mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Wanted: waypoints, tracks and recommendations

Hi all-

NorCal folks here heading your way for a week. I'm looking for recommendations (and hopefully tracks and waypoints) for rides in the Anza Borrego, Palm Springs and Joshua Tree areas. I also have some specific questions...

Is anyone running a commercial shuttling service that can shuttle for Coyote Canyon?

Has Joshua Tree NP opened up their singletrack to mountain bikes yet?

Can you tell me any good websites to download waypoints and tracks?

What rides would you suggest in these areas in the range of 1000 to 2000' elevation gain?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rich Owings
    www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com
    www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

Over the Hill
    National Geographic Topo Files and ride reports with directions.
    http://www.mountainbikebill.com/

I have some San Bernardino, San Gabriels, and Santa Ana Mountains, Garmin and National Geographic Topo Tracklogs/Routes. Nothing in the Palm Springs Area.

PM me if I can help.

Ich bin ein Knolliner
    Try the trails section in this link for waypoints:

http://www.singletrackmind.com/

I know J-Tree NP is included, but it might only be a scenic dirt road tour. Don't know the status of JT's singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks to you both. I'll have a look. I picked up Mountain Biking Southern California's Best 100 Trails at a local REI. It was all they had for the region. So far I'm looking at Big Laguna, Murray Peak, Palm Canyon and / or Thomas Mountain. My understanding of the situation in J Tree is that the management plan is in place to open some trails to bikes, but they (literally) need an act of Congress to implement it!

Rich Owings
    www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com
    www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

cask conditioned
    The only SoCal desert ride I'd travel far to get to would be Palm Canyon. Do it before they officially close it to bikes.

The Anza Borrgo rides are scenic but can be very sandy. The park is worth seeing though (as is J tree).

You mentioned Big Laguna... you might as well do the big Noble Canyon/Blt loop.
    Buy a bell, help the trails....

http://www.corbamtb.com/store/store.shtml

where are we eating?

member: kv dirt daddies

Ntw

Quote Originally Posted by NewsOfTheWorld
    This has to be the funniest original post I have seen in quite some time. Do you shop in the aisle that houses Gerber products?

Why do you use this forum to cut people down. I have seen you do this on other threads as well. Some of us like to know where we are going before we go. Tell us, what is the purpose of your post?

Over the Hill
    I see by your bios that you are from London. I wonder how much you know about South California. Many trails and trailheads are unmarked and many others are hiking only. I for one plan my routes before I leave as I ride alone allot and do a fair amount of exploring. I have been lost backpacking in the Trinity Alps, Northern California...it was not a good feeling. We knew where we where but it took us two days to relocate the right trail.

I don't know why I even responded to this as it seems to rude to be true!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NewsOfTheWorld
    The purpose is to express disdain for people who have to use the suggestions of strangers and technology to find a place to ride safely in their cocoon when "mountain biking is an inherently dangerous sport".
    You know, I just like maps, mountain biking, exploring and seeing cool places. It has nothing to do with safety. If that was my concern, my upcoming vacation wouldn't be filled with mountain biking, canyoneering and rock climbing.

I only mentioned the book so people here would know what i was looking at. Perhaps I should just take my bike to the desert and ride the first track I see. Is that your approach?

Rich Owings
    www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com
    www.GPStracklog.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You're just trolling now.