mtbr member
    Jan 2003

Vote best / most tech in S.D. county

1 Iron Mt. East Poway, 2 Harmony Grove 3 Lake Hodges great for night rides. Stop at store and toss back a couple beers then ride back. Have to try Flightline still.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robopie
    1 Iron Mt. East Poway, 2 Harmony Grove 3 Lake Hodges great for night rides. Stop at store and toss back a couple beers then ride back. Have to try Flightline still.
    Best or most technical?
    Best ride - Noble Canyon. And I have to agree that the Lake Hodges night ride out to the dam and back to the country store for a couple pitchers of Stone Pale Ale is something I look forward to once a month!

Most Technical - Sections of Noble Canyon. Elfin Forest back in the 80s was very technical - much more so than it is now. Banner Grade Trail to Rodriguez Canyon, to Oriflamme Canyon to Chariot Canyon is technical because of the length and the climb out of Oriflamme. Flightline has some technical sections too.
    Last edited by ssmike; 04-12-2004 at 08:12 AM.

If you have to ask...

Most technical or best? Which is it?

I rode a trail yesterday that was more technically demanding than Iron Mountain, but I wouldn't call it San Diego's best. However, the trail that I would call SD's best is pretty technical, too... hmmm.....

miles (and no, I'm not posting either trail here. Email me if you really have to know.)
    It's 7:09 California time

mtbr member
    Most Technical In SD County: Ted Williams, Clevenger, Iron Mt., Mt. Woodson, Anderson, sections of Noble. I don't consider Flightline technical other than the jumps.

mtbr member
    Well, the Best Trail is the Mission Beach Boardwalk, because there's hardly any dust to get in the oil on my tanned, muscular chest and legs while I show off my Super Bling bike. It's true, the chest protector does make for some funny tanlines, but a session in the booth is usually enough to blend everything.

The most technical trail? What do you mean by technical?

If you have to ask...

I haven't actually ridden at Ted, but

The rest of your list is pretty accurate, mtdbike. But now, to separate out the two questions, what is your list for Best Trail?

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

dft
    mtbr member
    noble technical, please. (i'm not being cocky here but that is an absolute cruiser compared to other trails). iron mountain has a few technical sections. technical trails in SD are world cup, jamul, lake poway, ted williams, parts of lake morena.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

ted williams ?

Quote Originally Posted by mtdbike
    Most Technical In SD County: Ted Williams, Clevenger, Iron Mt., Mt. Woodson, Anderson, sections of Noble. I don't consider Flightline technical other than the jumps.
    where? how long of a ride? thanks

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Yeah Right!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dft
    noble technical, please. (i'm not being cocky here but that is an absolute cruiser compared to other trails). iron mountain has a few technical sections. technical trails in SD are world cup, jamul, lake poway, ted williams, parts of lake morena.

Ted WIlliams? Technical??? Ted Williams can be ridden on a beach Cruiser. Quit being so cocky.....SHEEEEESH!
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

the bigger question is

Quote Originally Posted by dft
    are you doing Noble on a couch with 5 inches of travel or at each end or are you doing it on a HT with a 3" fork or even worse, a fully rigid SS?

and what's technical about World Cup? that's an entirely different kind of riding so you can't really even compare it to Noble. World Cup is (besides being closed and illegal) hucks and jumps. Noble is finnesse and skill. apples and oranges.

nothing technical at Lake Morena either. Kernan can be ridden just as fast on a fully rigid as on a couch and everything else is pretty tame as well.

it's all relative.

But Noble is still technical regardless of what you ride or else there wouldn't seem to be so many riders hiking that trail at different sections

YR

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Ted WIlliams? Technical??? Ted Williams can be ridden on a beach Cruiser. Quit being so cocky.....SHEEEEESH!
    have you ever ridden TW. i don't think so, it would get in the way of your ultra perdictable wed = anderson, sat = noble.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    are you doing Noble on a couch with 5 inches of travel or at each end or are you doing it on a HT with a 3" fork or even worse, a fully rigid SS?

and what's technical about World Cup? that's an entirely different kind of riding so you can't really even compare it to Noble. World Cup is (besides being closed and illegal) hucks and jumps. Noble is finnesse and skill. apples and oranges.

nothing technical at Lake Morena either. Kernan can be ridden just as fast on a fully rigid as on a couch and everything else is pretty tame as well.

it's all relative.

But Noble is still technical regardless of what you ride or else there wouldn't seem to be so many riders hiking that trail at different sections

YR
    everyone has their opinion, i have mine. noble is one of the least technical trails i ride, a cruizer type of trail like san jaun. its still kinda fun, but not my type of trail really. as long as everyone rides what they like.

Samsonite Tester
    Noble on the XC bike is a finess and body english ride. Some smooth to mellow as well the full time stress of techy rocks makes this a 4star ride. The views and wildlife can make it a 5star ride.

Shuttling on a DH bike would probally make is seem easy though.

Maybe ATT would be called tech since air and obstacles require skills.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    nothing technical at Lake Morena either.YR
    there is that steep jeep rock crawler trail there with 4' boulders all over it. I can't see a clean line down it but then again i am a wuss.