Icebiker

Visiting Rancho Mirage, want to rent and ride...advice please.

Greetings. I'll be in Rancho Mirage 18-21 of October on business, but have the Sunday to myself. I'd like to get in a good ride on local trails while everyone else plays golf. Have already looked into Palm Springs Cycles, Velobum, Desert Bike Club, Big Wheel Tours, and a few other local resources, but best I could find was to rent a bike from Big Wheel Rentals and either do one of their guided tours (pricey) or stop by PS Cycles for maps and trail advice.

I'm ok with the latter (getting maps from PS Cycles and finding my way), but would prefer to ride with locals who know their way around. In addition, and I hate to sound like a snob, but I'd prefer something a bit more substantial in a bike than the lower-end V-brake hardtails from Big Wheel. Ideally, I'd like to rent a 29'er hardtail or FS (I ride an El Rey), though 26" is fine too. I'd rather not pay Continental to rape me for bringing my own bike along just so they can loose it along the way

So, a shout out to local desert dwellers/riders for your advice on where to rent a decent bike and hook up with a local ride. For what it's worth, I'm a intermediate/advanced rider who prefers technical XC riding (no hucks and big drops though , 4-5 hours, 15-25 miles or so.

Thanks in advance!

Icebiker

Anyone?

Anyone? Bueller?

mtbr member
    Did you check out a Tri-a-Bike in Palm Desert?

I believe they offer rentals.

I snapped a bolt on a seat post collar and they had a replacement collar in stock when I was in the area riding. Giant and Cannondale dealer if I remember correctly.

They had a bunch of copies of the local trail map and were happy to offer accurate directions and advice.

Rode the Goat Trails and the Art Smith Trail and some combination of trails off of Dunn road. Decent riding.

Best thing to do is probably suffer the Dunn Rd uphill and then connect with the trail system that way.

There was trail work going on that made rideable access to Art Smith easier than it has been in the past. Looked like a fairly new alternative to the original Art Smith access from the road out of town.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Try calling Tri A Bike in Palm Desert or Velobum in Rancho Mirage.

Send me a PM about trail options. I know the PS area inside out.

Icebiker

Thanks!

Thanks guys, you were spot-on. Tri-a-bike has good rentals, including FS models from Giant, Santa Cruz, etc. Spoke with a helpful fellow there named Raul, will be going there next weekend.

LncNuvue...will PM you for the 411

Thanks again