Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vision Quest

mtbr member

Vision Quest

Who's riding the VQ or CC this weekend? I'm volunteeringand riding sweep to the first aid station and I'm wondering if I'll be struggling to keep up with the back of the pack. Any of you think you'll have trouble with the first cutoff time? I rode the Blackstar/Motorway loop in a little over 3 hours, but I know that most of you racing at the Pow Wow have been training, so am I gonna be too slow? Anyways, see you there bright and early Saturday. I'll be the half-asleep guy on an all black 1x1.
    _
    _
    Beware the man who has just one gear. He may know how to use it.

mtbr member
    I'm doing the VQ. Last year I rode singlespeed and made the first cutoff maybe 5-10 minutes shy of 3 hours. I was by no means the last person there. So if you're riding it in close to 3 hours you should be fine. Besides, as a sweeper, dontcha want to come in behind everyone else rather than with or ahead of them?

This year I expect to be on my SC Bullit. Although it has gears, it weighs approx 40 lbs. I'm interested to see whether my cutoff times and finishing times are better or worse.

Mmmmmm Beer!
    I'll be back there with you! I'm not worried about the first cut off. It's the next two!
    You wouldn't be in so much pain if you didn't ride like a dork!

mtbr member
    'fiend: "Besides, as a sweeper, dontcha want to come in behind everyone else rather than with or ahead of them?"

Yeah, I want to be in the back, but I don't want to be too far behind last place
    _
    _

ali'i hua
    bcak of the pack here as well. plate number 424 in the CC. definitely doing it on a singlespeed, but not sure if it'll be the 29er titus or the 29er sofa king. the latter has a ebb that has been creaking like an old ship.

we did the toads fest ride yesterday and while a little chilly, the ride went rather well. numb fingers on some of the downs (w/ full finger gloves) was rather interesting.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pitmang1
    Who's riding the VQ or CC this weekend? I'm volunteeringand riding sweep to the first aid station and I'm wondering if I'll be struggling to keep up with the back of the pack. Any of you think you'll have trouble with the first cutoff time? I rode the Blackstar/Motorway loop in a little over 3 hours, but I know that most of you racing at the Pow Wow have been training, so am I gonna be too slow? Anyways, see you there bright and early Saturday. I'll be the half-asleep guy on an all black 1x1.
    i'm doing it also, its a one time thing for me, already regretting it! i'm sure i'll be slow. it will be a heal day

OMR - Old Man Riding

... and if we just ... Everybody be sure and say hi as you go by....

I'll be working the bottom of Upper Holy Jim (when you come down to Main divide, you turn right to get to Lower Holy Jim). I'll also be doing sweep down to Holy Jim parking lot as well.

Good luck to everybody and please be careful!!!!

Old Man Riding.... actually working VQ.
    Older than Dirt!!!

Team Hardcore Cornbread
    The 12:05 cut off at AS # 2 at the bottow of Holy Him is challenging. If we get rain Tuesday it could really slow things down a bit on Black Star. Let's hope for good weather Saturday and plenty of time to dry out if it rains this week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    the killer cut-off is 1230 at horsethief!

if its 1200 and you are at holy jim, you have no chance to make it up trabucco when you are tired. i'm sure that the champs can do it in 20 minutes, but it takes me 40-45 minutes when i'm tired.

when i saw the 7 hour cutoff for VQ, i opted to try to improve my pathetic CC time.

good luck to everyone, and thanks to the volunteers!

Warrior's Society
    Not riding.....but will be the one responsible for recording your time when you come across the finish.

mtnbikej

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    bcak of the pack here as well. plate number 424 in the CC. definitely doing it on a singlespeed, but not sure if it'll be the 29er titus or the 29er sofa king. the latter has a ebb that has been creaking like an old ship.

we did the toads fest ride yesterday and while a little chilly, the ride went rather well. numb fingers on some of the downs (w/ full finger gloves) was rather interesting.
    Hey E....
    I'll be right there with ya! I've only ridden about 3-4 times in the past 4+ weeks, so I'm just looking to make the cutoffs.

BTW - You gotta take the Sofa King....it needs to attend this event, especially with the new boinger on the front!

See you Saturday....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Pitmang,

If you are riding sweep to the first aid station I'm here to tell you that you can go ahead and sleep in that morning as I will be on the trail. Last year it took me 4 hours just to get to the top of the Motorway. I hereby give you permission to pass me by, especially if you find that you are having difficulty keeping your bike upright due to the slow pace. (In my first race the 2 sweeps actually crashed into eachother on the uphill. Apparently they had never perfected their crawling skills. What's really pitiful is that I won that race)

Floater
    It looks like I'll be in good company, if I can keep up with you all. My training for the CC was interupted in December and January due to a bad illness. I just hope to beat the cut off times and finish. At worst, I'll have a great day of riding, at best, I'll finish. I'm ready for a finish, but I'll be slow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hubby and I are doing Counting Coup also. We've made both the bottom of Motorway and the 4 corners cut-offs just doing rides in the past few months. Haven't tried starting at 5:30 in the morning, though Just hoping to make the cut off's again and finish!

mtbr member
    ill be there! Cant wait its gonnna soooo fun.
    Warrior's Society > WarriorsSociety.org
    Team Sho-Air > Team-shoair.com
    Coolest LBS > Switchbackcylery.com
    Socal Riders Unite > Socaltrailriders.org

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by Burdman
    Hey E....
    I'll be right there with ya! I've only ridden about 3-4 times in the past 4+ weeks, so I'm just looking to make the cutoffs.

BTW - You gotta take the Sofa King....it needs to attend this event, especially with the new boinger on the front!

See you Saturday....

scottay!

the "make it or break it" ride for that bike is tomorrow- if she creaks, she's staying home.

see ya saturday!

OMR - Old Man Riding

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Tell your dad to look for another old timer...

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    scottay!

the "make it or break it" ride for that bike is tomorrow- if she creaks, she's staying home.

see ya saturday!
    Ethan, I'll be working the bottom of Upper Holy Jim. I'll have a camera and will keep an eye out for him. Us old timers have to stick together!

OMR
    Older than Dirt!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    is that snow on the main divide i see out of my window?

i wonder if blackstar is going to dry by saturday, or be a mucky mess again?

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by mtber3737
    Ethan, I'll be working the bottom of Upper Holy Jim. I'll have a camera and will keep an eye out for him. Us old timers have to stick together!

OMR

will stop and say hi!

34N 118W
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Hubby and I are doing Counting Coup also. We've made both the bottom of Motorway and the 4 corners cut-offs just doing rides in the past few months. Haven't tried starting at 5:30 in the morning, though Just hoping to make the cut off's again and finish!
    good luck you two! I've done it once and checked it off my list

this year I'll be in San Jose at the Handmade bike show, sipping coffee in my fleece. But hey, enjoy that start

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

this year I'll be in San Jose at the Handmade bike show, sipping coffee in my fleece. But hey, enjoy that start

Jeff
    haha! I'll be thinking of you looking at pretty Ti welds as I suffer Enjoy the show!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

Jeff
    Jeff, while pushing my bike up each hill....I'll think of you...[SIZE="1"](dude...how FAT am I in that pic?)[/SIZE]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Jeff, while pushing my bike up each hill....I'll think of you...[SIZE="1"](dude...how FAT am I in that pic?)[/SIZE]
    Good luck Padre, hopefully Blackstar isn't a mud grovel. maybe I'll see you, A buddy and I might do the San Juan/Bell ridge/Trabuco/Pinos loop. He tried to get into the Vision Quest last minute but couldn't so this might be our substitute.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mechmann_mtb
    my goal is to not push my bike at all. the only spot i can think of that might be an issue is the loose climb after 4 corners...

i should be ok as long as i don't cramp up. last pre-run we did, near the top of maple springs both quads cramped up and then the hammys went too! had to walk it off for a little bit.

finished up the prep work on the wife's bike last night, still have to go through my bike. hoping to have enough time to get that done tomorrow night...

::EDIT:: only doing CC, if i were doing VQ i would definitely be pushing up a few spots on lower trabuco and most of WHT

mtbr member
    Sounds like I won't be the only one pushing my bike. At least I have a good excuse for being last.
    _
    _

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast