emteebee
    Jun 2006

Ventura, CA - Where to ride for me and my mom

Me and my mom are vacationing in Ventura, CA for a week. We are by the harbor and beach. We want to take our bikes and go riding. I am an ok rider but my mom is beginnr, but she doesn't mind something a little challenging. We are looking for some mellow fireroads or mellow singletrack. NO PAved trails.

Ahhh we are looking forward to the cool weather, can anyone tell me what the recent highs were?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmktech
    Me and my mom are vacationing in Ventura, CA for a week. We are by the harbor and beach. We want to take our bikes and go riding. I am an ok rider but my mom is beginnr, but she doesn't mind something a little challenging. We are looking for some mellow fireroads or mellow singletrack. NO PAved trails.

Ahhh we are looking forward to the cool weather, can anyone tell me what the recent highs were?
    Pt. Mugu State Park aka Sycamore Canyon should fit the bill nicely.

Go here for an overview and trail descriptions:
    http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T.../AreaHome.html

Recent highs have been in the mid-70s.

emteebee
    Jun 2006

sounds perfect

Sounds great, now I saw many trail names on the left, which would you recommend for about a 6-8 mile loop with minimal climbing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmktech
    Sounds great, now I saw many trail names on the left, which would you recommend for about a 6-8 mile loop with minimal climbing?
    Hmmm, I'm having a hard time coming up with an interesting route that fits your request.

Since you want to keep the climbing to a minimum, that would preclude starting from the Thousand Oaks side. It also means that you'll have to miss both Quadalasco and Wood Canyon Vista/Backbone, the two best singletracks in the park.

In order to mix in some singletrack, I think you'll want to increase your mileage to around 10 miles. Here's a route that I think would work out well; I'll refer to the trail numbers on the map:

Starting from the entrance on Pacific Coast Highway, start riding up Sycamore Canyon Fireroad (#1). Continue for about five miles to the intersection with Ranch Center Road (#3, paved). Go left onto Ranch Center Road (paved), and shortly thereafter, turn left onto the Sin Nombre Trail (#4). Take the Sin Nombre Trail back to the intersection of Ranch Center Fireroad (#6) and Sycamore Canyon Fireroad (#1). Go straight ahead, head back down Sycamore Canyon Fireroad a short distance and bear right onto Two Foxes Trail (#8). Take the Two Foxes Trail to where it tees into Wood Canyon Fireroad (#7). Turn left onto Wood Canyon Fireoad, and shortly thereafter, bear right onto Sycamore Canyon Fireroad (#1). Take Sycamore Canyon Fireroad back to the parking lot.

Bear in mind that none of the trails or fireroads are signed. The map is accurate, except for the portion that illustrates the Sin Nombre Trail (#4). Here's what you want to remember: After turning left off of Ranch Center Road (#3, paved) onto the Sin Nombre Trail (#4), you'll quickly reach a junction where you want to bear left. Continue down the Sin Nombre Trail until it tees into another singletrack. Turn right and you'll soon reach the junction with Ranch Center Fireroad (#6) and Sycamore Canyon Fireroad (#1). The rest makes sense with regard to the map.

It sounds more confusing than it really is. Print out the map and a copy of these directions, and I don't think you'll have a problem navigating the route.

Have a nice trip!
    Last edited by JimN; 07-14-2006 at 05:46 AM.

mtbr member

Mugu is perfect

Quote Originally Posted by JimN
    Pt. Mugu State Park aka Sycamore Canyon should fit the bill nicely.

Go here for an overview and trail descriptions:
    http://www.venturacountytrails.org/T.../AreaHome.html

Recent highs have been in the mid-70s.
    Miles of gentle fireroad and you can add in 2 foxes and sin nombre for a little easy singletrack.