tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004

tunnel-vs-cold springs

For all those whom have ridden these two trails, could you give me a comparison btwn the two.

I've ridden Tunnel a few times, but have never ventured over to Cold Springs.

Just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

Thanks, tep

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Tunnel & Cold Springs

Quote Originally Posted by tep
    For all those whom have ridden these two trails, could you give me a comparison btwn the two.
    I've ridden both. Tunnel is a bit more technical than Cold Springs, both are great trails!
    I would say that Cold Springs is a great warm up for tunnel and that they compliment each other well. Both are rocky with small drops here and there. Neither has exposure. You can do it on a hard tail or full suspension. These rides are obviously not beginer rides.

Last time I rode out there I rode with a group and we climbed up Romero Canyon and rode down cold Cold Springs. We then did a shuttle up to the top of tunnel, rode down tunnel then up a single track and then down Jessusita trail. It was a great epic day of trail riding with a road ride at the end to get us back to the shuttle. It took a little coordination to set up the shuttle, but was necessary to avoid a long road climb to the Tunnel trail head.

Unshaven Yak
    Whats up Tep! I haven't spent a great deal of time on Coldsprings, but I love tunnel. Too bad it doesn't feel the same about me, but I'm certainly due to try it again. Every time I do Coldsprings, I think I would have had a better time on one of the other trails. I don't know why, maybe we're not hitting the right fork, maybe we are, but it has just never given me that glow I feel coming off Tunnel, Jes or Romero Cyn.

We just did Romero Saturday & I did a solo Jes run on Sunday. Let me know when you want some company, I'm so game these days. Never could get you that link, your email did not accept (or wasn't valid). It's on another thread in the so-cal section though (skip the middle one).

Jes just had trail-work done last weekend, cleared away a lot of that poison oak & increased visibility.

Dave