Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Just another FOCer
    Reputation: Winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,376

    ... and if we just ... Viejo Tie to Chiquita ride recap w/ Videos

    Cleveland National Forest, CA. It may have been closer to Halloween, but Sunday sure felt like Christmas.

    When I arrived at the shop Tani was putting the finishing touches on his new Kona Coilair. (6" front and rear.)


    Earlier in the week Frank decided it was time to join the full suspension club.

    Franks new Coilair:


    The ride was a little delayed getting started while we waited for Tani to make the finishing touches:


    It was a beautiful day for a ride with temps only reaching into the low 70's.

    Of course what's the Viejo Tie trail without the mandatory pictures of the Viejo Tie Boulder?

    Mondo rolls the Rogue:








    Joel sports his ever reliable ID:


    Today three riders would join Aquaholic in the "I rode the Viejo Tie Boulder in Reverse Club."

    Joel cleans it:






    Mondo gave it a go, but found Darin's touch much more rewarding:


    Jerry, out from Colorado, cleans it as well:


    Tani cleans the Boulder with the help of a little body english:






    The rest of Viejo Tie went without incident.

    The highlight from the upper Chiquita section of trail was Tani cleaning the fallen tree with ease. He didn't even use much speed to get over it. Look for it on video later.

    The numerous extra credits make lower Chiquita a fun time.

    Here Brandi, possibly dwelling on the Bee Gees greatness, forgets to concentrate on his exit.

    A little hung up, but he was able to save it:


    On to the much photographed rock spine. It's a blast to ride.

    Here Frank puts his new Coilair to the test:






    Now Tani does the same:






    "Crash" Maxwell captures Tani's run from a different angle:

    [SIZE=1]Photo by "Crash" Maxwell[/SIZE]

    Joel's turn:






    Jerry:






    Fergus:


    Our very own "Crash" Maxwell after much inspection gives it a try:








    From here, I would follow Tani down the trail. When Tani missed a turn, it was up to Joel to shine. Since he was busy listening to his iPod Nano, we didn't do anymore stopping. He just blew right past the fun stuff, but all for the best since it was starting to get late.

    We all made it back safe and sound to the Candy Store.

    One last look at Tani's Coilair. Man that TNT stuff really works!


    Around 3:30 pm we arrived back at the shop. Another fun Path ride in the books.

    Videos:

    Viejo Tie (Please right click and select Save Target As...)
    Duration = 7:35
    File size = 57.6 MB

    Chiquita (upper) (Please right click and select Save Target As...)
    Duration = 5:32
    File size = 42.0 MB

    Chiquita (lower) (Please right click and select Save Target As...)
    Duration = 8:46
    File size = 66.6 MB
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

    [SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

  2. #2
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,424

    Wow!

    That Chiquita (lower) is great! I know how much the camera tames the trail but that still looks pretty gnarly. And that's some pretty good riding! Post it on Passion, too good for people to miss.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    249

    Man what a fun ride!

    thanks to everyone who went.

    As always Winston, you are the man.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Clyde S Dale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,143
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston

    One last look at Tani's Coilair. Man that TNT stuff really works!
    Its not the seatstay pivot that works so well, its the reflector on Tani's front wheel. Too funny. I'm surprised it lasted the ride.

    Nice vids as usual, Winston. Thanks.

    EDIT: Did you change something with regard to the aspect ratio on the vids. They're playing closer to 1:1 now. I checked out some of your earlier vids and they play fine.
    Last edited by Clyde S Dale; 11-01-2005 at 10:52 PM.


  5. #5
    Just another FOCer
    Reputation: Winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,376
    One of the flaws of the TMPGEnc video encoder I'm using right now.

    The videos are best viewed using Windows Media Player or Quicktime Player. (Though on Quicktime they appear a little smaller but maintain the proper aspect ratio.)

    Realplayer tends to compress the sides in.

    The hardest part of making video for the web is encoding them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    Its not the seatstay pivot that works so well, its the reflector on Tani's front wheel. Too funny. I'm surprised it lasted the ride.

    Nice vids as usual, Winston. Thanks.

    EDIT: Did you change something with regard to the aspect ratio on the vids. They're playing closer to 1:1 now. I checked out some of your earlier vids and they play fine.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

    [SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

  6. #6
    mtbr dismember
    Reputation: Wherewolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,424

    Not the encoder

    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    One of the flaws of the TMPGEnc video encoder I'm using right now.
    It's not the encoder, it's the player

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    452
    I have a question.

    Amazingly technical for the ride down.

    How do you get to the top? i.e. what are the trails like going UP? Please don't tell me they are just like the videos but instead mostly uphill.

  8. #8
    Just another FOCer
    Reputation: Winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,376
    There are a couple of ways to do it:

    1. Shuttle, which we did. (There is still some climbing involved.)

    2. Ride up Ortega Hwy from the Candy Store to Bluejay Campground which gives you a brutal road climb.

    3. Stash a car at the lot across from the Candy Store. Ride up San Juan, over to Viejo Tie and down Chiquita.

    A little bonus, a picture of the rock spine (catapillar) from October 2004:


    Quote Originally Posted by Destroy
    I have a question.

    Amazingly technical for the ride down.

    How do you get to the top? i.e. what are the trails like going UP? Please don't tell me they are just like the videos but instead mostly uphill.
    Last edited by Winston; 11-02-2005 at 09:27 PM.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

    [SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    333

    You forgot.......

    4) Climb up Chiquita

    edit: ps just like the videos but instead mostly uphill.
    Last edited by mtbski; 11-02-2005 at 09:37 PM.

  10. #10
    taxi mechanic
    Reputation: eebeedah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    i never see bike that is dreamride brand before. where is this made? it looks like big bike.

    this trail looks like fun with many big rock. map shows ortega road is near and look like easy to find. i ride that trail some time soon.

  11. #11
    Just another FOCer
    Reputation: Winston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,376
    Dreamride is a specialty bike store (big $$$$) located in Moab, UT. Folks in the Turner forum are big fans of their work.

    The bike is really a Ventana El Chamuco in disguise.

    Quote Originally Posted by eebeedah
    i never see bike that is dreamride brand before. where is this made? it looks like big bike.

    this trail looks like fun with many big rock. map shows ortega road is near and look like easy to find. i ride that trail some time soon.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

    [SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

  12. #12
    taxi mechanic
    Reputation: eebeedah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Dreamride is a specialty bike store (big $$$$) located in Moab, UT. Folks in the Turner forum are big fans of their work.

    The bike is really a Ventana El Chamuco in disguise.
    i see. thank you for making clear. i see other bikes like kona and ellsworth in photos too. this ventana el chamuco is like santa cruz bullet it seem.

  13. #13
    Proud owner of a BSO
    Reputation: x1134x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Dreamride is a specialty bike store (big $$$$) located in Moab, UT. Folks in the Turner forum are big fans of their work.

    The bike is really a Ventana El Chamuco in disguise.

    What is the purpose of the weld going down the bottom tube toward the crank? it doesnt' appear to be attaching anything to the tube, it looks like they just laid a bead down the pipe to. . . I don't know . . . add weight?

    x1134x
    Confucius Say: Man who stand on toilet is high on pot!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    50

    ... and if we just ...

    Yep climbing it is as much fun as dropping it.Must be old school though I've never seen any pic's or posts of people climbing it.

  15. #15
    Knomer
    Reputation: Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,318
    Quote Originally Posted by x1134x
    What is the purpose of the weld going down the bottom tube toward the crank? it doesnt' appear to be attaching anything to the tube, it looks like they just laid a bead down the pipe to. . . I don't know . . . add weight?

    x1134x
    It's called a gusset, it is used to reinforce the headtube area without having to use thicker tubes on the entire frame.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

  16. #16
    Proud owner of a BSO
    Reputation: x1134x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    It's called a gusset, it is used to reinforce the headtube area without having to use thicker tubes on the entire frame.

    Couldn't they do it on the *inside* of the tube before they attach the head tube? It would be more aesthetically pleasing. . .
    Confucius Say: Man who stand on toilet is high on pot!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •