mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Visiting Orange County - things to do

Hello,

I'm in the UK and I've got a business trip planned from 2nd to 10th October in Newport Beach. I'm going to be bringing my bike.

I've ridden in the area twice before - mainly up from Cooks Corner, down Luge, and also a night ride up Saddleback.

I'm looking for some good trails, and if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful.

Also, I see from velonews.com that there's a big XC/DH race meeting in Big Bear on weekend of 9/10th October. It sounds worth a visit for some riding/camping/spectating. What do you think?

Finally, is there a website where I can find events in the OC area? Any kind of events really, preferably stuff that's outside.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to coming over your way.

mtbr member
    For Big Bear look at www.teambibgbear.com www.welcometobigbear.com or for local riding go to www.socalmtb.com both should help you out.

jrm
    mtbr member

Go to Big Bear...

Quote Originally Posted by agreen
    Hello,

I'm in the UK and I've got a business trip planned from 2nd to 10th October in Newport Beach. I'm going to be bringing my bike.

I've ridden in the area twice before - mainly up from Cooks Corner, down Luge, and also a night ride up Saddleback.

I'm looking for some good trails, and if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be really grateful.

Also, I see from velonews.com that there's a big XC/DH race meeting in Big Bear on weekend of 9/10th October. It sounds worth a visit for some riding/camping/spectating. What do you think?

Finally, is there a website where I can find events in the OC area? Any kind of events really, preferably stuff that's outside.

Its alot of fun and on Race weekends theres alot to do.

mtbr member
    I think the only link for important things in Orange County is Disneyland.com.

Unless, there's a Wally George museum or something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    ...Unless, there's a Wally George museum or something.
    TOO FUNNY!!!

Man, I haven't heard about Wally George for over 10 years now. I remember his Hot Seat show was hilarious.
    Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

mtbr member

Too funny

Yup

They used to tape the shows just a couple of blocks from Disneyland.

I got thrown out in 88.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Wally George??

Maybe I'm too young to know who he is?

SSped
    Jan 2004

OC riding

I will be up for showing you around. PM me and I will get back with ya. As for Big Bear it kills me to ride at altitude. I always feel like dog dodo riding up there. Call me a Putty Tat. also for happenings in the area check out www.active.com for races and activities in the area.

SSped

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    Wally George??

Wally George was a radical Reaganite Republican who had his own local TV show back in the late 80's to early 90's in Anaheim. His show was called "Hot Seat" and he would invite on liberals, local strippers, homeless rights activists and anyone who had the opposite opinion from his. He made fun of them and mocked them most of the time and the guest would in turn rip on him and his funny hair. The best part of the show was his audience, which seem liked it consisted of drunk college guys. One of Wally's trademark way of insulting guests was to get the rowdy audience to chant "SICK SICK SICK" when a stripper would talk about dancing. His set was complete with a painting John Wayne and a photo of the space shuttle. It came on late at nite on KDOC. Even Daryll Gates came on the show. Tiny Tim was always funny.

He was also actress Rebecca De Mornay's father.

He kinda like an early Jerry Springer...

Buy products mentioned in this post: Roach Motels and Flowbee Hair Cutting System

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    I think the only link for important things in Orange County is Disneyland.com.

Unless, there's a Wally George museum or something.
    Theres also Knotts Berry Farm (another large amusement park), the beach, visit Supergo.
    I like Medievel Times also, it has a dinner and a show with knights jousting, etc. Its right down the street from Knotts.

Thats funny that Wally was mentioned. Is he still alive? He wasn't looking too healthy the last few years he was on.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by agreen

Here's a link to some OC entertainment: http://www.ocregister.com/ocr/2004/0...entertainment/

Also, you might want to check out Aliso & Woods Canyon (in Aliso Viejo) or Whiting Ranch (Foothill Ranch) for a couple decent places to ride in the area. There's also El Moro (Laguna Beach area) which is good too.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    ...Thats funny that Wally was mentioned. Is he still alive? He wasn't looking too healthy the last few years he was on.
    OC's most infamous Reaganite is now chillin with Ronald Reagan. He died back in October.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Are you English? If so I bet you like drinking. There are fun bars all over and around Newport. I suggest heading to Corona Del Mar (the town next to newport) and go to "The Quiet Woman" (thurs, friday, or saturday).

this guy has some good maps and pics of longer rides in OC. www.mountainbikebill.com.

also

El Moro and Aliso Woods are outstanding parks located next to the ocean with steep climbs and some great technical trails to hit on the way down. If you want a tour guide for Aliso email me... slames02 (at) yahoo.com. -Stuart

jrm
    mtbr member

Wally george was this right ring wingnut

Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    Wally George??

that had this circus talk show on KDOC channel 56 on Saturday nites. At first it was funny as hell then it became stale and staged.

Your LB logo is from CSULB no? do you or did you graduate from there? i did in 95 and 2000.