mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Vail Lake races in Temecula

Anybody know what happened to these races? I did the series early last year and then heard that things were shut down due to "land use issues." Are they ever gonna race there again? Sure had fun when I raced there...

mtbr member

It was a "land use issue"..

but I won't go into any more detail here since it is mostly all heresay.

In my opinion, it was one of the best series here in So Cal. The course is absolutely the best around. Now, if you want to race it, your only option is to do the 24 hour race with GrannyGear. That, too, is a blast.

Hopefully, the legal issues will get resolved and the series will come back next year.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    It appears that the whole area got burnt up earlier this year (April) due to fires - dunno if that affects the trails at all...

mtbr member

Good job! The fires missed Vail Lake...Thank God! nm

nm nm nm

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

The resort

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Pilot
    Anybody know what happened to these races? I did the series early last year and then heard that things were shut down due to "land use issues." Are they ever gonna race there again? Sure had fun when I raced there...
    that hosted the races was sold. the new owner didn't want to host the races. Hence, land use issues. I don't think that all of the land that made up the course was actually owned by the same person but the start/finish of the courses was on the vail lake resort and if the owner of that property doesn't want races to be held, then there really isn't anywhere else to have them in that area.

YR

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Vail Lake did Burn

Quote Originally Posted by jgmtbr
    nm nm nm
    Not sure where you are getting your information but the Vail Lake course burned to the ground. Driving by there today it looks like the moon! The "village" did not burn because the firefighters were staying there and were able to keep this small section from burning. All in all I think it was in the neighborhood of 10,000 acres that burned. Vail Lake has been owned by the same people for quite a while now. The land issue I believe was over the use of the Lake and rights to use the Lake not the trails. I have heard rumors that they are hoping on bringing races back to Vail Lake. Not sure when but I hope they do bring it back soon. It was a great place to ride.

mtbr member

I didn't know it JUST burned

Because the original post was regarding the Vail Lake series, I assumed the poster was referring to the races Vail Lake did in the spring. I assumed the burn they were referring to was the fire LAST fall. When I raced there in the 24 hour race in spring, the course had NOT been burned. That info was first hand.

I'm sorry to hear it did burn. It is a GREAT course.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jgmtbr
    Because the original post was regarding the Vail Lake series, I assumed the poster was referring to the races Vail Lake did in the spring. I assumed the burn they were referring to was the fire LAST fall. When I raced there in the 24 hour race in spring, the course had NOT been burned. That info was first hand.

I'm sorry to hear it did burn. It is a GREAT course.
    It burned about a week or two after the 24 hour race! It really is a bummer. Hopefully they will be back in business for racing.