Warrior's Society

Warning-Holy Jim/Trabucco canyons

For those of you that ride out at Holy Jim Canyon, Trabucco Canyon or the surrounding areas be aware of car breakins. This past Sunday, Aug. 22, myself and the Owner of Switchback Cyclery parked at the dirt lot just off the pavement at Live Oak Road. We rode our bikes up Trabucco Creek road to Holy Jim, accross the Main Divide and down Truabucco Trail.

Upon retuning to our vehicles, we learned that Switchback Cyclery Van had passenger door and driver door windows smashed. The owners purse was stolen. Apprently a rock was thrown from the passenger side through both windows and struck the fender on my truck. My vehicle was not broken into.

After talking with the Sherrif's deputy who took the report, this is a very common occurance in this area as well as the parking area at the bottom of Holy Jim Trail head.

If you choose to ride this canyon, I strongly urge you to pay the extra couple of $$$'s and park at O'Niel Park and ride from there.

mtnbikej

giddy up!
    Damn J, that sucks. I can't believe I hadn't heard abot that yet!

I'll stick with parking at cooks or oneill from now on!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

stay thirsty, my friends
    Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the warning.

Maybe it's the ghost of Holy Jim.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

Action Sports Trader
    There are a lot of illegals that camp out there and then come down during the day to work. I occasionally see them walking down from the hills. There are a few mean lookin one's. I had often thought that might happen to me sooner or later.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpaws
    Thanks for the warning.

Maybe it's the ghost of Holy Jim.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by samanderson4
    There are a lot of illegals that camp out there and then come down during the day to work. I occasionally see them walking down from the hills. There are a few mean lookin one's. I had often thought that might happen to me sooner or later.

Sam
    Yeah, once I saw their van, I thought for sure mine truck was going to be in the same condition. However, looks like I got lucky.

mtnbikej

banned
    Apr 2004

With all that good single track up there

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    For those of you that ride out at Holy Jim Canyon, Trabucco Canyon or the surrounding areas be aware of car breakins. This past Sunday, Aug. 22, myself and the Owner of Switchback Cyclery parked at the dirt lot just off the pavement at Live Oak Road. We rode our bikes up Trabucco Creek road to Holy Jim, accross the Main Divide and down Truabucco Trail.

Upon retuning to our vehicles, we learned that Switchback Cyclery Van had passenger door and driver door windows smashed. The owners purse was stolen. Apprently a rock was thrown from the passenger side through both windows and struck the fender on my truck. My vehicle was not broken into.

After talking with the Sherrif's deputy who took the report, this is a very common occurance in this area as well as the parking area at the bottom of Holy Jim Trail head.

If you choose to ride this canyon, I strongly urge you to pay the extra couple of $$$'s and park at O'Niel Park and ride from there.

mtnbikej
    I hate to burn all those extra calories on that long boring fire road coming up from O'Neil, maybe I will lower my comprehensive deductable instead.

mtbr member
    well I've only biked Holy Jims once but I have played out there countless times in my Jeep. That break in thing is sad in an area like that.Thankfully I get the luxury of parking at different friends houses right near by, one in Holy Jims, so I don't worry bout the breakins.
    AJ

Waiting to exhale.
    Quote Originally Posted by samanderson4

Sam
    Dude,
    you're an ideot. "illegals" I am assuming you mean Mexicans? (shaking my head in dissapointment). Am I correct in assuming you are white? Probably live in a nice condo in OC, drive a small import sports car, "upper-middle class"? Once again you prove "white" mans FEAR of the unknown.
    "There are a few mean lookin one's." thats funny (not). According to that, I must be capable of dozens of violent crimes. Remember your post in my lost dog thread? you came off like you where tuff...remember?quote"When I ride past them on the downhill and they have bent over to pick up their dogs crap, I occasionally startle them. They, more often than not, start *****in and complaining to me. I will normally ride away, but occasionally, if they don't shut the F up, I will get off my bike and start walking towards them. They more often than not stop talking at that point and start walking."quote Ya... sure. I bet if it was one of those mean looking "illegals" you would be riding off scared like a sissy. Something tells me you start feeling a little insecure about your penis around minorities. I sure would like to see the look on your face when you see me at the trail. I am mexican and mean. I think I know how to tell that its you...I just look for a scared looking "white guy" with a red neck who is rude to pedestrians on the downhill. Fool.
    I apologize to the rest of the community for my rant. I assure you all that I have no ill feelings towards people who fit some of the descriptions i mentioned....I am halfway joking with stereotypes. but I just feel sometimes that guys like this ruin relations between people and mtbers on the trails. I can't stand it when people will scapegoat a certain group of people for bad things. I feel for the guys at switchback...I understand they are going through some tough times right now and this incident doesn't help. I have been through there a few times and they are good people. Shari went the extra mile for me a couple of times.
    mtnbikej, thanks for the heads up. I have had some velcro ties stolen off my bike rack up there...It must have been those " illegals" they probably needed the velcro straps to hold there drugs I doubt it was another mtber, why would they need velcro straps that belong on a BIKE RACK?!

can't we all just get along?
    Quite possibly the slowest single speeder on earth.
    Now skating 'cause its cheaper.

Action Sports Trader
    There you go crying again. I must have hit a soft spot with you. Do you think, as you put it, " White Man" is holdin you down? And I did mean illegals from Mexico, because, Guess what, most of the illegals are from Mexico, if you haven't already noticed. If you have ever ridden that trail, from you post you obviously haven't, you might have seen the hundred or so people walking down the hill to work and a few do look pretty mean. So, unless you have something inteligent to say, please quit your rambling, nobody cares about your sensitive issues. Go to Dr. Phil if you want to cry.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    Dude,
    you're an ideot. "illegals" I am assuming you mean Mexicans? (shaking my head in dissapointment). Am I correct in assuming you are white? Probably live in a nice condo in OC, drive a small import sports car, "upper-middle class"? Once again you prove "white" mans FEAR of the unknown.
    "There are a few mean lookin one's." thats funny (not). According to that, I must be capable of dozens of violent crimes. Remember your post in my lost dog thread? you came off like you where tuff...remember?quote"When I ride past them on the downhill and they have bent over to pick up their dogs crap, I occasionally startle them. They, more often than not, start *****in and complaining to me. I will normally ride away, but occasionally, if they don't shut the F up, I will get off my bike and start walking towards them. They more often than not stop talking at that point and start walking."quote Ya... sure. I bet if it was one of those mean looking "illegals" you would be riding off scared like a sissy. Something tells me you start feeling a little insecure about your penis around minorities. I sure would like to see the look on your face when you see me at the trail. I am mexican and mean. I think I know how to tell that its you...I just look for a scared looking "white guy" with a red neck who is rude to pedestrians on the downhill. Fool.
    I apologize to the rest of the community for my rant. I assure you all that I have no ill feelings towards people who fit some of the descriptions i mentioned....I am halfway joking with stereotypes. but I just feel sometimes that guys like this ruin relations between people and mtbers on the trails. I can't stand it when people will scapegoat a certain group of people for bad things. I feel for the guys at switchback...I understand they are going through some tough times right now and this incident doesn't help. I have been through there a few times and they are good people. Shari went the extra mile for me a couple of times.
    mtnbikej, thanks for the heads up. I have had some velcro ties stolen off my bike rack up there...It must have been those " illegals" they probably needed the velcro straps to hold there drugs I doubt it was another mtber, why would they need velcro straps that belong on a BIKE RACK?!

can't we all just get along?

mtbr member

Step away from the pipe

Smokey - We live in a society of rules/laws. Maybe it's not PC to call transients or whatever your favorite euphemism for "illegals" is, but the fact is, there are people living in this country illegally". No one should be ashamed to call them what they are. Whether they are Mexican or Chinese or whatever, it does not matter.

Sorry if my whitey attitude offends you.

BTW, My wife is Mexican and she agrees.

Take another hit and relax.

Waiting to exhale.
    dude,
    I guess no one is going to understand the main point that I was trying to make. the point was that ignorance and fear will influence us to point the finger without solid evidence. Second, I don't like samanderson4. I think he's a gutless moron who only gets brave online. Third, I am not arguing whether or not anyones illegal or should be called illegal, I was just "calling out" some fools fear in man and how it has shaped his perception in this world. Even as I write this, I am confronted by the idea that most people are living there lives in ignorance and that ignorance is allowing them to NOT see their wrongs. sort of like blinders on a horse. they have those so they won't see things to their sides that might scare them. you know that saying "ignorance is bliss" I think too many people live there lives by that. anyways, there is also a saying "choose your battles wisely".... I don't think anyone will get this so I am going to drop it.
    take another hit and relax .....sounds like a plan!

keep the shiny side up!
    white people are so damn stupid!! you can tell they are stupid just by the way they look!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej

mtnbikej
    j whats up this is dan from prescott az sorry to here about that that really sucks thats s.c. forya keep in touch i check the board alot tell the tuesday night group miss them all dan

banned
    Apr 2004

Dude, I sense a little American History X

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEY
    dude,
    I guess no one is going to understand the main point that I was trying to make. the point was that ignorance and fear will influence us to point the finger without solid evidence. Second, I don't like samanderson4. I think he's a gutless moron who only gets brave online. Third, I am not arguing whether or not anyones illegal or should be called illegal, I was just "calling out" some fools fear in man and how it has shaped his perception in this world. Even as I write this, I am confronted by the idea that most people are living there lives in ignorance and that ignorance is allowing them to NOT see their wrongs. sort of like blinders on a horse. they have those so they won't see things to their sides that might scare them. you know that saying "ignorance is bliss" I think too many people live there lives by that. anyways, there is also a saying "choose your battles wisely".... I don't think anyone will get this so I am going to drop it.
    take another hit and relax .....sounds like a plan!

in your essay, and that's not a bad thing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I'm the mean looking Mexican!!!

I'm mexican and I look mean(especially after a long ride) so please don't blame me for that break-in!

To Smokey's point, I think he just means don't judge the book by the cover. Even though these workers look mean, they are most likely hard working fellas working for dirt pay so that we(all who benefit from their labor) can have cheap fast food, dry cleaning, car washes, clothing, produce, construction, etc.. These guys don't want any trouble with the law and they certainly don't want to be deported. Despite my viewpoint, if I heard that a liquor store was robbed at gunpoint in Compton, I would think that it was owned by a Korean and robbed by an African American. Man I suck!

We're all prejudiced one one way or the other. Oh well, time to ride!

Later!

Action Sports Trader
    Hey,

I don't really give a F$ck what color or race any of you are. This age of being "political correct" is getting out of hand. If you mention that you have seen a Mexican on the trail every body sh@ts their pants. Did I say that person did it? NO. Did I say he knew who did it? NO. Did I even say the a person, darker than white but lighter than black, did it? NO. So shut up and relax.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Suburban Kids Who Listen to P Diddy

Ten bucks says it was some kids from the burbs trying to get some Mary Jane Money that broke into the cars. Believe, highly probable because I grew around idiots like that.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    j whats up this is dan from prescott az sorry to here about that that really sucks thats s.c. forya keep in touch i check the board alot tell the tuesday night group miss them all dan
    Was wondering where you heard about this. I was at the shop today when you called.

Good to hear from ya.

mtnbikej

Waiting to exhale.

whoa

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Shoo Pork
    Ten bucks says it was some kids from the burbs trying to get some Mary Jane Money that broke into the cars. Believe, highly probable because I grew around idiots like that.
    LOL,
    true dat.

120 pounds of xc sex!

yup

i agree w/ smokey. nice to hear ur dawg is back too.
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

SUPER HERO
    Oct 2004
    im a mexican and i got a shaved head , the places i bike are filled with other bikers who are usually white guys , i stick out and i know this, i dont own bike shorts or a jersey , i wear a t shirt and gym shorts when i ride i dont even own a bike helmet but this doesnt stop me from putting 15 miles every morning on my bike and even more on the weekends, anyway i try and tell everyone i see on the trail hello or good morning , sometimes they say it back some times they dont , one day as i was heading into the trail this dude was heading out , i told him hello as he got closer , no response other than a sideways dont steal my wallet kinda look , i didnt sweat it , i rode to my usual point 8 miles in and turned around on my return trip, after about 3 miles i came up on the same dude pushing his bike with a rear flat, i slowed down next to him and blurted out 'flat tire hu? yup he replied , he said he tried to patch it but it still didnt hold air so i offered up my spare tube and we changed it and got him rolling again , we made chit chat and shook hands , the next week i saw him again on the trail..............he said hello . PEACE BROTHERS AND SISTERS, LOVE IS THE ANSWER, ERASERACISM,KEEP PEDELING!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Dude you're orginal statement sucks!

You clearly associated the "illegal" with the break in but there isn't a single thread of evidence to make that connection. Hopefully it's just ignorance on you're part because the only crimes I've seen involving "illegals" beside the immigration issue is when they get beat close to death by a middle class white kid for kicks. Or when they work for below minimum wage to pick our food, take care of our yards or raise our children...

I'm such a fox
    Hikerturnedbiker, I'm Mexican also and I know exactly what you are talking about. I don't have a shaved head but I still get the same reactions. I try to say "Hello" to everyone I see on the trail, just because it's in my nature to do so. Rarely do I get a response, more often than not I get the cold shoulder or the don't come to close to me look.

I did run into one other mountain biker, the only cool one I've met so far. He stopped and helped me out in a section that I was trying to teach myself to clear and offered up alot of tips which helped immensely. I was impressed with his personality and his willingness to help me out. I'm almost embarrased to say that I can't clearly remember his name but I'm 85% positive it's Dave. So if you are on this board and this incident sounds familiar, big props to you for not being a prejudiced prick and having an open mind.

Agustin
    The scary Mexican at Sullivan Canyon