Kam
    A hopped on pop.

Turnbull Canyon Ride (Whittier) with pics. [o]

so, this is my "weekday" morning ride. i usually start around 7am, and the ride usually take about 1 hour. the route is two loops connected, like a figure 8. total mileage is only about 11 miles, but i think it has about 1000 ft of elevation gain. it's a great quick pre/post work ride.

i'm sure there are a few "local" people who have never bothered to check this area out. if you live close to it, it IS worth your time. there are three trails that people talk to when they hear turnbull canyon, they are 7th st., cow trail and the skyline trail. i ride skyline and cow trail in this ride. 7th is a nice trail that connects hacienda hgts. to the skyline trail. it's got some nice switch backs and a constant grade so it is fun going down (to hacienda hgts.) or a workout coming up to the skyline trail.

my rides starts at the trail head off beverly, right at the base of turnbull canyon rd.

let the pics begin;
    just past the trailhead;

farther up, we'll ride to the lower water tank and go to the left;

after the lower tank, we start to climb. below, you can see the top of the lower tank and the canyon below;

getting close the upper water tower, you can see this monastary and downtown l.a. in the backdrop. beautiful, even on a gloomy day;

after the water tank, we hooke up on skyline;

the skyline trail turns into the slyine rd. we'll take that, hang a right onto turnbull canyon rd.

across turnbull, you'll see the skyline trail, we'll climb to the top. the top is what local bikers call "360*";

a view from the top of 360*, down to the basin;

take the skyline trail and split these two power towers;

a quick downhill and curve to the right and you'll see an entrance to the cow trail. it's the sharp right;

the cow trail singletrack...let the fun begin;

you can see the cow trail hug the hills on the right side of this pic, and whittier down below;

after cow trail, it's a fire road climb back to 360*;

from 360*, we double back to turnbull canyon rd. across and to the left, you'll see a trail off the road;

this trial has a few switchback (nothing tight) and decends back down into turnbull canyon. local riders call this trail "escalators" or "bee hive canyon trail".

here is a shot of some of the damage caused my the rain storm last week. they had just filled in these ruts about 3 months ago. one good rainstorm, and the DEEP ruts are back again;

this trail, that cruises along the ravine in turnbull canyon will take you to the lower water tank. from there, it's a quick spin to the car;

cheers!

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting the pics.

I think I will check this trail out. I don't live near Whittier or La Puente, but I have business clients up there. Makes a good post meeting riding I think.
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    so, this is my "weekday" morning ride. i usually start around 7am, and the ride usually take about 1 hour. the route is two loops connected, like a figure 8. total mileage is only about 11 miles, but i think it has about 1000 ft of elevation gain. it's a great quick pre/post work ride.

i'm sure there are a few "local" people who have never bothered to check this area out. if you live close to it, it IS worth your time. there are three trails that people talk to when they hear turnbull canyon, they are 7th st., cow trail and the skyline trail. i ride skyline and cow trail in this ride. 7th is a nice trail that connects hacienda hgts. to the skyline trail. it's got some nice switch backs and a constant grade so it is fun going down (to hacienda hgts.) or a workout coming up to the skyline trail.
    Cool post! That's a surprisingly fun ride, especially considering that it's literally in the middle of the city. I prefer to start from the Hacienda Heights side, at Orange Grove Ave. I climb the switchbacks (on the right) up and over to Skyline, take Skyline to the trail that drops into the canyon, and climb back out to Turnbull via Escalators. Then, I'll cross Turnbull, climb up to 360* and do the Cow Trail loop. And finally, I finish off by taking the pavement back over to Skyline and drop back down to Orange Grove via the other set of switchbacks. Often times I'll do a second loop just on the switchbacks. It may be a short ride, but it's a good one.

mtbr member

Do you SS that ride?

Kam,

Are you riding SS on those trails?
    Give me a big scoop of Manteca!

[paste title here]
    Nice shots. I wanna go and check that place out. Is the trail esay from getting lost on or are there spots that you have turn into. I thinking to do a little loop or something there. Looks like some awesome views too.
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Thanks for the post

I haven't done that route in over a year. Great hidden ride in the middle of the city.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

i ride ss only...

hey, partial. hydro., i ride ss only.

as for getting lost there, i wouldn't worry too much. you can pretty much just jump onto turnbull canyon rd. and cruz down to your car. getting lost and "exploring" is just part of mtb'ing.

and yes, there are some awesome views from turnbull on a clear day!!!

pm me if some of you guys wanna ride on a weekday mornin'. i'd stay away on weekends...there are ALOT of hikers.

JimN, that is a nice, longish, ride that you described...plenty of climbing, singletrack and techy stuff. i think that first ST that you take down to the canyon is "rattlesnake". if it's very techy, with alot of ruts and sand, and a DHer trail cutting right thru, that is rattlesnake.

cheers!

mtbr member
    JimN, that is a nice, longish, ride that you described...plenty of climbing, singletrack and techy stuff. i think that first ST that you take down to the canyon is "rattlesnake". if it's very techy, with alot of ruts and sand, and a DHer trail cutting right thru, that is rattlesnake.
    Rattlesnake. Yep, that's the one. Honestly, I never heard any of the trail names until I read your post. I just sort of figured the place out through exploring. The route that I described is my favorite. I think it hits all the good stuff and includes a maximum amount of singletrack. There used to be more singletrack over in the vicinity of the Cow Trail, but unfortunately, it got plowed under after a fire years ago.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Wow Kam you do all that in an hour on a SS!!!!!! I must really Suck.... It takes me 30 min just to get to the top tank. And I only live 5 min away... I guess I need to get out more in my Old age

stay thirsty, my friends
    Rode that this past weekend for the first time. AWESOME trail!

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

ride time...

ok, ok. maybe more like 1:05 as far as ride time, but that was almost non-stop, "race-pace", ad with not a sole on the trail.

this ride, with all the pics i taken, took about 1:45.

as far as all the trail names go, i wouldn't know them either but i had a chance to ride with some guys who know the trails there pretty well.

this place is gonna look great in a couple of months, nice and green. i just hope we get enough riders out on the ST trails so they do not get overgrown (i have to admit, this is one of the reasons why i posted this ride report!!! ). about 6 months ago, you couldn't even see the cow trail entrance, it was way overgrown.

cheers!

Old Enough to Know Better
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=Kam]this place is gonna look great in a couple of months, nice and green. i just hope we get enough riders out on the ST trails so they do not get overgrown (i have to admit, this is one of the reasons why i posted this ride report!!! ). about 6 months ago, you couldn't even see the cow trail entrance, it was way overgrown.
    QUOTE]

Cow Trail will look nice and green with all the thistles!

Great pics! Great local ride! The route you described is about my favorite for Turnbull. Thanks for posting!

mtbr member

More Turnbull Pics

Some Turnbull photos from greener days. Not my pics, so I can't up-size them. Plucked from socalmtb.com filler pics.

A few from the Cow Trail:

And some from the 7th Ave. Switchbacks:

mtbr member
    I love riding Turnbull. It's local for me & it's a great place to get a good quick workout.

Here are a couple of my pics:

7th Street Trail

Escalators

out of control only 25%

love it

Yeah, Turnbull rocks. I love riding it. I'm still exploring it too. I havent ridden all the trails there yet. Its about 3 miles from my house so its easy to get to.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

^^^^^bump^^^^^^

sorry for bumping this, but i was kind of off on the elevation gain on the ride i described above. i thought it was a total of about 1000 ft of gain. there are 3 climbs on this approx. 10 mile ride;

here are some measurements i got from my alti watch;

trailhead off beverly to the lower water tower to the upper water tower, 750ft gain
    from skyline trail trail @ turnbull canyon rd. to the top of 360*, 200ft gain
    from the bottom/end of cow trail/worsham canyon trail to the top of 360*, 600 ft gain.

total in 10 miles is about 1500 ft gain. if you throw in the 7th st. loop, you get some nice twisty stuff and another 4 miles and 800 ft. of gain.

cheers!

mp3
    just ride
    sorry for bumping this, but i was kind of off on the elevation gain on the ride i described above. i thought it was a total of about 1000 ft of gain. there are 3 climbs on this approx. 10 mile ride;

here are some measurements i got from my alti watch;

trailhead off beverly to the lower water tower to the upper water tower, 750ft gain
    from skyline trail trail @ turnbull canyon rd. to the top of 360*, 200ft gain
    from the bottom/end of cow trail/worsham canyon trail to the top of 360*, 600 ft gain.

total in 10 miles is about 1500 ft gain. if you throw in the 7th st. loop, you get some nice twisty stuff and another 4 miles and 800 ft. of gain.

cheers!

Thanks for the great info. So with the 7th st addtion it's about 14 miles and 2300 vertical.
    Now if at the end of the loop you described above what about heading back up to the upper water tank but take a left, right before the 3 Bs or 3 Mothers (whatever it's called), and headed over to the single track that heads back down to the street. From your number that would add about maybe 700 more feet and how many extra miles( 2 -2.5)?

If you're interested a buddy and I are planning on doing 5 of the laps I just described this Saturday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I am new here on this board and was for many years (until recently) a Whittier resident. I rode Turnbull Canyon and the surrounding hills for years. These days I still get out there to ride, just not as often.

I would love to hook up with some of you all to ride. I am a bit out of shape right now so I am a bit slow, but I am working to improve that. Normally I ride alone but riding with someone or in a group can be fun from time to time. In addition to starting at the Beverly Blvd. entrance, I used to ride to Penn Park and start riding the little trail behind whittier college. It goes through some of the oil fields leading up to the cow trail. Does anyone know if this is still a viable way to go? Also used to start up at the park behind La Serna and go up and over. I am planining on hitting all the old spots I used to ride to see if they are still do-able.

If there are any locals send me an e-mail. I would like to talk about some of the trails that most folks might not know about. I don't want to advertise here as I am not sure if they are technically a legal trail and I don't want to be responsible for getting anyone in trouble.

Thanks!

Kam
    A hopped on pop.
    yes, if you add 7th, it's 14 miles and about 2200-2300 ft of gain....that's a dman good ride if you ask me!!!

mp3, i am not quite sure which route you are talking about, i know it tough since there trail names aren't documentd well. if you talking about heading down the ST that ends at friends st., then i think that would be about 2.5 miles and abit more than 700 ft of gain.

5 laps huh? you guys training or just plain nuts???

ciaran, i am not sure of the route you described. i know the cow trail (aka worsham canyon trail) gets pretty close to the whittier college. and, from the entrance of cow trail, off skyline, there is another trail (looks like ST) that goes by some kind of dump (it might even be a oil field). that might be the trail you are talking about. if you look at the pick i posted of the cow trail entrance, there is a ST that goes up the hill and off to the left, i think that might be the trail you are talking about.

PM me when you feel good for a ride. i usually ride there very early on weekday mornings. and, yea, i usually freeze my @$$ off!!
    Last edited by Kam; 12-14-2004 at 04:59 PM. Reason: .

mp3
    just ride
    yes, if you add 7th, it's 14 miles and about 2200-2300 ft of gain....that's a dman good ride if you ask me!!!

mp3, i am not quite sure which route you are talking about, i know it tough since there trail names aren't documentd well. if you talking about heading down the ST that ends at friends st., then i think that would be about 2.5 miles and abit more than 700 ft of gain.

5 laps huh? you guys training or just plain nuts???

PM me when you feel good for a ride. i usually ride there very early on weekday mornings. and, yea, i usually freeze my @$$ off!!
    Great thanks! It's a training ride. You're welcome to join us for a lap. We'll be starting at the end of Bev. Blvd. around 6am-6:30ish.

stay thirsty, my friends
    Turnbull is in danger. The Puente Hills Landfill Native Habitat Preservation Authority is having a meeting Jan. 31st to plan the recreational use of the land.

go here http://socaltrailriders.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=90
    or here http://www.habitatauthority.org/ for more info.
    "With that said, until you have done a STR group ride- YOU HAVE NOT LIVED!"
    - dino brown

120 pounds of xc sex!

man

WTF. im so sick of the so cal mentality of building and building till we are breathing on eachothers necks.... and I live in walnut, sourounded by two F-in landfills. one is a green landfill (now closed) and the other is a land fill and is still open. geez.

hey Kam, how was this ride today? dried up>? get back to me, i wanna hit it up this weekend, regardless of my current "supersize me" shape

* actually, too much fried indian food over the holidays, u know the drill *
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<