the fire hasn't destroyed my favorite local trails too much..

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilverZ View Post
    Real bummer.. Was planning to ride there tomorrow too. Hopefully they can get it contained and keep it from threatening any more homes. I hope the fire hasn't destroyed my favorite local trails too much..
    Been wondering about you out there . . . hope its not too close to your place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Looks like the fire burned down Sycamore Canyon to PCH and is now burning mostly south. I'll bet most if not all trails have been burned. It'll look like hell for a while, but the brush is adapted to fire and will come back remarkably quickly. My local trails in Palo Comado and Cheeseboro burned years ago, and the bushes were pretty much back to normal in a few years. For the trails, the biggest risk is probably erosion, so having the fire so far before the rainy season probably helps us. I'm sure they'll keep the area closed for a week or so while they mop up - but I'll be out there as soon as I can to see what it looks like. It'll be a different experience, but still a great place to ride!

Team Fearless Descender
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker View Post
    Looks like the fire burned down Sycamore Canyon to PCH and is now burning mostly south.
    Hearing this on the 10pm news too. Man, I'm sure some great stuff has been lost. But, like you say, it will be back, and it will be different, and maybe better.

"Changes aren't permanent, but change is" - RUSH

Stuff

b a n n e d
    Looks like over 8K acres have burned and its currently about 10% contained. The wind advisories have been RE-instated this evening, and the temps are predicted to rise well above normal again tomorrow. As much as I hate that some great sections of trail have burned, its better than people's homes.

I'll definitely be out there as soon as possible . . . glad I got in a couple rides out there this year so far.

So Cal Slayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Been wondering about you out there . . . hope its not too close to your place.
    Thanks, luckily I'm out of the danger zone. Just dealing with some smoke and ash.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    10,000 acres now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Maybe the wind won't pick up today..and we get rain early. They have to hike that and hack all the brush in the park

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Chevy chase

Another fire in Glendale ..

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Another fire in Glendale ..
    Just drove past it as it was getting started. It seemed like they were letting it burn at first but then it started little spot fires and it really stretched out. If Cherry Canyon or Verdugo Mountain burns up, I'm gonna go POSTAL!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Quote Originally Posted by hawg View Post
    it seemed like they were letting it burn at first but then it started little spot fires and it really stretched out
    fock!! *been some 20 years since that stuff burned~Brand Park
    Last edited by Deerhill; 05-03-2013 at 03:54 PM.

So Cal Slayin'
    Sounds like pretty much everything in sycamore has burned. I have a buddy who lives on the newbury park side of the trailhead and according to him, it's all gone.

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Brutal!!!

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    fock!! *been some 20 years since that stuff burned~Brand Park
    It's been burning up the hill on the East side of the freeway (2) but I think the boyz have a handle on it.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickSilverZ View Post
    Sounds like pretty much everything in sycamore has burned. I have a buddy who lives on the newbury park side of the trailhead and according to him, it's all gone.
    Yeah, I'm going to head out there first chance I get to check it out. Sounds like a disaster. Has Los Robles been affected at all?

Gor'n Ridin'!
    Yeah, I'm going to head out there first chance I get to check it out. Sounds like a disaster.
    Take a doctors mask with you. The ash/dust will be heavy and breathing it is really bad for you.

So Cal Slayin'
    Yeah, I'm going to head out there first chance I get to check it out. Sounds like a disaster. Has Los Robles been affected at all?

Los Robles hasn't been affected. Sounds like they are fighting to keep the fire from heading that direction.

mtbr member

Western SM Mtns on Fire

Latest map as of 5/4 at 2:06pm.
    Western SM Mtns on Fire-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21367704287.753081.jpg

Red is the burn area and perimeter of the fire. Blue is evac areas.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    All the areas open to mountain bikes, from Ranch Center to Overlook to the main canyon, have burned. All of La Jolla Canyon has also burned, and the abandoned ranch house at Ranch Center appears to have burned - the smoke was too thick for me to see well - which means there may be nails and broken glass nearby when the area is re-opened. There are a few inliers of unburned vegetation, but those may be consumed over the next couple of days. The fire is currently expanding through the State Wilderness Area, but it slowed down once it hit the top of the plateau. Los Robles has not burned, but the connector between Pt. Mugu and the west end of Los Robles will probably burn tonight - the fire department would be nuts to leave all that fuel between Potrero and the park. Winds are light and shifting, and fuel moisture is still pretty high, so the fire is low and smoky right now. It may take awhile to re-open the trails, as they were defined (in many places) by brush that's no longer there. Without "walls" of brush, bikes and horses tend to go wherever they want, leading to trail cutoffs and braiding, which the rangers would like to prevent. Cross your fingers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Can't tell on the map, looks like it's well past Leo Carrillo?

mtbr member
    Don't know what's happened in the last 4 hours, but I don't think it's crossed Yerba Buena, which leaves Leo Carrillo unscathed so far. I did read that it's been evacuated, though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You're right, just clicked on the map and that's decker all the way on the right then Mulholland next to the blue line.. fire went crazy yesterday

b a n n e d

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Helicopters are still working in the northern and eastern reaches of the park. Hazard assessments are nowhere near complete. If the fire had been a hot one, trees would have burned out and nothing but the stumps would be left (and still burning underground), but the fire was cool and slow-moving so there are a lot of damaged but not downed trees. The park estimates they'll re-open campgrounds and parking areas next to PCH on or around Tuesday, May 21. I don't see how they can possibly make that timeline for re-opening trails beyond the parking lots, they just don't have the money to get the needed staff out into the backcountry. Park info can be had at (310) 457-8143.

Edit: As of this morning, signboards along Potrero say the trails will re-open May 24.
    Last edited by ScottR1; 05-12-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: updated opening date

Team Fearless Descender
    Thanks ScottR1 for this update. I really want to get out there, see what the landscape looks like now, having ridden much of the park just 2 weeks before the fires. But, I know it will be some time before things are really open there. Time will heal, and things will return.

Stuff

b a n n e d

Action alert!

If you are a member of CORBA, you got this already, but if not:

Two weeks ago, the Springs Fire tore through huge sections of Point Mugu State Park, including La Jolla Valley, Sycamore Canyon, Serrano Canyon and the Boney Mtn State Wilderness Area. The park is not scheduled to reopen until sometime next week.

Even before it is open to the general public, cleanup work has started to a limited degree. On Wednesday, I joined a few other volunteers and State Parks staff to work on the Upper Sycamore Trail in the Boney Mtn Wilderness Area. On the way to the trail, we passed rangers at the top of the blacktop hill who were making sure that looky-loos and paparazzi stayed out of the burn area.

The trail itself was in pretty good shape, but it was blocked by many many small trees, and several huge oaks that had collapsed across the trail. It took some time to cut the oaks into pieces small enough to drag off the trail. There were also a few sections where mostly small rocks had rolled down the hill onto the trail that we cleared off.

To help with the cleanup effort, CORBA has scheduled two trailwork days in Sycamore Canyon on June 8th and June 15th. (The June 8th date was originally scheduled for Mesa Peak Mtwy singletrack, but has been moved to Sycamore Canyon where the need is much greater.) Initial efforts will focus on removing debris from the trails (fallen trees, rocks, small landslides, etc) so they can be safely used by park visitors. Later work will involve repairing drainage so that rainwater running off the denuded hillsides will not wash the trails away.

We hope you will be able to help fix up these trails and protect them from the winter rains. Please sign up for one or both of these events so we'll know how many people to prepare for.

June 8th registration: Springs Fire Trail Repair in Pt Mugu State Park #1 - CORBA, the Concerned Off-Road Bicyclists Association (Calabasas, CA) - Meetup

June 15th registration: Springs Fire Trail Repair in Pt Mugu State Park #2 - CORBA, the Concerned Off-Road Bicyclists Association (Calabasas, CA) - Meetup

Gotta pay to play
    Cross post from the SS daily ride thread. This is back out in Newbury Park off of Edison Rd.

Looking out towards the ocean/PCH all burnt.

mtbr member
    f*ck.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Burbank...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    If Cherry Canyon or Verdugo Mountain burns up, I'm gonna go POSTAL!!!
    Burning up near debell now

mtbr member
    thanks for taking the pics- not what i wanted to see but good to see the damage that has been done. is the last pic looking down from Guadalasca? if so that area got worked bad...hope it doesnt get to tore up with rains.

Gotta pay to play
    Naw I'm a ways north. Standing about 34.173689,-118.996002 and looking north west into Camarillo.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Current Status for Point Mugu SP:
    Sycamore Campground- Reopening May 24th
    Back Country area- Reopening May 24th (with some trails closed for additional repairs)
    Mugu Beach-Open
    Chumash Trail Head Parking- Reopening May 24th
    Thornhill Broome Campground-Open
    Sycamore Cove Day-Use-Open
    La Jolla Group Camp- Reopening May 24th
    La Jolla Day-Use- Reopening May 24th

The Point Mugu State Park backcountry service roads and most of the trails will be reopening to the public on Friday May 24, 2013 in time for the Memorial Day weekend. Some trails will remain closed until further notice until required repairs are completed. Closed trails will be posted at the entrances to the backcountry and possibly at the closed trailheads. It is imperative that our patrol volunteers set the example and remain on roads and trails designated and open for equestrian and/or mountain bike use. Please advise visitors going off trail into the burned areas, AKA the black, that entering the black can damage sensitive resources, may cause soil erosion, and may inhibit regeneration of native plants. Refer visitor questions about fire ecology to the Interagency Visitor Center at King Gillette Ranch or 805 370 2300.

We encourage our patrol volunteers to get back in/on the saddle and patrol Point Mugu State Park beginning Friday, May 24, 2013.

Thank you very much.

Tony Hoffman
    Filming Coordinator
    California State Parks-Angeles District
    National Park Service-Santa Monica Mountains
    818 880 0358 Desk
    818 880 0383 Fax
    Tony.Hoffman@parks.ca.gov

mtbr member
    Excellent post man and great to hear. Looks like a moonscape probably but it'll be better than not riding it! How'd you get the info btw-

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I do volunteer work for the park. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sweet- thanks for your service!

Team Fearless Descender

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by toingtoing View Post
    Current Status for Point Mugu SP:
    Sycamore Campground- Reopening May 24th
    Back Country area- Reopening May 24th (with some trails closed for additional repairs)
    Mugu Beach-Open
    Chumash Trail Head Parking- Reopening May 24th
    Thornhill Broome Campground-Open
    Sycamore Cove Day-Use-Open
    La Jolla Group Camp- Reopening May 24th
    La Jolla Day-Use- Reopening May 24th

The Point Mugu State Park backcountry service roads and most of the trails will be reopening to the public on Friday May 24, 2013 in time for the Memorial Day weekend. Some trails will remain closed until further notice until required repairs are completed. Closed trails will be posted at the entrances to the backcountry and possibly at the closed trailheads. It is imperative that our patrol volunteers set the example and remain on roads and trails designated and open for equestrian and/or mountain bike use. Please advise visitors going off trail into the burned areas, AKA the black, that entering the black can damage sensitive resources, may cause soil erosion, and may inhibit regeneration of native plants. Refer visitor questions about fire ecology to the Interagency Visitor Center at King Gillette Ranch or 805 370 2300.

We encourage our patrol volunteers to get back in/on the saddle and patrol Point Mugu State Park beginning Friday, May 24, 2013.

Thank you very much.

Tony Hoffman
    Filming Coordinator
    California State Parks-Angeles District
    National Park Service-Santa Monica Mountains
    818 880 0358 Desk
    818 880 0383 Fax
    Tony.Hoffman@parks.ca.gov
    Now that we are past the 24th, has anyone ridden there? We are thinking to head out tomorrow (Sun the 26th), but are curious if Guadalasca and Backbone (Wood Cyn Vista) are open???

Stuff

Climber
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    Now that we are past the 24th, has anyone ridden there? We are thinking to head out tomorrow (Sun the 26th), but are curious if Guadalasca and Backbone (Wood Cyn Vista) are open???
    Yes, they are open, I rode them today.
    Looks like everything that was open to bikes prior to the fire is open
    Looks much different and there are more rocks on the trails then before, but nothing that can't be tackled pretty easily.

Western SM Mtns on Fire-img_1271.jpg

mtbr member

Western SM Mtns on Fire

Quote Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
    Yes, they are open, I rode them today.
    Looks much different and there are more rocks on the trails then before, but nothing that can't be tackled pretty easily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1271.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	802436
    I can't even tell where that's taken from. Is that the top of hell hill?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    [QUOTE=RyanW;10422126]Yes, they are open, I rode them today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1271.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	802436

Unreal !!! This was my go to trail... I've ridden this area countless times... There were 3 signs on GT. One at the base (Wood Cyn). The 2nd at the actual starting point of GT (mid way) and the 3rd at the top off of Overlook. Based on the picture. Is this looking east from the 2nd sign ? Spoke with a ranger yesterday. Said all trails are open (except Serrano). He said, its a barren wasteland out there.

Climber
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by scvkurt03 View Post
    I can't even tell where that's taken from. Is that the top of hell hill?
    Yep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast