Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

UPDATED INFO! Details for Downieville Gathering!!!

968 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  1x1clyde 
#1 ·
Folks, we are less than 30 days away from the Gathering, :thumbsup: so it's time to dish out some updated information. So here goes.

Western States Downieville Summer Kickoff
June 8-10
Packsaddle Campground

Camping
The official base camp will NOT be at Packer Lake, unlike what the original flyer says. We will actually be camping at Packsaddle Campground, just before approaching the lake. Packer Lake is a short ride from the campsite but is day use only. We will place signs along the road indicating the campground, so just look for them. Packsaddle campground is 6000 feet elevation, has developed campsites, hand pumped water and vault toilets. There are no showers, but a swim in the river in Downieville will clean you right up! If Packsaddle campground happens to be full when you arrive, there are two other campgrounds within close distance: Berger and Diablo. You will have passed these 1.5 miles on your way up Packer Lake Road.

The campsites are on a first-come, first-served basis. We will be arriving early though, to grab several sites. We'll try to accommodate as many tents as comfortably possible into each site.

Food, water, and wildlife
You are on your own for food. But as camping together goes, it is always nice to share. Water is available from a hand pump in camp, but it wouldn't hurt to bring a few gallons of purified water. Bring mosquito repellent! They come out at sunrise and sunset. Fending them off can be as simple as long sleeves and a little deet. I absolutely HATE mosquitos, and they've never stopped me from having fun. Take that for what it's worth. One other thing. We'll be in wilderness. Following some basic rules of wilderness and keeping the campsite free from food will keep the critters away at night!

Hikers and significant others
Don't think that you need to ride a bike to have fun in the Lakes Basin and surrounding mountains. There is much to do and see, and your feet and car can take you there. For those who want to bring your non-riding partner, but are afraid they may be the only one...they won't. There will be at least a handful of girlfriends and wives that I know of and maybe more. Not to mention my very pregnant wife!

Beer!
Yes, there will be plenty of that. Free of charge. It's being graciously donated by a handful of breweries. However, we're making some very cool pint glasses for the beer tasting, which I'll be selling for $5. I'm paying for them out of my pocket, and I'll be reimbursing myself in the process. Anything above the cost will be given back to the brew companies for their generosity. You don't need to buy a pint glass to have a beer, but it'll taste much better that way! ;)

Directions to Packsaddle Campground
From Downieville, continue on 49 north for 17 miles. You will pass Sierra City at 12.5 miles. After 4.5 miles, turn left on Gold Lake Hwy. You will see Bassetts Station General Store on the corner. Follow Gold Lake Hwy. for approx 1.5 miles and turn left on CR-621/Packer Lake Road. In .25 mile, turn right to continue on Packer Lake Road. Within 2 miles, look for signs pointing you toward Packsaddle Campground. It will be on the left. If you pass Packer Lake, you've gone too far!

Carpooling is recommended, if you can do so. Parking is always limited at campgrounds and in small towns, so if you can rideshare it would make life easier for you and everyone else. Plus, roadtrips are a blast!

Rides
There will be three basic ride options. Choose what suits you, and act accordingly!
Shuttles
It is imperative if you want shuttle space, to call Yuba Expeditions or Downieville Outfitters as soon as possible! The shuttles run from 9am and periodically throughout the day, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. They depart from Downieville and drop off at Packer Saddle, an hours drive from town. From camp, give yourself an hour to get down into town, unload and get yourself paid up for the shuttle. Once at the trailhead, the descents vary, but are a minimum of 15 miles of singletrack goodness that can take anywhere from 40 minutes to several hours depending on your ability, side routes and desire for sightseeing. It is a scenic ride. Do not forget to take in the views!

There are other trails within the area for shuttling and are listed on the websites below. Read up, plan your ride and CALL TODAY!

Yuba Expeditions
530.289.3010 (mention MTBR Gathering and receive a discount)
http://www.yubaexpeditions.com/downieville/downieville.html

Downieville Outfitters
530-289-0155
http://www.downievilleoutfitters.com/home.html

Ride from camp
One of the advantages of camping at higher elevation is the ability to ride from camp up to Packer Saddle, where many epic adventures begin. On Saturday morning, those who feel like getting into some more backcountry trails will leave camp and pedal their way to Downieville, hitting trails like Pauly Creek, Big Boulder Trail and other lesser known trails in the remote terrain. We will more than likely have a B-ride and an A-ride. Prepare for a long ride with 3000 to 5000+ feet of climbing at elevation. Plan to bring enough food and water for an all day ride. Both these rides will end with singletrack descents into Downieville. Once in town, we'll all have a chance to relax in the sun, take a dip in the river, grab a sandwich or pizza, and then get shuttled back to camp. Call Yuba or DVO and let them know that you want a late afternoon shuttle to Packsaddle campground. Figure around 5 or 6pm to give yourself enough time to ride and chill.

Shorter rides will be planned for Sunday leaving from camp.

Self Shuttling
There's nothing that says you can't shuttle yourself! But it's not without its hassles. Downieville is 45-minute drive from Packer Saddle, so you'll be in for some driving to retrieve your shuttle vehicle. Just make sure you have a vehicle in Downieville. Parking in town will be limited as this will be a busy weekend, so just plan accordingly.​
Bike rentals and demos
Bionicon Bikes has generously offered to bring a fleet of bikes to the gathering! You'll be able to take one out for the day for FREE! However, if you want to test out a different rig, you can rent Santa Cruz bikes from Yuba, or Specialized bikes from Downieville Outfitters. Just give them a call and they'll set you up.

That's it for now! Make your shuttle reservations, put in your vacation time, and get yourself some fat tires! This is gonna be one epic gathering!

k-max

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I just copied this from the NorCal forum....
Wow, I just got off the phone with Niner Bikes. They are planning on attending the event. Not only that, but they are donating a Niner frame for the raffle!!! They also hope to have a fleet of bikes for all to try. There is nothing like have quality bike companies that want to donate for such a noble cause! Niner Bikes rock!

#4 ·
Up to about 150. BTW... What's with the PBR avatar???! Silly I tell you... just silly!

It seems that the USFS decided to start phone orders for campsites this year. Oh, and they didn't tell the local merchants either! Well luckily enough, Kyle was man enough to just get all the campsites in the campground and reserve them under his name! Sweeet!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Andy aka Rut said:
Up to about 150. BTW... What's with the PBR avatar???! Silly I tell you... just silly!

It seems that the USFS decided to start phone orders for campsites this year. Oh, and they didn't tell the local merchants either! Well luckily enough, Kyle was man enough to just get all the campsites in the campground and reserve them under his name! Sweeet!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
You know I love the PBR:thumbsup: ......the "problem" is I have been on a Newcastle kick lately:D
I tried calling last week to get a site, no one answered the phone/returned my calls hence left me hanging!
Please tell me there is some room for me, I just need a spot for the truck!
Cannot wait to get there:thumbsup:

#7 ·
Just curious if anyone is interested in organizing personal shuttles throughout the weekend? I'll be calling for a few reservations (hopefully there are still some available), but in case there aren't is anyone else willing to shuttle with others??

Also if anyone wants to carpool from So Cal?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.