mtbr member

Vail Lake closed on weekends

Is this just news to me?

I went out there today and was told that they are only open for non-member "viewing" Sunday - Thursday. Glad I live in Temecula and didn't make a long drive.

I was looking to ride around on some of the trails before the 12hr race next month. Now I'm kinda pissed and I'm not even sure if I ever want to go back. What a bunch of crap.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    What's crap is the holiday rates for camping there. The regular rate is reasonable, but the holiday rate is. $110 a night. Not so bad you say but they have a holiday every month and they celebrate it for 3 weeks. So good luck scheduling a non holiday weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Vail

Yeah, that doesn't suprise me. I live twenty minutes away and have heard more negatives than positives about Vail. So even though I have thought about riding there, I just say pass and go ride somewhere else.

mtbr member
    I was there this morning without any problems. They do tend to run things ass-backwards though.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    The one time I went there on a saturday I arrived at 8am right when the office was supposed to open. Nobody showed until 8:45. Lame.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    I was talking to someone who is a member there and they said it is because of the Holiday thing. They have their speical Holloween theme going and are catering to people with money who are willing to pay it. So thats why they gave me the cold shoulder. They would rather fill the place up with people towing RVs and boats than us scrappy mountain bikers.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just park outside and ride in on one of the trails along side the road. No body will ever know.

mtbr member
    so the park is open Sundays? I've never been, but it's about 30 minutes from me & I do need to go ride there before the race this November.

Are the trails well marked? Anybody riding tomorrow (if open) early'ish?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just rode there this past weekend. Stayed there for the annual Halloween bash. Trails were open and in great shape due to the recent rain. I didn't see anything that said they were closed to any specific traffic. If you ride to the Dam Climb (starts at the lake dam, Google map it and its pretty easy to find) and go up from there there are a lot of race course markings still up. Our thoughts were that it was from recent races, and probably left up because upcoming races will take the same trails. Good riding; I wish I could ride there more than I do. The place can be deceiving and looks flatter than it can be in places.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by adamant76
    so the park is open Sundays? I've never been, but it's about 30 minutes from me & I do need to go ride there before the race this November.

Are the trails well marked? Anybody riding tomorrow (if open) early'ish?
    If you have a gps down load this file. It's from last year but the course should be similar.
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=34815

mtbr member
    No it's not that they are closed exactly. The lady had turned me away because I wasn't there to camp and pay money for the Halloween thing. If you want to come out and ride for the day (they call it lake viewing or something) they want you there Sun-Thurs. I still think it is crap to turn people away at the gate who would be willing to pay a day use fee or something. I don't know if they have an information phone number, but it would be a good idea to call first if you are making a drive out there on a Friday or Saturday. Otherwise as someone else said, I guess you can park outside along the road and find your way in.

yep. heres the link and phone numbers. call em to make sure before you drive out there.

http://www.vaillakeresort.com/online-reservations/

It ain't easy being Green
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrengee
    If you have a gps down load this file. It's from last year but the course should be similar.
    http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=34815
    The course for November is up on the 12hrs web site. I'm disappointed, Jason has taken out all the fun stuff; instead of taking 50ft hill to the tech section and switchbacks (after Dam Climb and the fireroad downhill) you just stay on the fireroad all the way to the main ridgeline descent. Boo I suppose you can go banzai the whole lap, no finesse required.

The rest of the course is pretty familiar; ambulance, tunnel of love, marine corps, back to base.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Jason wanted to make the course fast, plus this is basically the very first course he did for the 12 hours of Temecula races.

So, its a vintage course for November!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I won't miss the little climb, tech section, and switch backs at the top of the Dam climb, they just ruined the flow for me. With the old Granny Gear 24 hour course that didn't do that, you were in the big ring from the top of the climb for the rest of the lap, with one or two short exceptions. The section you are going to miss was just a lot of work and not much fun. I'm not a fan of those super tight switchback downhill turns right back into another uphill. Vail Lake trails are fun because you can keep momentum and fly up all of the short little uphills, that section did not allow you to do that. I'm looking forward to a fast and fun course. I would love to see the ridge line downhill from the top of the ambulance climb come back someday, I like that one more than the Tunnel of Love.