CEB
    No horse'n round

Ventura County: Nordhoff Ridge/Peak

What is the best way on mtn bike to get to Nordhoff Peak? Is it thru the forest service rd off highway 33 or the Rose Valley access?

Want to ride UP and over to Grindley and then down to Ojai (where is the usual parking spot at Grindley?).

TIA

No dabs.
    I've never climbed from that side so can't tell you what's best, though a book I have says the climb from Rose Valley is the shortest way up to Nordhoff, but extremely steep in many spots. I've always climbed Gridley (no "n") or done the big loop going up Sisar Canyon Rd. off the 150 side.

Gridley is a blast coming down. I've parked right by the trailhead at the end of Gridley Rd. before. There is a small cul-de-sac there, but not much room for too many vehicles.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    WOW... Sisar to Nordhoff to Gridley.

So I studied and stared at it for a while using googlearth. Really a fine ride.

Gonna take some cal-rays to get to the top!

Oct 26th here I come!

No dabs.
    Up Gridley/Down Pratt is a great loop as well - shorter and more singletrack.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo SD View Post
    Up Gridley/Down Pratt is a great loop as well - shorter and more singletrack.
    Good tip. I can see that Sisar is more a road than ST, but much more time and miles in the saddle.

Gridley DH looks tasty

Doktor Rideyourbike prescribed a longer ride so it's up Sisar we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Doktor Rideyourbike prescribed a longer ride so it's up Sisar we go
    Good choice! It's 31 miles with 4,900 feet of elevation gain. I prefer to park at the Gridley trailhead and do all the pavement over to Sisar at the beginning of the ride. That way the ride finishes on a nice downhill note. Last couple of times I've parked at the Forest Service facility on Ojai Ave. just west of Gridley Road, as there's been many reports of car break-ins at the Gridley trailhead.

When cruising along Nordhoff Ridge, don't miss the left turn that takes you over to Nordhoff Peak and the Gridley trail, otherwise you'll end up down in Rose Valley.

Have a fun ride!

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Thanks for the tips! I think I'll take a bacon sandwich, this might take some calories to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JimN View Post
    Good choice! It's 31 miles with 4,900 feet of elevation gain. I prefer to park at the Gridley trailhead and do all the pavement over to Sisar at the beginning of the ride. That way the ride finishes on a nice downhill note. Last couple of times I've parked at the Forest Service facility on Ojai Ave. just west of Gridley Road, as there's been many reports of car break-ins at the Gridley trailhead.

When cruising along Nordhoff Ridge, don't miss the left turn that takes you over to Nordhoff Peak and the Gridley trail, otherwise you'll end up down in Rose Valley.

Have a fun ride!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by CEB View Post
    Thanks for the tips! I think I'll take a bacon sandwich, this might take some calories to happen.
    Maybe seal the bacon up well. There was a bear attack on Gridley last year:

Ojai Bear Attack Survivor Recounts Horrifying Ordeal « CBS Los Angeles

Rode Gridley to Nordhoff peak two months ago and it was great. No bears noted, but many avocados at the beginning (which bears prefer over mountain bikers). Very dry, though, and much cooler up on the ridge so bring layers.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    WOW....

I remember backpacking into the Sespe area in the mid 1980's. Never saw a bear, but lots of scat. Could not have been the poop from any other animal. Then I came across a group of hikers camping in the Oak Flat area (9 miles east of Lion Camp) and they said they just saw "an old scruffy looking bear" yesterday. GREAT (I thought).

Quote Originally Posted by rolling thunder View Post
    Maybe seal the bacon up well. There was a bear attack on Gridley last year:

Ojai Bear Attack Survivor Recounts Horrifying Ordeal « CBS Los Angeles

Rode Gridley to Nordhoff peak two months ago and it was great. No bears noted, but many avocados at the beginning (which bears prefer over mountain bikers). Very dry, though, and much cooler up on the ridge so bring layers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rolling thunder View Post
    My wife and I rode the Sisar/Gridley loop the weekend after the reported bear attack. When we got to the Gridley Trailhead, it was all taped off and there were signs everywhere warning people about the recent bear attack. We chose to park down at the Forest Service facility and go ahead with the ride anyway. Saw some scat here and there on Lower Gridley, but no bears. We were ringing our bells often on the descent. Best part was we had the trail to ourselves that day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Rode up Gridley and down Horn Canyon on Monday, spotted a lot of bear scat and prints at the top of Howard Creek Trail and Nordoff Ridge, right at the campground saddle there, well I ended up seeing a black bear and her cub, so they are definitely hanging out at the top of the ridge right in that area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    This relates to a different thread on the safety of riding alone.

When buddy and I rode Gridley, I advised him that if we see a bear to pedal fast.

"You can't outrun a bear!" he said.

I replied, "No. I just need to outrun you."

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The Forest Service road up from 33 has very serious fences and gates at the bottom, which is private property (all along the east side of 33 in that area). Rumor has it that the property owners also have large hostile dogs, but I have no desire to confirm that.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR1 View Post
    The Forest Service road up from 33 has very serious fences and gates at the bottom, which is private property (all along the east side of 33 in that area). Rumor has it that the property owners also have large hostile dogs, but I have no desire to confirm that.
    That answer that! Thanks.......!!!