Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tunnel Trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Tunnel Trail

Any one know if that trail is open. I've heard a lot of SB trails got closed down in the fires but I haven't seen to much about what has opened back up. If anyone could shed some light on this it would be great. I'd hate to make the drive to find out its all closed up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Tunnel is closed. still healing..(was up there 3 weeks ago).
    I suggest you hit Cold Springs...with the recent rains, the run
    should be interesting......

Wait for locals to chime in with more, detailed info.

mtbr member
    Its still closed until June, give it time bro.
    Intense-Hutchinson-Nema

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks. Guess we'll be waiting till the summer to try it out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

I need to ride my bike

I am heading down on 4-20 or 4-21-2011 and want to ride the tunnel trail. Is it open? Does any one want to set up a shuttle?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Quote Originally Posted by southtahoedownhiller
    I am heading down on 4-20 or 4-21-2011 and want to ride the tunnel trail. Is it open? Does any one want to set up a shuttle?

This might come across as harsh but the answer to your question is three posts above...

Quote Originally Posted by zark
    Its still closed until June, give it time bro.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy
    This might come across as harsh but the answer to your question is three posts above...

This might come across as harsh, but the answer to your statement is 3 posts above.

This thread was started in 2-11-2010.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    You are absolutely correct. My mistake. Sorry about that. Missed that whole year thingy.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So do you know if it is open? Last year it was not open yet I saw that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by southtahoedownhiller
    So do you know if it is open? Last year it was not open yet I saw that.
    Yeah man it's open. I can ride after 5pm on the 20th if you need someone to shuttle with.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Tunnel is " NOT OPEN" what part of that do you people not
    understand. When you ride a closed trail it may stay closed.
    Please don't ride closed trails.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Can you tell me why? Is there any thing that you can ride? I still have 10ft of snow so all of my trails are closed. I am coming down for a concert and was going to bring my bike to ride some trails. So what's up?

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl
    Tunnel is " NOT OPEN" what part of that do you people not
    understand. When you ride a closed trail it may stay closed.
    Please don't ride closed trails.

Best, John

Uhhhh, since when is tunnel closed? What part of "it's not posted anywhere" do you not understand? I can find no mention of a tunnel closure on any of the main websites. Nor is it posted at either trail head (as of last week), I've seen tons of hikers and bikers on it recently. I sense a troll.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No troll here. It is and has been my understanding that Tunnel has
    been and is closed. It may reopen around June or July. I ride this area
    often and talk to the rangers quite a bit. Why it isn't posted I don't know.
    Since my understanding is that its closed I don't ride there. If it makes
    you feel better than by all means don't let me stop you. I'm just passing
    on what I've heard.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    There is a long thread on Tunnels at dirttreaders.com. Plenty
    of info there.

Best, John

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    The trail being discussed is Tunnel Trail in Santa Barbara.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay, okay I totally screwed up.When I hear Tunnel
    I think Tunnel Trail at PQ in San Diego. Very sorry for
    all the bad info. The Tunnel Trail is a hot topic in SD.

Best, John

mtbr member
    "Does any one want to set up a shuttle"

Earn your turns, brother. Gibraltar is a gorgeous ride up and gets your legs warmed up for the fun stuff.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer
    "Does any one want to set up a shuttle"

Earn your turns, brother. Gibraltar is a gorgeous ride up and gets your legs warmed up for the fun stuff.
    Are you retarded? Or just a troll?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I like the suggestion of riding Gibraltar first if you're gonna drop tunnel. There's nothing wrong with that, and it's quite doable as I do it several times a year and see others as well. Maybe this is a slippery slope into a XC vs. DH discussion (I'm supportive of both groups actually), but that climb up Gibraltar gives you views that rival any place on earth. Shuttling it is missing out on half the fun, and 90% of the exercise.

There's room for both, but thinning the crowd by riding UP instead of shuttling it from time to time seems like a great idea for the long term viability of having a MULTI use Mission Canyon trail system.

BTW...activism alert: There is a new trail maintenance group in the area that has made getting bikes off tunnel trail it's highest priority (I ran into them last week). We need to stick together as a group so that these folks don't succeed at appropriating public resources for their own selfish purposes.

All IMHO.

SLO Mtn biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbaysurfer View Post
    BTW...activism alert: There is a new trail maintenance group in the area that has made getting bikes off tunnel trail it's highest priority (I ran into them last week). We need to stick together as a group so that these folks don't succeed at appropriating public resources for their own selfish purposes.
    That would be horrible! Riding down Tunnel on a 7-8" DH rig is one of the best rides ever! Hoping to drive south and hit it again sometime this summer.

IMO, locals and visiting mtn bikers alike need to take the high road and always ride down that trail with bells and slow/stop for hikers, being friendly/courteous to them ("Hi", "Have a good hike") instead of scaring them by suddenly and silently flying around a blind corner or blowing by them at 20mph in a straight. I hear from the locals that the tensions are ridiculously high between the various user groups...

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbaysurfer View Post
    Shuttling it is missing out on half the fun, and 90% of the exercise.
    Then you're not doing it right.

Professional Troll
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuke View Post
    I hear from the locals that the tensions are ridiculously high between the various user groups...
    No they're really not. It's a false tension that over zealous people from certain trail use groups use to promote their agenda. I think in the last 3-4 years of riding in SB, and hundreds of shuttle runs, I've had maybe 5-6 people get visibly angry or upset with me or my group of riding. 90% percent of people cheer us on as we hit sections.

Besides, if you've ever been to the local government meetings its obvious the council doesn't have the stomach or the will (or the resources) to change trail access. I'd bet a lot of money that the status quo will remain for the foreseeable future.

SLO Mtn biker!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    No they're really not. It's a false tension that over zealous people from certain trail use groups use to promote their agenda. I think in the last 3-4 years of riding in SB, and hundreds of shuttle runs, I've had maybe 5-6 people get visibly angry or upset with me or my group of riding. 90% percent of people cheer us on as we hit sections.

Besides, if you've ever been to the local government meetings its obvious the council doesn't have the stomach or the will (or the resources) to change trail access. I'd bet a lot of money that the status quo will remain for the foreseeable future.
    I hope you're right. But the fact that they were able to close the Elings Park DH so quickly, worries me...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post

Never ridden tunnel, but this has been my experience too with at least 50 rides on cold springs over the past 2 years. Zero problems with hikers or other trail users. I did have one guy shout to watch out for other hikers. But I stopped a good 30 feet in front of him and once he saw I wasn't going to bomb through their group, he wished me a good ride down. Since then I've seen this guy 4-5 times on the trail.

Key is to ride under control and yield right of way to hikers. I always wear a bell too and many hikers say 'thanks for wearing the bell'.

So I think the status quo with shared access is in great shape. I belong to a few user groups to stay informed and support MTB use (i.e., multiuse trails coalition and SBMTV.org).

That said, there is a lot of scrutiny on these trails from various user groups and I'm concerned that it would only take one serious injury/collision to generate a shitstorm of protest.

R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast