mtbr member
    Nov 2007

up hill rides near pasadena?

I ride up brown mountain/JPL road 3 or 4 times a week... but it's getting a little boring.

are there any other nice fire roads close to pasadena for a good climb?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by danahs
    I ride up brown mountain/JPL road 3 or 4 times a week... but it's getting a little boring.

are there any other nice fire roads close to pasadena for a good climb?
    Sure. Here are a few that are within 10-20 minutes of Pasadena:

the Verdugo mountains,
    the Mt. Lowe road starting at the chaney gate (above millard campground),
    the fire roads around Chantry Flats,
    the fire road up the Angeles Crest going to Josephine Peak.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At the first ranger station on ACH you can take the fireroad up to Mt. Lukens. There is also an alternate route you can take east over to Grizzly Flat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    One of the meanest is Garcia trial(glendora) to the fire road up to Glendora mountain road.
    There is also Potato Mountain in Clairmont/La Vern.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Just go to the top of Lake Blvd and ride up Lower Merrill about 2.5mi

Go Left and cross over to Mt Lowe railway and go up to Inspiration point.

Go down the middle merrill trail and you will end up again at the top of Lower Merrill (one of the best singletracks in SoCal).

Crossover again to Mt Lowe Railway except this time go left and you will see the Sunset Ridge Trail on the right (about 10 yards down the pavement). It's a great single track

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    MT Lukens is one of the best fire roads near Pasadena. It's about 7 mi. up and will kick yer ass is the process. The downhill is so much fun, and really fast. It's East facing so you get morning sun....it's a beautiful ride = to 2 Brown Mtn uphills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    do you come down El Prieto?

mtbr member
    Monrovia Canyon is pretty good too. You just have to deal with the "parking away" from the entrance if you don't want to pay to park and ride from the car...

Flaccid Member
    For something different, ride up to the top of Brown mountain, then take the KenBuron Trail west on down to Arroyo Seco Creek and the Gabrelliano Trail, back south to JPL parking lot.

FTM
    ride up El Prieto.

also, I second the Mt. Lukens ride - start at JPL parking lot, go up the Arroyo and then climb and climb...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    One note on the Ken Buron Trail (on the backside of Brown): it has some mean poison oak overgrowth. It's simple not as 'maintained' as some of the more popular trails.

I'm suprised nobody mentioned Mt. Wilson Toll Road climb? It's do'able even with that very slight washed out area past the bridge.

Essentially start at/near Eaton Canyon (I think you have to start near, because you're technically not supposed to bike through the Eaton Canyon portion). Then hit the fire road at the bridge. You'll come to a bit of a land slide, but enough people have been walking on it now to have created a small enough foot trail to push your bike through. Hop back on your bike and go up up up for three miles to Henninger Flats, and then up up up up up up another seven'ish miles to Mt. Wilson. It's about a 10 mile uphill ride, roughly. To be honest, I don't know of any longer, all dirt fire road, climbs on this side of Pasadena.

I've gotten bored of Brown too, many a time on work out climbs. Eventually I changed it up and started riding Brown all the way up to the water tank (the full Brown climb), then I swing back down Brown and take a left at the yellow gate (where most Brown climbers stop) and head towards the direction of El Prieto, but I don't drop in. Keep taking the fire road to Lower Merrill and eventually do another ***** climb on an old asphalt road (whose name I don't recall, but I'm sure someone can correct me) and then drop in on Sunset Ridge for some fun single track. It'll poop you out very close to Lower Merrill again and then you just fire road your way back to El Prieto, drop in there, and get pooped out at the JPL parking lot. It's a fun ride. Long and exhausting with a fair share of climbing and two single track rides. Nice big figure eight. Sadly I don't know the exact mileage on that one.