Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Underground Racing on Public land

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  mouse jockey 
#1 ·
Here is an article in the Denver Post about underground races and how the forest service and the BLM are reacting to non-sanctioned and non-official races. I can see both sides of the argument, Just a bunch of guys and gals going for a competitive long ride from Fruita to Moab. Best person wins, no support, no prize just the admiration of your friends and the feeling of accomplishment a hell ride like that can give. So big deal, why is the BLM up in a wad over a few getting together and going for a long ride on PUBLIC land?

Well, what about when that few becomes 200 strong some might say? The numbers say someone in that large a group is going to need to evac help at one time. But is that any different than just a few riders riding the Kokopelli over and over again and some time at one time someone needs help? It's going to happen regardless. No fault, no suit. Rescue guys get more experience rescuing, keeps them from getting bored.

It's PUBLIC land, can't we just ride and have a friendly competition organized and publicly stated on forums without the clandestine actions required by the BLM'??!! Can't we just ride? Am I missing something here?

#2 ·
Most cities/municipalities have public land use laws. e.g., If more than XX people present, certain things must be provided (toilets, medical, etc). I can't see how a few people would cause a problem...but 50 is a pretty big non-sanctioned 'event' in the eyes of the city. Besides, permits+services are revenue for the city.

Btw, I think this is very cool. I'm not agreeing with the law, just trying to give a possible explanation :)

#3 ·
sladnas said:
Btw, I think this is very cool. I
These events are cool, and fun, and hard, and popping up all over CO, NM, UT, and AZ.. so who here knows of a long, cool/classic system of CA trails that can be completed in 10-20 hours?

#5 · (Edited)
Lake silverwood to Angelus Oaks anyone?

I'm a little short on cash to be paying 100 bucks to go in circles for 12 hours this weekend, so I'm going to be doing a self-supported time trail from North End San Bernardino To Angelus Oaks. I'll be starting from 2n49 to silverwood. From there I'll take Hwy 18 to Green Valley lake And take fireroads to Fawnskin. Make my way over to Snow summit and decend down Radford Rd to Seven Oaks.Then ride 2e03 Down to Mentone.
I'll be starting @ 5a.m. on June 16th at the corner of Palm ave. and Kendall Dr(starbucks).
I'm figuring 10-15hours if that. So come on out if you want some:p
www.veezeprice.blogspot.com

This is a recon ride more or less. When i get to silverwood I might be taking fire roads to Lake Arrowhead or take the highway I don't no yet I'm just throwing this out there to see how many so cal riders are into this self-supported Endurance stuff. I love it! I did the KTR (Kokopelli trail RIDE) last month and loved it. I would love to see more of this (unofficial, non sanctioned, no norba lic. required rides )out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.