mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Visiting San Diego- need bike and advise

Colorado mtn biker visiting San Diego later this month and heard you guys have some pretty sweet singletrack. Any feedback on a shop that demos / rents bikes would be greatly appreciated. Looking for a 4-5 inch full suspension XC bike. As well, any advice on some good XC / FR type singletrack?

R

We're going down WHAT??
    Go to Beyond Bikes for a demo and then go ride Noble Canyon..... There are several of us who ride there fairly often. You may also want to hit up some of the good folks at socaltrailriders.org for some trail hints and possible riding partners while you are out here.
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Bike Tours San Diego (located in downtown SD) rents full suspension bikes. Check out http://www.bike-tours.com/.

For a comprehensive description of trails in the SD area check out Mountain Bike Bill's website @ http://www.mountainbikebill.com/.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    When are you coming out??

There may already be some good rides scheduled

Definitely hit up Beyond Bikes for a high end demo, or Bike-Tours if you are looking for something cheaper.

If you decide to head north, hit up The Path Bike Shop in Tustin (So. OC) to try some of their demo's on trails like San Juan.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    When are you coming out??

There may already be some good rides scheduled

Definitely hit up Beyond Bikes for a high end demo, or Bike-Tours if you are looking for something cheaper.

If you decide to head north, hit up The Path Bike Shop in Tustin (So. OC) to try some of their demo's on trails like San Juan.
    Actually, you can rent a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert from Bike Tours San Diego. Not exactly 'cheap' in my book.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by reesh
    Actually, you can rent a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert from Bike Tours San Diego. Not exactly 'cheap' in my book.
    I think he is referring to a bike like the Ellsworth Truth or Epiphany. So the FSR is "cheap" in comparison.

I've been meaning to demo the Epiphany for a year now, I'm just afraid it might make me part with a little too much money.

P.S. I ride a Stumpjumper FSR...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonacat
    I think he is referring to a bike like the Ellsworth Truth or Epiphany. So the FSR is "cheap" in comparison....
    Ah, I see. Indeed the Stumpy is cheaper in comparision. I just didn't want cpthook to think that he'd be getting some Wal-mart bike if he rented from Bike Tours San Diego.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonacat
    I think he is referring to a bike like the Ellsworth Truth or Epiphany. So the FSR is "cheap" in comparison.

I've been meaning to demo the Epiphany for a year now, I'm just afraid it might make me part with a little too much money.

P.S. I ride a Stumpjumper FSR...
    Thank. Yeah, I owned a Stumpy FSR Expert for a year and a half, and while I've never ridden an Epiphany or Turner 5 Spot, etc. I realize that they are more expensive. And, a demo is going to be a bit more than a "rental" also.

Beyond may even have a 29er Evolve for demo. I believe The Path does.

-allison

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by reesh
    Ah, I see. Indeed the Stumpy is cheaper in comparision. I just didn't want cpthook to think that he'd be getting some Wal-mart bike if he rented from Bike Tours San Diego.
    I said cheaper, not "cheap".

FWIW, I always recommend people to rent from Bike-Tours if they are in SD. Hubby and I rented bikes there before we ever bought. No idea what they were, though.

Last time we rode with someone that rented from there, though, it was a hard tail (all they had available) and in okay condition. I still think it was a bit cheaper than the Beyond demo bikes

But, some people don't want to spend $100+ a day on a bike.

Just depends on what the OP is looking for.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Just came across another rental outfit. B+L bike plus sports in Solana Beach has a small fleet of Spec Mtn bikes, $65 per day.

www.blbikes.com

Bikeoholic

Why rent

I'll tell you what man, depending on what size bike you ride I could let you borrow one of mine (with appropriate waiver and and aggreement to fix it if you break it). I have:
    A medium 2007 dos niner set up with a reba and 3x9 X-0.
    A medium 2005 dos niner set up as a single speed w/ a carbon fiber fork up front
    A medium Salsa El Mariachi single speed or 1x9 rigid
    A 20" Kona Humu...... deluxe converted to a 29er rigid single speed.

I've live within 2 miles of mission trails and I've been looking forward to riding noble canyon so if you fit one and your up for it then we could work it out.
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

mtbr member
    You might also check out the Intense Factory in Tamecula. Send them an e-mail ahead of time and they may have some demos available for you to try out. Spider 29er or 5.5 would fit the bill nicely.

It's a little out of the way, but I did this a year or so ago and was able to hook up with a 6.6 and some friendly locals to show me around Noble Canyon. The San Juan trail is closer to Tamecula and looks like a fun option as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsocal
    Go to Beyond Bikes for a demo and then go ride Noble Canyon..... There are several of us who ride there fairly often. You may also want to hit up some of the good folks at socaltrailriders.org for some trail hints and possible riding partners while you are out here.
    Don't go to beyond bikes; they are horrible with service! try probuiltwheels.com instead.