Glad to Be Alive

warning rocky peak and sui

letter that I got from a friend

. I think I know where your shovels are disappear to.
    I was up on Hummingbird today and was speaking with a one of the head honchos from Simi Parks and Rec, they have been patrolling the trails and cleaning out the tools and any wooden structures they may find. He saw me hiking and said for now they will not ticket but ...

He said that EVERYTHING between the corridor under the 118 all the way to HB is off limits to everyone. They are getting signage made and he said they will be strictly enforcing and patrolling the trails in the area starting in the spring. They have been getting complaints because someone is "building" on Hummingbird and other legal trails.

He also said that they were up on Sui the other day and are very close to closing it down. It is legal to ride now but because off all the stuff that has been built as of late and seeing a lot of tools left there they are very tempted to just shut it down.

just a warning.....and the guy building on sui is building nonsense (weaksauce-learn to ride)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the warning. That would really be a bummer if they closed down Sui! Besides not building anything there (which I'm not), do you think there is anything we can do to encourage them to keep it open? I've always tried to be low-key there, hoping that they'd leave it alone if we didn't draw attention to Sui, but I guess with so many people riding it that's not really possible. So I wonder if contacting them to urge them to keep the trail open would help at all? (And who to contact???)

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by agoura_biker
    Thanks for the warning. That would really be a bummer if they closed down Sui! Besides not building anything there (which I'm not), do you think there is anything we can do to encourage them to keep it open? I've always tried to be low-key there, hoping that they'd leave it alone if we didn't draw attention to Sui, but I guess with so many people riding it that's not really possible. So I wonder if contacting them to urge them to keep the trail open would help at all? (And who to contact???)

there is someone there who is an idiot builder who needs to stop....let things ride over and build next year....just leave it alone and keep it low profile
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    A few of us from CORBA walked Suicide with the Rancho Simi Ranger recently. The issue is that as part of the NPS Trails Management Plan that has been ongoing for a few years now they want to bring Suicide into the official trails inventory. The plan had stalled due to lack of funding but was recently started up again. Due to all the illegal trail building that has taken place on the trail in the last couple of years NPS wants the trail to be a hiker only trail. Not that hikers don't go off trail and do damage also but at least they don't chop down the brush and build doubles right next to the trail for all to see! So we have a few outlaws that are ruining things for all of us! Please consider the long term impacts of your actions before you start building/modifying trails illegally!

Our next move is to set up a meeting with Malanie Beck with NPS to discuss our options if any. We explained to the Rancho Simi guys if this trail is shut down riders are not just going to stop riding. They will just find another place to ride. There is a need for trails like this! We either need to keep this one open or find another location for something like it.

There are a few xc type trails that cross suicide closer to the bottom. These will remain multi use trails no matter what happens on Suicide.

I think there will be another public comment period for the Trails Master Plan. I will find out about that and report back.
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

Stray Bullet
    Maybe the NPS should get with the program and provide some area for progressive riding. If there were legal trails with challenging terrain I highly doubt you'd see the illegal building that is currently happening.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just to add my two cents, thank you to the people who have been meeting with the NPS and Rancho Simi park rangers. The way to advance our trail goals is to build trust between the riders and the agencies, so they view us as legitimate trail users, and not people who build illegal stunts in the middle of the night.

For the people who really love the stunts, that's great, but build and ride where it is legal, don't F your buddy getting these trails closed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

good advise!

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    there is someone there who is an idiot builder who needs to stop....let things ride over and build next year....just leave it alone and keep it low profile
    "Due to all the illegal trail building that has taken place on the trail in the last couple of years NPS wants the trail to be a hiker only trail."

El P, If what you say is true, doesn't sui need to be addressed at a city council or parks/rec meeting asap? especially with the economy, there's probably under 5 p&r meetings a year.

once sui is closed it's gonna be near impossible to get it open again.
    Last edited by Deerhill; 01-02-2010 at 08:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillOG
    "Due to all the illegal trail building that has taken place on the trail in the last couple of years NPS wants the trail to be a hiker only trail."

El P, If what you say is true, doesn't sui need to be addressed at a city council or parks/rec meeting asap? especially with the economy, there's probably under 5 p&r meetings a year.

once sui is closed it's gonna be near impossible to get it open again.
    No it is not a City or Parks and Rec issue. It is up to the NPS. Information on the plan can be found here: http://www.nps.gov/samo/parkmgmt/tmp-index.htm

Rancho Simi seemed willing to work with us but the top half (the fun part) of Suicide is under NPS management.
    www.corbamtb.com CORBA-Working for MTB Access in the L.A. area.
    www.otbmbc.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente
    No it is not a City or Parks and Rec issue. It is up to the NPS. Information on the plan can be found here: http://www.nps.gov/samo/parkmgmt/tmp-index.htm

Rancho Simi seemed willing to work with us but the top half (the fun part) of Suicide is under NPS management.
    Good to know, I've always wondered why the ranger rolls with an M16.

Professional Troll
    I just LOVE how we pay people to try and ruin our innocent fun times. GOOOOOOOOOO Government! Maybe we should all go drink and smoke pot instead of engage in healthy productive sports like mountain biking. Ya, that's it. I'll just get fat and depressed and raise health care costs, win-win right?

But seriously, why can't we get any gravity MTB'ers into these jobs? How hard can they be, I mean they're effing gov't jobs, any idiot with a college degree can get them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I hate when they tear down our jumps and riding areas to let hikers in. There are enough places for people to hike. Let us have our fun too. Reminds me of when they were rehabilitating Corginville park and we had all of our jumps into and out of the ravine. Just came one day and they were gone.
    Last edited by MoonCo; 01-06-2010 at 11:55 PM.

I gotta pee
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonCo
    I hate when they tear down our jumps and riding areas to let hikers in. There are enough places for people to hike. Let us have our fun too. Reminds me of when they were rehabilitating Corginville park and we had all of our jumps into and out of the ravine. Just came one day and they were gone. For a while they didn't let anyone ride there at all. Is suicide trail the same as ****** or are they different?
    You really should stop posting trail names.. Jesus, and suicide is different because its a natural trail, thats why we love it. The others are able to be messed up by newbs dragging breaks through all the obstacles or not using the go around where provided and those who maintain them, or build don't appreciate people naming trail names of giving out locations on the interwebs. Edit your post please

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamatt
    Edit your post please
    Ya, that was a pro first post by him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Edited, I know what trail your talking about now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Professional Troll
    whoa, that is GNARLY

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    edit those quotes

members only

Bonking ... not feelin' well Fall-Line Riders on XC trails

Quote Originally Posted by El Presidente
    ... riders are not just going to stop riding. They will just find another place to ride...
    Or they will destroy the existing legal XC trails even more, much evidence of this the past few years on H...B... in Simi
    I ride solo 98% of the time

Glad to Be Alive
    Good to know, I've always wondered why the ranger rolls with an M16.

don't you mean Intense M-6

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by ET_SoCal
    Or they will destroy the existing legal XC trails even more, much evidence of this the past few years on H...B... in Simi
    which is leading to the trouble of Rocky Peak.....I am all for going up HB and blocking everything....poles, fences, rocks, ditches and pits....anybody in then PM me